Thread: How can I become a film maker?

Fresh Meat

Aaland

How can I become a film maker?

I'm 13 years old and I want to become a film maker. The problem is that I don't know how. So how do I? Is it hard? What steps can I do to help myself?

United States
    I suggest you start listening to the audio commentaries on DVDs of your favorite movies, beg your folks for a mac, & start shooting video with your cameraphone.
    Macs come with iMovie, which is a great, intuitive beginner program for would-be filmmakers. Once you're making more changes than that program can handle, take a class n learn some pro editing software.

Then start putting it online!

Fresh Meat

United States

I Started With This.

I started with this 8 minute film.
    This should really help you. After you watch this, watch my video... Look to where we utilized Kurosawa's style.
    I directed this at 53 years of age. The only other thing that I directed was a school play when I was 13.
    I'm told I did a good job, but I definitely asked and received a lot of help from my co-directer. Talk and work with people who've actually done stuff... GOOD LUCK! K.

Watch this one first.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8

Then here's mine...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EIsv6QmEHk

United States
    I'm not sure how to become a film maker but if you work in Hollywood it is probably mandatory to sleep around with the right people.

(that was sarcasm)

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I remember starting out by making little films with my phone, and it was a blast just experimenting with different ideas. I’d suggest picking a few of your favorite movies and analyzing what you like about them—maybe it's the storytelling or how they filmed certain scenes. Also, try joining local film clubs or online groups where you can share your work and get feedback; it really helped me improve. YouTube is a goldmine for tutorials on filming and editing, so definitely check those out.