Thread: Ethical question #247

Fiji

Ethical question #247

Grim used to do these and frankly they always kicked ass. but i lack his creativity so i doubt i'll be doing them as often.

but here goes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25179632/

TURLOCK, Calif. - Police killed a 27-year-old man as he kicked, punched and stomped a toddler to death despite other people's attempts to stop him on a dark, country road, authorities said.

Investigators on Sunday were trying to establish the relationship between the suspect and the child they say he killed Saturday night. The Stanislaus County coroner said the boy appeared to be between 1 and 2 years old based on his size, according to county sheriff's deputy Royjindar Singh.

"It's been a long night of wondering, 'Why?' — not only for the officers and the passers-by who stopped and tried to help out, but for anyone. Why would somebody do this?" Singh said.

Singh said the coroner does not plan to confirm the identities of the suspect and victim until Monday. Because his injuries were so severe, the child will have to be identified through a blood or DNA test, he said.

The suspect had a child's car seat in the back of his four-door pickup truck. The truck caught the attention of an elderly couple at 10:13 p.m. Saturday because it was stopped in the two-lane road facing the wrong direction, Singh said.

Man pushed off efforts to stop him

As they got closer, the couple saw the man brutally beating the toddler behind his truck and throwing the child on the ground, according to Singh. Two or three other cars stopped, an unusual number to be passing through the remote area surrounded by a dairy, a cow pasture, a cornfield and a farmhouse, he said.

"What we got from witnesses is he was punching, slapping, kicking, stomping, shaking," Singh said. "They tried to intervene and get involved, but their efforts really didn't have an effect. The suspect was engaged in what he was doing. He just pushed them off and went back to it."

A sheriff's helicopter responding to emergency calls from the area landed in a cow pasture at 10:19 p.m. carrying a Modesto police officer who shot the man to death after he refused an order to stop beating the child, Singh said.

Paramedics tried to resuscitate the toddler, who was not breathing when they arrived. The boy was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

No children within the dead boy's age range have been reported kidnapped or missing in Stanislaus County, Singh said.

The incident happened on Bradbury Road about 10 miles west of Turlock, a city located about halfway between Sacramento and Fresno.

What do you do here, it's a remote area, and help is a ways off. how do you respond to this?

Administrator

England
    *HORROR!*

As a parent, this has left me speechless... I can't even contemplate logically answering this question at the moment...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    id probably be pissed as hell if i saw that, go out, try adn stop him and get my ass kicked in the process.

Undisclosed
    I would have fought the guy using any means necessary, including picking nearby objects and using them as weapons. Anything to save the toddler's life. The police were in the right for killing him even if he did stop. He would have been given capital punishiment anyways. At least this saves the state a lot of money.

Undisclosed
    One warning shot. If continued, there wouldn't be enough left of his head to hear the second.
    If I was charged with manslaughter or second degree murder for killing a guy in that kind of situation, then there really would be no such thing as law, order, or even justice left in this country.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    That's an easy one, and should be an easy one for any adult man. You kill the sonofabitch.

You see a grown man kicking a child to death and you sit there? What kind of garbage is that? Seriously, this world is in major decline. I always figured Asia, Africa and Europe would be pretty self-centered and decadent, but the good ol' USA? That is sad.

Nobody makes a stand anymore. Everyone wants to pull the curtains and turn a blind eye to this kind of stuff. And it's really gotten bad after 9/11. Now everyone is so suspicious of everyone else, neighbors don't even converse anymore. All sense of One nation under God and any moral authority this country once possessed ended when we started firehosing civil rights protesters and sicked dogs on kids protesting Vietnam. Now we're torturing folks down in Gitmo. No wonder why somebody would sit there and let a man beat a child to death. The people in this nation are so morally bankrupted and screwed up, and even the government has lost its moral center. Such a shame. Once upon a time, folks fought for what was right whether it was legal or not.

But back to the question at hand, I kill the sonofabitch. Even if he gets me, atleast maybe it will keep him off the kid for a while until some help arrives.
    Last edited by Dillinger; 18-Jun-2008 at 01:02 PM.

England
    Yep, you do what you have got to do and kill the bastard outright with any means at your disposal....no warnings or pissing around with trying to talk him down, anybody engaged in an a barbaric, savage act like this is beyond reason and should be treated like a rabid dog.

I don't believe that any jury in the world would convict somebody for killing a man who was murdering a child in front of them...if a jury did convict, well, they would be no better than the child killer themselves.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 18-Jun-2008 at 09:17 AM.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Tough one, but I say a quick, hard blow to the head with a heavy metal pole might tip the balance in that poor kid's favour. Oh well. Bottom line is though, you don't know how much worse you could make a situation by interferring...scary stuff.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    You see a grown man kicking a child to death and you sit there? What kind of garbage is that? Seriously, this world is in major decline. I always figured Asia, Africa and Europe would be pretty self-centered and decadent, but the good ol' USA? That is sad.
    Ehrm... Excuse me? Time to wake up, buddy.

I'd probably not be carrying a gun on me, so my instinct, wether sensible or not, would just be to throw myself at him. Arms and heads first, and thus try to wrestle him to the ground. If I had a large stick or something, I'd probably swing it aimlessly in the general area of his head or torso.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 18-Jun-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    this is a story i wish i had never read about. it literally makes my blood run cold and as a parent i find it difficult to even wrap my head around it.

now that some more details are emerging about this being the man's own son, it's really, really hard to stomach this one.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Canada
    he was obviusly possessed by a demon. The cops at the scene should have realized this and performed an exorcism on him.

Hell, the passerbys could have said a prayer or two and withheld the demons urge for bloodshed.

I don't understand people these days!

Undisclosed
    Since I don't have a permit to carry a gun yet, I'd have to go hand to hand with him and hope he doesn't mess me up.

United States
    I too do not have a CCW, but even so the risk of getting my ass kicked is outweighed by the need to defend an infant. I would have tried to stop him any way I could, hit him with a rock or a stick or tire iron. I usually carry a knife, so maybe I could have shanked the idiot. Or maybe stuck him with a pen? Bare fists, biting, scratching, I don't know.

I don't know if there is much of an ethical question, just one of courage.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Lord Howe Island
    As a CHL (concealed handgun licensee) I would have given him one warning shot-- right in his brain bucket. If it was him fighting an adult, then I would have given him the chance to stop-- but beating a kid, a baby lie that-- there is zero excuse.

End result, he would be dead-- the child may have died also, but he (the POS) would have been dead-- and I doubt I would have been put in prison for it either.

What a scumbag...I hope Satan is putting a pinapple up his *ss 3 times a day..

War to the knife...the knife to the hilt.
    The end is f*cking nigh!!!

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    how do you respond to this?
    *BOOM*