Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I the only one who actually prefers the......

United States
    I don't know, but I sorta like that fanfare library track when Peter runs for the helicopter in the end. Yeah, it is silly, I agree, but maybe that was what Romero meant to convey. Like the comic book feel of the film, here we have Peter, like a comic book hero, knocking over zombies like a quarterback to a hero's theme that I am sure I had heard on Monday Night Football back in the day.

You know what would have been even more dark, and probably a lot more sucky now that I think about it? If Peter had ran to the roof only to arrive too late to see the helicopter headed for the horizon, Fran piloting away not noticing Peter. And then, she runs out of fuel and Peter watches as the helicopter crashes.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I don't know, but I sorta like that fanfare library track when Peter runs for the helicopter in the end. Yeah, it is silly, I agree, but maybe that was what Romero meant to convey. Like the comic book feel of the film, here we have Peter, like a comic book hero, knocking over zombies like a quarterback to a hero's theme that I am sure I had heard on Monday Night Football back in the day.

You know what would have been even more dark, and probably a lot more sucky now that I think about it? If Peter had ran to the roof only to arrive too late to see the helicopter headed for the horizon, Fran piloting away not noticing Peter. And then, she runs out of fuel and Peter watches as the helicopter crashes.

That would've been a good ending.

United States
    You know what would have made an even better ending?

The zombies not all of a sudden knowing how to wait in line and climb the ladders one at a time up to the exit so they could access the roof! Am I the only one who thinks that is the corny part??

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post

The zombies not all of a sudden knowing how to wait in line and climb the ladders one at a time up to the exit so they could access the roof! Am I the only one who thinks that is the corny part??
    It was handled a little clunkerly...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't know, but I sorta like that fanfare library track when Peter runs for the helicopter in the end. Yeah, it is silly, I agree, but maybe that was what Romero meant to convey.
    What Romero wanted to convey is not always what is best, you know. When the movie unintentionally causes laughter, I doubt that's a good thing.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post

While I don't think it's "corny," I've always felt it to be awkward how quickly the roof fills up with living dead. I suppose it was a necessary evil, but it's inconsistent since the zombies are intentionally portrayed as buffoons throughout the film.

United States
    I like the ending as-is.

Had Peter killed himself he would've defied the character they'd spent the entire movie establishing. He was the hero and the level-headed one. Would he leave pregnant Fran alone on the roof? No. Not his style. That would've ruined his character for me.

Also, if the chopper was so low on fuel that it couldn't have even lifted off then we would be forced to ask some serious questions about their preparedness. We saw them stocking the chopper with supplies. We know they were planning to leave the mall anyway. Stephen would've known they were too low on fuel to get anywhere. That revelation at the end of the movie would've damaged the intelligence of the movie.

I agree with others who say it would be too formulaic after Night.

I also think the ending left us with equal amounts of hope and depression. Although we don't see their ultimate ending, by the movie ending without telling their story one could almost infer that their story was at an end.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    What Romero wanted to convey is not always what is best, you know. When the movie unintentionally causes laughter, I doubt that's a good thing.
    True, EvilNed, unintentional laughter is never a good thing for a film.

But I do think that the laughter-response was intended by Romero at that point, however misplaced it might be.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    And the music they slapped on the theatrical print is just horrendous. I've never watched that ending with any of my friends and NOT have them crack up at that music when Peter decides to roll!
    The "hero choon" for Peter's escape is insane, and hilarious, what in Gods name moved them to include that?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    True, EvilNed, unintentional laughter is never a good thing for a film.

But I do think that the laughter-response was intended by Romero at that point, however misplaced it might be.
    Considering it's library music, and the difference in the Goblin music that replaced it, I very much doubt Romero intended it to be humorous... Why would he want that? If he did, then it was a failed experiment, and I don't think anyone would disagree with that.