Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I posted my thoughts on Diary... discuss here

Undisclosed
    Just got back from Diary - it was AWESOME!

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnRhodes View Post
    Just got back from Diary - it was AWESOME!
    I have to agree with your sentiment.

United States
    Just watched it tonight in NY. Thought it was really well made and pretty creepy at times. Most def it was a fresh take on the genre.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Undisclosed
    You guys are killing me. I CANT WAIT TO GO SEE IT!!!

United States
    Wow. Read your review. You really liked it quite a bit, huh DJ?

I didn't find it to be as awesome as you did DJ. I think it was better than Land, but only because it didn't have such drastic problems. It was easy to watch compared to Land.

I agree with you on many points. The narration was good. The main characters were good. I liked them and cared about several of them. The focus on the characters was good. Romero did better with the small budget and microcosm feel.

I diagree with you on several points. I really got tired of the commentary. They spent way too much time restating the commentary. First we'd see it in the action sequences, then we'd get to hear about it in dialogue, and finally we'd get it explained to us in narration. Each location was 15 minutes of beating the message into us followed by 30 seconds of a zombie mass approaching only to be evaded as the group drives off. The movie wasted a lot of time that could've been better placed.

I will say that the plot didn't suffer horribly due to the message. Oh, there was more than enough time where the camareman would've gladly sacrificed a friend for a shot. And the message often slowed the plot progression. But mostly it was believable and the characters made decent decisions. That's a great upgrade from Land.

Where the movie failed, imo, is that it didn't capture any of the claustraphobic and perilous nature of the outbreak.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hi trin,

I don't see it as a failure, nor does the film need to be claustrophobic, it is a road film and the treatment it received was done exactly the way it should have been done.

One of my biggest issues with Land was how claustrophobic it felt, yet was supposed to be an epic event.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Hi trin,

I don't see it as a failure, nor does the film need to be claustrophobic, it is a road film and the treatment it received was done exactly the way it should have been done.

One of my biggest issues with Land was how claustrophobic it felt, yet was supposed to be an epic event.
    I'm not saying that the entire movie was a failure. It was a decent movie. But it failed to tap into the same things that made me love the original series, and I think a large part of that was that it didn't have that "nowhere to run" feeling.

It had more of a teenage slasher flick feel than an apocalyptic survival feel.