Thread: So what's your album of the year been?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

So what's your album of the year been?

What is the one particular CD that you have not been able to stop listening to this year?, doesn't have to be FROM this year mind, mine isnt.
    I was in hmv last month buying some cheap doovd'es (for some reason they were having a sale on cohen brothers flicks) and i got a cd thrown in as part of a sale of unshifting stock, so i picked up demon days by the gorillaz.
    Id heard ,like almost every brit in the summer of '06 or '07, feel good inc. and dare, but i was surprised that, even though this wasnt "my kind of music" that ive been listening to this almost every other day for a month or two now, and its been awhile since i got into an album like this.

Heres the live in Harlem playing fire coming form the monkeys head as a prime example of the sound in this album, with dennis ****ing hopper no less.

- by the way, say what you like about land, hopper was great in that movie.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You know I want to answer this question and at the same time don't want to answer it.

I haven't purchased a CD in 8 years. I don't know who the hottest music artist is right now, or what the coolest song is at the moment. I guess I hit that age where I listen to nothing but 80's and some 70's stuff, maybe some early 90's, but when i stopped Dj-ing, i sold everything on CD I had that i didn't want (5000 discs), sold most of my vinyl collection (Dance, Trip Hop, Techno) and haven't looked back.

This is how dated I am... the hit song the last time I bought a CD was Eminem's The Real Slim Shady. When i reired from Dj-ing it was because of the lack of any good music.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

England
    "Do You Like Rock Music" - by the mighty "British Sea Power"

No Lucifer...

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    You know I want to answer this question and at the same time don't want to answer it.

I haven't purchased a CD in 8 years. I don't know who the hottest music artist is right now, or what the coolest song is at the moment. I guess I hit that age where I listen to nothing but 80's and some 70's stuff, maybe some early 90's, but when i stopped Dj-ing, i sold everything on CD I had that i didn't want (5000 discs), sold most of my vinyl collection (Dance, Trip Hop, Techno) and haven't looked back.

This is how dated I am... the hit song the last time I bought a CD was Eminem's The Real Slim Shady. When i reired from Dj-ing it was because of the lack of any good music.
    I agree,I'am not really into music anymore.I can't remember the last time I got a new CD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i haven't purchased a cd in eons either. most of the stuff i listen to is from back in the day.

i'm still very much into music though, i just don't really pay attention to the new stuff out there.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hopelessly stuck in the 70's and 80's. Can't help it. That to me, was the last time music was good.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

England
    Bub and DJ, there is plenty of good modern music out there, you just have to wade through a sea of instantly forgettable brain numbing sh*t to find it.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United Kingdom
    Hopelessly stuck in the 70's and 80's. Can't help it. That to me, was the last time music was good.
    Ah, but there were some good/ interesting 90s bands too NIN, Manson, Slipknot and Nirvana being among my favourites.

My album of this particular year has probably been Mindless Self-Indulgence's new one.

I think this is my favourite song:

"I like my coffee black, just like my metal."

Apologies for the annoying censor-silences, you'll have to insert your own mental "f*cks".
    Last edited by Chic Freak; 03-Sep-2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Super Moderator

UK
    This year I've bought two CDs, well actually one was a present, so I've bought one CD this year so far.

Bought:

M83 "Saturdays = Youth"

Present:

M83 "Digital Shades Vol. 1"

I get a lot of various tracks from hither and thither, like at the moment I'm all about The Dark Knight soundtrack (particularly the track Why So Serious, as well as the Batman theme from Batman Begins), and that track "Paper Planes" (it's so catchy and was in the trailer for Pineapple Express, and I wasn't paying attention when it first came out ), and "The Order of Death" by Public Image Ltd, which was the closing track of this movie called "Hardware" that was on Zone Horror t'other night, oh yeah and another track used in that flick called "StigMata" by Ministry is spiffing too.

Mind you, I like Slipknot's latest single as well, that's quite good...I don't listen to the words much though, it's all about the sound of it.

There's also a bunch of other tracks I'm all about at the moment too, but yeah, I don't really buy many CDs, usually ones for my favourite bands when they come out. But yeah, I am finding myself widening and widening, gap wise, from the current music scene ... I guess at 24 I'm "getting too old for this sh*t".

Yeah, it's generally been an M83 and soundtrack heavy year this year.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Ah, but there were some good/ interesting 90s bands too NIN, Manson, Slipknot and Nirvana being among my favourites.
    Manson, slipknot, and Nirvana I don't consider to be music. Nirvana is technically responsible for the transference of grunge to emo. NIN is probably the only group in that list I might listen to occassionally, however, if I am going to go early 90's, the band I prefer is Alice in Chains and the only album I dig is Facelift.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Manson, slipknot.

cartoonish clowns playing at music. never have been able to stand either. manson in particular. the guy is a pretentious dork who looks like he escaped from a cartoon by tim burton.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post

cartoonish clowns playing at music. never have been able to stand either. manson in particular. the guy is a pretentious dork who looks like he escaped from a cartoon by tim burton.

EUR-eeeekaaaaa!

LOL, yes, the single best description of Manson yet.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm not big on slipknot either but even if you don't like they're music or their whole set up, you've got admit that some of them have some talent. Their drummer Joey Jordison, for example.

I don't like Manson either, but John 5 is a pretty bad ass guitarist. His solo albums range from bluegrass to metal and it's quite impressive.

Anywho, I can't think of any cd's I've bought this year except for Dave Matthews Band Live at Piedmont Park. Good show. One of their members died not too long ago. Leroi Moore. He was pretty damn good on the sax...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Lil' Wayne: The Carter 3
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

capncnut
    I enjoyed Manson's music for the duration of the first three albums, after that it all went a bit flat. NIN I love! Slipknot's new album is pretty good, I've played it a few times since I bought it last week.

I buy a lot of CD's. While I do download a fair bit, if it's music I like then I have to own the original. Started buying all of David Bowie's albums from scratch, his music is speaking volumes to me lately.

My top three albums of the year are:

The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath

dEUS - Vantage Point

Sonic Youth - SYR7: J'Accuse Ted Hughes
    Last edited by capncnut; 03-Sep-2008 at 07:40 PM.