Thread: Monty Python 40 yrs, Blimey!

Undisclosed

Monty Python 40 yrs, Blimey!

So Monty Python's Flying Circus ( Mon Tee Pie Thon's Flyying Cir .. Cus. ) was born in 1969, but as a Yank I didn't catch up with it until almost 1973 ( when PBS finally got it to this side of the pond. )

It's no small thing to say that those crazy Brits played a huge part in saving my sanity back in High School, what with my semi sucessful attempts 'Trying Not To Be Seen. '
    But you do eventually find buds who are right proper Loons, ready to spring into a high spirited rendition of 'The Argument Sketch. ' or even 'Dead Parrot. '

And later, with 'Look on The Bright Side of Life. ' as a morning sign on for my fav Philly radio station, I trucked off to Art School, able to spot 'The Larch. ' from a distance.

The astonishing thing is that the refresh button is still there for Python, even with the slightest mention of it. And after watching the IFC six part homage to Circus this week, it's clear I haven't forgotten much at all.

It's more fun than Banging Two Bricks Against my Head while crooning.

"And Now For Something Completely The Same. A Deadite on a Horse, "
    (Cut to stock footage of an audience of little old ladies clapping. )

Wayne Z
    Brought to you by 'Confuse A Cat. Ltd. '

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    The astonishing thing is that the refresh button is still there for Python, even with the slightest mention of it. And after watching the IFC six part homage to Circus this week, it's clear I haven't forgotten much at all.
    You know what? I still havent seen this documentary even though I know the director. Over here, it's a compilation of said series edited to a two hour film called Always The Truth - The Lawyers Cut but you Americans got the full 6 hour job.

That said, it all comes to UK DVD shortly.

United States
    "Oh Lord, bless this, thy hand grenade...that with it, it will blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy, and the Lord did grin... and the Lord spake then, thus shall thou take out the holy pin, then shall thou count to three, no more, no less, three shall be the number thy shall count, and the number of the counting shall be three, four shall thou not count, nor shall thou count two, excepting thou shall count to three, five is right out, once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbist thee thou holy hand grenade of Antioch toward thy foe, who being naught in my sight, shall snuff it, Amen."

From the greatest comedy film ever made...

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 22-Oct-2009 at 03:32 AM.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

capncnut
    "Mr Wentworth just told me to come in here and say that there was trouble at the mill, that's all - I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition."

<da-da-daaa>

PS: Zomb fans, watch a bit of Monty and you might hear a few sound bits from the Rabid soundtrack.

United States
    Zombie. . . . zoooommmmmbiiieeee. . . .hmmmm. . nice woody sound that.

Not like that that damned word Vampire. . . tinny tinny tinny!!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've been enjoying Almost The Truth(the Lawyers Cut) every night this week so far. It's a pretty good documentary.

Am I alone in thinking that Holy Grail isn't their best work out of the three main films? Life of Brian has always been and always will be their best film, imo. And although Meaning of Life is a bit choppy in places, I may actually prefer it over Holy Grail.

Don't get me wrong - Holy Grail is one of the greatest comedies, but I just think it's a bit subpar when compared to Brian...

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Am I alone in thinking that Holy Grail isn't their best work out of the three main films? Life of Brian has always been and always will be their best film, imo. And although Meaning of Life is a bit choppy in places, I may actually prefer it over Holy Grail.
    You're not alone on that one. My friends tend to favor Holy Grail but I've always favored Life of Brian. Perhaps its because I use to watch it all the time with my dad, but the movie has always had a very special place in my heart. Or for the following reasons....

Biggus Dickus
    Judea's People's Front
    People's Front of Judea
    "Blessed are the cheesemakers"
    and of course Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

All their movies are winners in my book, but LoB just tops the list.

United States
    This made me laugh so hard when I first saw it.
    Its on the back of the dust jacket of the hard
    cover version of the book "Graham Crackers' which
    was released in 1998, a collection of bits that Graham
    had laying around as well as stories about him.

Not quite the usual author credits one expects.

R.I.P. Graham died 1989, 20 years ago now.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    love it. have all the movies, season 1-4 and Python's personal best on dvd. all of terry gilliams movies too.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by octo7 View Post
    love it. have all the movies, season 1-4 and Python's personal best on dvd. all of terry gilliams movies too.
    And I have a copy of Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words (The scripts for the entire run of the show. ) and I'm not afraid to use it.

Lemon Curry?

Wayne Z
    Mt Kilimanjaro, the mountain with the biggest Tits in the world ...
    Start Again.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    LoL!!