Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fallout (Amazon Prime series) - Based on the games

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah it's just a minor gripe. And another thing that struck me, which makes it feel even less important; I have never before seen a video game adaption that so completely adopts the aesthetic of the games. The jumpsuits, the shape of the vault doors, the brotherhood of steel power armor: It all looks exactly like in the games. And many of these things were designed in 1997, for the first game! That's kind of incredible.

Minor, minor, minor gripe that struck me:
    Vault 33s is depicted laying around the Santa Monica area, quite unhidden and out in the open. This area is thoroughly explored by the time the series is set. Parts of LA have been repopulated for over 150 years, as depicted in Fallout 1. Basically, Vault 33 would have to have been remained untouched inside the New California Republic for around 100 years at this point, which is just highly unlikely. I get that the series is probably going to dwelve into the NCRs being (or not being) but by the time the series is set this general area is pretty civilized and rebuilt, by wasteland standards.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 1 Week Ago at 09:34 AM. Reason: edit

Administrator

England
    Well, okey dokey... That was good

Second series - as long as it can build on a story - can't come soon enough.

ps: And luckily, hardly any adverts during the episodes too!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And luckily, hardly any adverts during the episodes too!
    Indeed!

It kinda varies on Prime lately. Sometimes you get nothing at all (fine by me!), and other times you get a little bit too much. Last night I watched Cinema Paradiso and there were several adverts that were just telling me about dedicated 'channels' on the platform for the likes of He-Man and She-Ra ... like, jog on, will ya?

Far better than ITVX or Discovery+, mind you ... the latter is particularly awful when it comes to adverts.

Anyway! Like Ned was saying, how they faithfully captured the aesthetic of the games was great - moments like hacking a computer terminal were straight out of the game ... ... I never really understood the rules of how to hack in Fallout, mind you, so those always pissed me off, haha.

One random infinitessimal gripe - I did see a vault door wobbling when it opened up one time. It's rolling towards the camera and you can see it jiggling about, heh.

And the Ghoul's line about getting sidetracked by bullshit all the time was hilarious. Although, I have to say, one of the things I like most about sandbox games is getting lost in all the side activities and missions. While you still enjoy the main stories, they somewhat feel like an obligation on occasion, but you can't make a compelling game out of just side missions - you'd never get the emotional impact of RDR2's main story conclusion, for instance.

I've heard that there are various instances across the games where pieces of lore don't quite add up, so some criticism out there from hardcore Fallout gamers feels a bit unfair on that front.

Mind you, I did think Vault 33 was a bit 'exposed' out there by the sea. I mean ... it's just right there.

But then again, like the shopkeeper woman seems to suggest, it's as if the people on the surface just think they're all filled with skeletons ... they're almost a joke. And, to be fair, you'd want your fallout shelter to be pretty impregnable anyway. You can't just rock up and knock on the door or slip in an open window, heh.

Administrator

England
    Not being familiar with the games, is there a narrative/story from the games that lends itself to season 2 now?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Not being familiar with the games, is there a narrative/story from the games that lends itself to season 2 now?
    Short answer is yes. The series doesn't adapt any of the plots in the games, but instead tells a story set in the same world. You could argue that there are 5 different video game plots, Fallout 1, 2, 3, New Vegas and 4. I'm disregarding Tactics and some of the other offshoots. All of the above mentioned games is set after the previous one, and the tv-show is set after Fallout 4. So any new season would probably tell an already untold story set even further into the future.

But if they were to adapt a game, then Fallout 1 would make the most sense. That's set in roughly the same area as the tv-show, but 150 years prior. It's got a pretty good plot.

edit: Also, just wanted to reiterate that I really like this show.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 1 Week Ago at 10:30 AM. Reason: fdsfsdf

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, the show is more 'another story' within that world. While the show is adapting the world of Fallout, even referencing specific characters at times (e.g. corporate bosses), it wasn't adapting any of the games specifically, if that makes sense? So they can tell their own story within this setting that is familiar to players.

To be fair I've only played Fallout 3 (plus some DLCs) and Fallout 4, so I'm not massively up on the overall lore.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Okay I just finished. Initial gut reaction? This is the best possible Fallout-adaption we could have ever hoped for, and a great tv-show as well. Wow. It nails fucking everything. I'm also surprised at how bold they go, considering it's mostly based on ideas presented in the first two Fallout-games, and foregoing the more popular part 3 and 4. It almost wraps up the mystery of the Vaults and the experiments, which were hinted at in the first game and then presented in Fallout 2. Equally, Shady Sands might just be another name for most viewers, but it's the very first settlement you stumble upon in Fallout 1 and the only settlement we ever revisit in any of the games as it's again featured in Fallout 2 but 80 years later.

And that ending shot... Can't wait for season 2.