Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cartoons today-YUCK...

Kazakhstan
    Oh definitely, it's almost a chicken & egg situation.

Also i don't like the way it perpetuates the glorification of the dumb, materialist slag.

These days there seems to be a celebration of being a dumb bastard. For a while people & culture tried to fight the urge to be inane and worthless, but slowly banal bollocks crept into the television listings, everyone got hooked and stopped giving a toss.

Have you seen that advert on E4 for their "dumb" programs, such as the simple life? Not exactly what i'm talking about, but symptomatic. People should demand more from culture and stop agreeing to be spoonfed garbage all the time.

I know this is dangerously close to pretentious holier than thou waffle, but there's so much rewarding, stimulating, moving culture to be had out there, and people would like it if they had the ability to give it a chance, but unfortunately their sensibilities have been irrevocably damaged by our ****-saturated media & society's it's-ok-to-be-dumb attitude.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Super Moderator

UK
    Ugh, tell me about it.

There's a limit to how much escapist simple programming you can have, and shiite like The Simple Life just celebrates air-wasters like Paris Hilton. These people should be openly mocked, unrelentingly so...rather than exploiting them in a way that only makes the companies a load of cash and, as you say, perpetuates a negative image that people are encouraged to agree with and emulate.

Even dumb stuff can be decent and moral, but stuff like My Super Sweet 16 is just beyond the pale, it's beyond dumb and is so far from moral and decent it's untold.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Few other good ones - 60's era Johnny Quest, Space Ghost, Spider Man. 70's Tarzan Lord of the Jungle, New Adventures of Flash Gordon (first season), Return to the Planet of the Apes. 80's Thundarr the Barbarian.
    I was wondering when Thundar would get his mention. I also liked Dungeons and Dragons. Voltron, smurfs, spiderman and friends. Later there was Animaniacs (loved that show!!)

Oh, and I completely agree about the Bratz thing. I forbid my daughter to have Bratz dolls in my house. Unfortunately, her mother is more lax about it at her house. I hate those little hos.
    Last edited by clanglee; 19-Nov-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."