Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally saw it, Loved it!

Super Moderator

UK
    Dommm, sorry for pointing that out fer ya.

As for 'post production' battery logo - LAME. She too is a filmmaker, a real filmmaker wouldn't do such a thing. It explains the music, but not the battery symbol - which is equally pointless because Jason himself says about the battery running out, then he plugs it into the mains and he's stuck there wired into the wall - ergo, NO NEED FOR A BATTERY SYMBOL THAT WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN RECORDED ONTO THE FOOTAGE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

*gah!*

Otherwise I rather like it.

Undisclosed
    Just got done watching this and I LOVED IT! Totally smokes Land. Loved the hydrochloric acid scene good stuff. Debra's quite the babe as well

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Just saw it too. I thought it was quite bad, actually.

It was in noway passable as a hand-held documentary. This was a staged film with extremely smooth camera movement, and both [REC] and The Zombie Diaries captured the "You're really there!" feeling better. There were a few times when I actually forgot I was watching through somebodys camera and just saw it as an average scene in an average movie.

The characters were weak too. Overall, it didn't have that much that appealed to me at all. Definetly the worst so far.

Undisclosed
    I was kinda comparing it in my mind to Land. I don't think Romereo was going for the full blown "caught on tape hand-held documentary" feel but using that perspective as opposed to standard film shooting to tell this story. It's no Dawn but I did enjoy a LOT more than Land. I just went and checked out Zombie Diaries 'cause I never heard of it and damn what a gem. Very creepy and I agree a superior film for sure. Juuuust a little twised good stuff.
    Last edited by jplb70; 30-Apr-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As for 'post production' battery logo - LAME. She too is a filmmaker, a real filmmaker wouldn't do such a thing.
    But a real filmmaker did do it, so there.

Ironic that The Zombie Diaries is being cited as "superior" when every living dead seen in the film appears to be your typical 20-something suburban college kid.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    But a real filmmaker did do it, so there.

Ironic that The Zombie Diaries is being cited as "superior" when every living dead seen in the film appears to be your typical 20-something suburban college kid.
    But TZD had a much lower budget than Diary did.

True in that respect that the battery thing is still in GAR's movie, but it's still daft ... whether it was him or it was the editor, or maybe a producer or something insisting on it I don't know, that sort of thing just annoys me...anyway...

Undisclosed
    But TZD had a much lower budget than Diary did.
    Unfortunately, it looks it. I couldn't stand to watch more than 30 minutes without feeling light-headed, but had no problems with Diary or [REC]. The hand-held camera style is simply pulled off better in the latter films, rather than contributing to the overall product looking crude and unrefined like Blair Witch. I simply don't need to be reminded every two seconds that it's psuedo-docu-footage I'm watching in order to get the premise.

True in that respect that the battery thing is still in GAR's movie, but it's still daft ... whether it was him or it was the editor, or maybe a producer or something insisting on it I don't know, that sort of thing just annoys me...anyway...
    But does it really matter who is responsible? You said that "a real filmmaker wouldn't do such a thing," but obviously a real-life filmmaker did.

Is Debra's character even supposed to be a filmmaker or an editor? I can't see why anyone would pay much attention to a blinking icon except in an extremely sort of geek way. There are far greater logic gaps and continuity errors in GAR's films, and most motion pictures in general.

Super Moderator

UK
    As a filmmaker myself, it just annoys me in such films where there is such an affront to video camera reality going on. Why on earth were there so many blue-screen blips between some shots in Diary, why the silly battery icon? It's just daft, also times when tape glitches and static appear - normal cameras and tapes don't do that, or if they do, they don't do it like it happens in these sorts of films.

As for [Rec], there's a moment where the guy rewinds to check something - WE SEE HIM REWIND THE TAPE, as if that's been recorded - WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT ABOUT?!

Such things piss me off with this type of filmmaking, plus in [Rec], I've never seen a professional cameraman pay so much attention to zooming in & out like a coke-addled toddler during scary scenes, in which the camera shakes too much, for me anyway.

As for "real filmmaker", I was generally referring to 'within the film' - no doubt it was used in 'our reality' for the dumb-dumbs in the audience who couldn't understand a low battery with dialogue alluding to that fact alone, oh no they need some silly icon.

While TZD isn't perfect, and at times there are problems with 'camera reality' or 'reality' in general (e.g. conveniently capturing a conversation that's coming through quite clearly on the microphone, but which would probably struggle to be heard on a real microphone - at least at that level and clarity) ... however it was a very low budget film by relatively new entrants into the industry, over the piece I think it was a success - like the other films in this style of late - however they all have their annoyances, affronts to camera reality, leaps in logic and so forth.

I think Cloverfield was the daftest of the lot.

Blair Witch remains the best POV film there's been, however ... at least in my estimation.