Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a quick pondering on the competition

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

a quick pondering on the competition

i was listening to the mega 64 podcast and when they got onto cloverfield as a topic one of them said something like "its too bad it came out before diary of the dead, that might seem like its just riding its thunder" wich could be a good point.
    i mean its pretty much a given that were all gonna get our asses down to our respective cinemas to view it but do you guys think that cloverfeilds earlier release could effect diarys box office take?

ViP

United States
    I think that between the folks that didn't like the handheld style of Cloverfield, and the folks that are craving more, it'll all come out about even.

If they released it as wide as Land, I bet it would do similar business.

Super Moderator

UK
    Also, the sorts going to see Diary in the cinema will generally be hardcore horror fans, or hardcore Romero fans.

The n00bs who know nothing and think movies happen in 3 weeks will reckon that Diary of the Dead is ripping off Cloverfield, meanwhile Diary was dreamed up before Cloverfield, right? At the very least, they had nout to do with each other.

Anyway, I might see Cloverfield in the cinema, but I don't really care that much. I wanna see Diary in the cinema though, no diggity no doubt.

England
    Theres a thread on this below.
    At first i didn't think Diary would be affected by Cloverfield but now i've heard some UK reviewers giving there synopsis on Cloverfield i think Diary will be very much compared to it. As you've said i think this will be a good thing though. Mark Kermode even mentioned Diary during his review of Cloverfield on Radio 5 live.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Although the flipside are the idiot "film reviewers" like Jonathon Ross and MTV Movies in their lamest-of-all-that-is-lame movie 'reviews' who'll use it as a short-hand for retards, or as a way to diss it.

God I f*cking hate MTV Movies and Jonathon Ross film reviews - THEY'RE F*CKING SH*TE!

Dead

Undisclosed
    I haven't seen Cloverfield or Diary yet, but I think their styles will make GAR look like he's riding the wave. The more informed people like us know the truth, but the masses who typically don't know sh*t about what they're watching, won't get the distinction.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Although the flipside are the idiot "film reviewers" like Jonathon Ross and MTV Movies in their lamest-of-all-that-is-lame movie 'reviews' who'll use it as a short-hand for retards, or as a way to diss it.

God I f*cking hate MTV Movies and Jonathon Ross film reviews - THEY'RE F*CKING SH*TE!
    I'm not so sure about Jonathon Ross. Even though he has become a bit of BBC whore he is a massive Romero fan and generally loves the "cult" side of movie making. Expect a glowing review for Diary from him even if its mediocre.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Jonathan Ross - Idiot film reviewer? HUH? I've always found him to be level headed IMHO. Plus he's a big Romero fan
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Jonathan Ross - Idiot film reviewer? HUH? I've always found him to be level headed IMHO. Plus he's a big Romero fan
    I agwee, Wossy ain't a bad weviewer overall. His smugness does gwate at times but other than that, I've always found him to be spot on. And yes, he loves Womero, Waimi and Cwaven, which makes him top dog in my opinion.

Super Moderator

UK
    Pfft, Wibble Wobble loves everything. Just watch him on his chat show, it's swings back and forth between his adoration of absolutely everybody and everything they've done - he's read all their books, watched all their movies, and seen all their TV box sets - now, how do you have the time for ALL of that whilst earning your ridiculously large pay cheque?

I don't find his reviews to be intelligent at all, Barry Norman was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Wibble Wobble is doing it as a presenting gig, an ego trip, and is just a fan of movies. Norman is a student of film - there's a difference.

Norman's reviews were far more intelligent and considered. Wibble Wobble's read like something you'd see in Smash Hits or Heat.

Everytime I turn on Film[Year] he's bemoaning a list of grievances. Sometimes, to me, it just feels as if he's picking on a film for the sake of it.

He's not all bad, but he's far from worth 18 million quid, and he's certainly not worth being on Film2008, which used to be quite respectful in my opinion, but now it's gone down hill and joined the dime-a-dozen film review shows out there.

Administrator

England
    Don't agree I'm afraid... I enjoy his reviews and find he calls a duff one a duffer when deserved...

As for his chat show... Generally love it

As for his radio show.... Generally love it

ps: Don't forget he was producing documentaries on cult movies (including Romero & Savini etc) nigh on before you were born!
    Last edited by Neil; 05-Feb-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    So, doesn't mean I have to like him...a bunch of stuff happened before I was born!

But his Romero doc was done way after 1984 though wasn't it?

pfft...opinions again eh?

I duno, sometimes he's funny on his chat show - although at times it's painful, I wanna see the guests, not hear about you having sex with your wife and how massive your ego is - I wanna see the guests, damn it!

But there are still a myriad of better people to present Film2008.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If anything, I think that Cloverfield will help get more people into seats at Diary.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    If anything, I think that Cloverfield will help get more people into seats at Diary.
    I think you're right! For example, I'm going to see 'Cloverfield' tonight, and I bet I end up seeing 'Diary'
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think you're right! For example, I'm going to see 'Cloverfield' tonight, and I bet I end up seeing 'Diary'

Good luck and don't eat...