Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rambo - Getting good reviews!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by paulannett View Post
    Bassman, you seem to be forgetting that this is RAMBO, not some plot-driven, oscar winning, tear-jerking, half-assed, cgi-action film for kids. This is pure 80's, back to the basics... big muscles, big guns, big explosions, big death-count (all of which the Rambo brand is now synonymous with, despite First Blood). This is a MOVIE... a popcorn churning, coke-guzzling, maltteaser munching , entertaining movie. Not a classy, upmarket film with plenty to say about the world.

"I didnt say it was a remake. Just that it looks like two hours of nothing but action..."

Sometimes it's fun to just disengage the brain, relax and let the magic happen.

Rambo, **** yeah!
    *wipes a tear from his eye and stands up and applauds with the vigour of a man whos just seen the greatest opera in all the turtle supported multiverses*

United States
    Anyone know where Rambo is supposed to be in this film?

Every ad I've seen is all jungle, which points to Indochina again. Just how is that relevant? Hasn't Rambo already done all the jungle asskicking he can possibly do? There shouldn't be any reason for him to be there this time.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think in his advanced years stallone forgot hed done it allready

United States
    Maybe Korea? Dunno. . but that would be funny.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    This is completely off topic, but did anyone read the novel First blood? Very, very brutal. The movie made Rambo a sympathetic war hero who isn't treated fairly by the system. The book generally upholds that view, but Rambo is a much darker, less sympathetic anti-hero in it, and is almost psychotic. The end differs greatly from the movie too.

MODS FEEL FREE TO PUT A SPOILER (I don't know how)
    Trautman blows Rambo's face off with a shotgun at the end

Anyhow, the new movie seems to show the darker side of Rambo that the previous films never seemed to capture before. For those of you Rambo fans, I definitely recommend reading the book. FANTASTIC.

Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Anyone know where Rambo is supposed to be in this film?

Every ad I've seen is all jungle, which points to Indochina again. Just how is that relevant? Hasn't Rambo already done all the jungle asskicking he can possibly do? There shouldn't be any reason for him to be there this time.

Myanmar (sp?) or the country formally known as Burma. The synopsis of the movie is, Rambo has to get a bunch of white missionaries from the west out of the country.
    Last edited by SoCalLoco; 25-Jan-2008 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Moderator

UK
    I'd heard it was Burma. Stallone asked a mate of his who knows about the world of politics and strife and asked where Rambo would be best suited - Burma was the answer.

So I think that's where the film is set.

Fiji
    It is set in Burma.

Caught it this afternoon, it's easily for me the best one of the series, and a very streamlined film. the violence is disturbingly real, and not at all what the previews make it out to me. it's pretty gorram accurate.

Super Moderator

UK
    Just after posting my post I read an article in Total Film about it and aye, says he wrote to Soldier of Fortune magazine and they said Burma was the place to go. Seems as though they actually filmed in Burma too, and that certain locals who auditioned for roles had their families 'disappear' on them and such.

England
    Yeah stallone said that Burma was chosen because it would be an insult to any of the real serving soldiers of today if a rambo film was set in any of the worlds current hotspots with rambo running around as a one man army & saving the day,i.e. afghanistan or iraq,which is fair enough in my opinion!

But yeah ive heard they have had some pretty tough times filming in burma,some of the actors in the film are real life paramilitarys & theres been threats etc!

United States
    I saw it last night, and Stallone was ****ing awesome. The film exudes a feeling of an 80's action movie; from the jungle locale, to the thin but adequate plot, and to the brutal, over the top violence. I couldn't believe the fact that there were 3 little kids sitting behind me, all under 10. If I saw Rambo when I was their age, I'd have **** my pants.

Anyway, just go see it in the theater. Its a classic example of how to do an action movie right.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I saw it last night, but... eh, I wasn't impressed. The action was top notch, but overly exaggerated in spots. The first half has a lot of forgettable dialog, and the last 35 minutes is just non stop action, no dialog just edge of your seat hard core 80's action, but the film still lacked a lot.

I gave it a 5 out of 10. Its hard to beat First Blood which is the best John Rambo film.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Dead

Undisclosed
    My thoughts on Rambo, it was everything I wanted it to be. Sure First Blood was a fantastic movie and the immediate sequels were more or less a slap in the face of the entire point the first movie made, but I think Stallone was wise to not do an entire rehash of First Blood. At least this one managed to be entertaining and was of a quality some movies out today strive to achieve (more on this in a bit).

The violence was really the selling point for me. When I heard Rambo 4 was being made, I was skeptical because Rocky Balboa was such a great movie and there was thought in the back of my mind that Stallone was pushing his limits with another long-delayed sequel to one of his most popular characters. But once I saw that advance trailer that was completely blood soaked, I was sold on it because I saw the extreme of Rambo III taken to an even higher extreme and I assumed some of the magic of Rocky VI would carry over to this film as well. I think I started to think more postively of this film as I heard Stallone talk about it. I know he really does care for the characters of Rocky Balboa and John Rambo, and I think these last movies were his way of making an acceptable endnote to the two characters who were connected to him so closely.

But now the bad news. It appears that while Rambo did have a good opening, there was another "film" that managed to outsell it by $600,000 for the weekend. And that "film" is called Meet the Spartans, aka Epic Movie 2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

As much as I love America and most Americans, there really are moments when it becomes undeniably clear that the lowest common denominator has much more free time on its hands.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie04 View Post
    But now the bad news. It appears that while Rambo did have a good opening, there was another "film" that managed to outsell it by $600,000 for the weekend. And that "film" is called Meet the Spartans, aka Epic Movie 2.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

As much as I love America and most Americans, there really are moments when it becomes undeniably clear that the lowest common denominator has much more free time on its hands.
    That's to be expected. As you said, most people are just into the nyuknyuk stupidity of certain movies.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    That's to be expected. As you said, most people are just into the nyuknyuk stupidity of certain movies.
    What's the rating of Epic Movie 2? If it's lower than Rambo, that'll explain it.

Plus teenagers are retards.