Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What up brotha!

Undisclosed

Question What up brotha!

I was just thinking why did Romero although always keeping his main character African american did a complete 360º with Day?

Here's what i mean Ben and Peter could have practically been brothers,what with the way they were both very dominate with their reactions to there situation during the crisis and were a main contributer to everyone's survival.
    Even the main zombie in Land had set of balls on him and showed some sort of leadership and usefulness.
    Then there's the laided back,lazy,probably dope smoking,60's mentality with his free livin' hippie loving bullshiit John in Day who was other than flying the chopper pretty much useless!

Why the difference in character but still focus on a colored lead actor?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Doing a complete 360 would have turned him around 360 degrees and thus landing him exactly where he started. Thus, with a black main character.

Besides, I rewatched Night a few days ago, and I think he's too stubborn and arrogant to be very likeable. He's basicly the one that starts 90% of the fights in that film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think part of the night/dawn relationship was due to the fact that he was trying to follow a winning formula, what worked for him in the past. Dawn is so different from night, maybe he wanted to preserve certain elements of that film.

One thing though. That, "the black dude was cast in the lead because he was the best actor we knew" line works once but not twice. There had to be something more behind the casting of ken foree.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Don't start me on my "cool black guy" rant again...
    LOL!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    *car tires squeal*

he never intended for roles to be certain ethnicities except for certain obvious ones.

Undisclosed
    I don't know if Night was totally by accident but Dawn Day and Land (Big Daddy and Cholo) were definitely prejudiced against white people. White people are all crazy, suicidal and the african and latino people were calm and somewhat victimized by the crazy white people. Only Frannie was spared, so maybe it was minorities and women who were superior in the Romero universe.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    I don't know if Night was totally by accident but Dawn Day and Land (Big Daddy and Cholo) were definitely prejudiced against white people. White people are all crazy, suicidal and the african and latino people were calm and somewhat victimized by the crazy white people. Only Frannie was spared, so maybe it was minorities and women who were superior in the Romero universe.

thats cuz frannie heard the myth about black guys

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    thats cuz frannie heard the myth about black guys
    Who says it's a myth? That's some true sh8t !!
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed

Cool Whu...

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Who says it's a myth? That's some true sh8t !!
    Let's not leave out Latino's it's a close tie for first, you've heard of BMW'S!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    Let's not leave out Latino's it's a close tie for first, you've heard of BMW'S!
    That's exactly what i am. Let's not confuse race with color. I'm puerto rican but i'm dark skinned.

Undisclosed

Thumbs up

That's exactly what i am. Let's not confuse race with color. I'm puerto rican but i'm dark skinned.
    Im Latin myself so preach on brotha!

Let's just say im glad were not in last place....i won't be the one to say who's hanging like a 3 yr. old, but when it comes to a member contest its good to be in the higher ranks!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    push comes to shove we're more closely related than anyone else. its no wonder puerto rican people can mistake me for one of their own. even my first cousins husband asked me if i was from there and he's rican

being able to replicate a puerto rican accent isnt helping my cause either

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    Your conclusion that Dawn, Day and Land are "defintely prejuduced against white people" is kind of a stretch.

Dawn, for example, had Latino looking bike gang raiders, Latino and Black tenement dwellers defying the law and shooting at cops.

Day: would Rickles have been considered white? He always struck me as Latino. Certainly, he was not a nice guy.

Land had Cholo, a Latino was a terrorist threatening to blow everything up (whites and non-whites) if he did not get his way. Surely he might have been prejuduced against whites, but it can be argued that he hated everyone regardless of race. Land also had an Al Bundy look-a-like Irish underground leader who as a white man was definetly being screwed by the Man.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Your conclusion that Dawn, Day and Land are "defintely prejuduced against white people" is kind of a stretch.

Dawn, for example, had Latino looking bike gang raiders, Latino and Black tenement dwellers defying the law and shooting at cops.

Day: would Rickles have been considered white? He always struck me as Latino. Certainly, he was not a nice guy.

Land had Cholo, a Latino was a terrorist threatening to blow everything up (whites and non-whites) if he did not get his way. Surely he might have been prejuduced against whites, but it can be argued that he hated everyone regardless of race. Land also had an Al Bundy look-a-like Irish underground leader who as a white man was definetly being screwed by the Man.

i dont see how they could be prejudice films against white people. one point being romero is hispanic/white and his wife is white. so it'd be self hate ya know?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    i dont see how they could be prejudice films against white people. one point being romero is hispanic/white and his wife is white. so it'd be self hate ya know?
    Agree there. Romero is probably the last person I would accuse of racism, and certainly not against whites in particular.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."