Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 good thing about Dawn remake

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed

1 good thing about Dawn remake

I have been thinking to myself about Dawn Remake and Is there any good In the movie and no Is still the answer. I watched It again last night and guess what I can say that there Is 1 good thing about the movie this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq3QmtV8vT0

That the only good thing but the film still sucks.

Super Moderator

United States
    I disagree. Crappy Disturbed song aside, I think DOTD04 is one of the better executed, mainstream zombie films of the last few years and it's light years more enjoyable for me than...say...Diary. Scary? Depends on your tastes, but definitely more if an action flick. A 'name-rape' rip off? Yes, unfortunately. One of the best opening-crisis montages in a zombie movie? Hard to deny, I think. Loads of fun? For me it was.

I understand why some people dislike it and I understand why some people parrot the thought, but...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    I like the song but I dont usually listen to music like that, but for the film I hate It and I always will.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    not into Nu-metal by a long shot, and I hate horror movies that use too much nu-metal...(resi evil anyone?)...

One good thing about the Dawn remake? The opening scene perhaps? some of the gore is pretty good, but as soon as anyone in that movie opens their mouth, it's all ruined. Sarah Polley is quite fit in a weird way though....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This again??

Last edited by bassman; 13-Aug-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Sarah Polley

for a Canadian
    I imagine Senor~ Romero won't be lookin too good
    when he opens his 140$ carton of Marlboros up there.

United States
    I liked Michael, Ana, and Kenneth. They seemed like real people. I could relate with them and what they were thinking and how they were acting throughout the movie. No subtext of commentary or plot contrivances clouding their actions or motivations. They stayed true to character from start to finish.

I like that the group started acting as a team after the initial infighting and posturing gave way to the idea that there was nothing and no one else left. They did a pretty good job of responding to their situation intelligently and working together within their skills and character limitations.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I liked Michael, Ana, and Kenneth. They seemed like real people. I could relate with them and what they were thinking and how they were acting throughout the movie. No subtext of commentary or plot contrivances clouding their actions or motivations. They stayed true to character from start to finish.

I like that the group started acting as a team after the initial infighting and posturing gave way to the idea that there was nothing and no one else left. They did a pretty good job of responding to their situation intelligently and working together within their skills and character limitations.

"hey we're in a mall full of food and water but we can't stay here much longer, let's go down to a boat that we don't know is on the water to an island that we don't know exists and hopefully we won't get eaten by the zombies that we don't know are there!"

haha

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I disagree. Crappy Disturbed song aside, I think DOTD04 is one of the better executed, mainstream zombie films of the last few years and it's light years more enjoyable for me than...say...Diary. Scary? Depends on your tastes, but definitely more if an action flick. A 'name-rape' rip off? Yes, unfortunately. One of the best opening-crisis montages in a zombie movie? Hard to deny, I think. Loads of fun? For me it was.

I understand why some people dislike it and I understand why some people parrot the thought, but...
    I agree with Aces: there was a lot that I liked about the DAWN remake, but I would have liked it a lot better if it had not represented itself as a remake. I also would have preferred less of the MTV component. I think the soundtrack was crap, to be honest. I have other issues, with this film, close to being too numerous to enumerate.

But yeah, that first sequence before the Main Titles -- pretty righteous! You can almost forgive the crap that follows simply because the beginning sequence was pretty cool!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i think the thing i disliked most about the dawn remake was the pacing. after i was finished watching it, i felt like i'd just been to a track meet with a golf game in the middle of it.

if that makes any sense at all.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    The original Dawn is one of my favorite films ever but, but I was immensely entertained, and enjoyed the remake. I don't really get the hate with it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    "hey we're in a mall full of food and water but we can't stay here much longer, let's go down to a boat that we don't know is on the water to an island that we don't know exists and hopefully we won't get eaten by the zombies that we don't know are there!"

haha
    Well I figured I'd get about 5 seconds before someone pointed that out. And you're absolutely right. That particular decision smells of trying to push the plot forward prematurely and I questioned the character's actions in jumping to that plan.

But think it through. It's incredibly short-sighted to believe they would've been able to stay in the mall indefinitely. At some point, whether it be days or weeks or months down the road, that conversation has to happen. And if you have any plans to leave you'd darned well better get the move on before the power goes out because that A-Team moment they had wouldn't exist without electricity.

Like about everyone else I wish they would've more properly addressed their options and perhaps at least mentioned something about their food and water supplies, but ultimately I don't think it really mattered. I think they were destined to leave.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The DAWN remake has a lot of good qualities and some bad.

The opening 10 minutes are just awesome. The Escape from the mall was well done, How they kill time while living in the mall (Hollywood Squares game)
    The CJ character. The Michael Character, Ana, and Kenneth. Andy the gun shop guy. Steve (The Rich Snob), there is just a lot of cool things and characters in the remake.

The Bad:

Mekhi Pfifer
    His Preggo wife
    Baby plotline
    Chick going after the ****ing dog.

The good easily outweighs the bad in this movie. Plus the DAWN remake is miles above Land in terms of entertainment value. I think it is also a tad better than Diary. However, I think Diary is better than Land.

This TOPIC should be moved to the DEAD Remakes section. This is not the place for it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post

The Bad:

Mekhi Pfifer
    His Preggo wife
    Baby plotline
    Chick going after the ****ing dog.
    Agree with you on those replacable characters. Cutting them completely from the storyline would have been an improvement.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    I don't know what the big deal is with the movie. I agree that if it had been given a different title it would have come across as a better movie, and the pacing is frenzied, but most movies now days shares with this ADHD pacing. I like the movie more than Land and Diary but they are completely different movies. I prefer the slow Zs over the running Zs, yet the Running Zs I feel are a little more scary.