Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can they die of starvation? In Gars movies...

Banned User

Aaland
    Zombies will never starve to death, they may get full but never starve to death.

United States
    They can't get full. They'd eat forever, if they could.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneCrusader View Post
    They can't get full. They'd eat forever, if they could.
    LoneCrusader, I like how you are bringing 2 year old topics back to the top of the list. Makes what was old, new again. Three quick comments...

To the original post...I agree with rightwing401 who said "Never. Logan made it very clear in Day.

"It wants me. It wants food. But it has no stomach, can take no nourishment from what it ingests. It's working on instinct. A deep, dark, primordial instinct."

I also agree with jim102016 who said "Come on, MJ, those infected people in 28 Days aren't 'zombies'! Getting a drop in the eye and going crazy is far from dying and then coming back as a walking corpse! But, good topic.

Finally, to your comment LoneCrusader that " They can't get full. They'd eat forever, if they could." I think it would be more accurate to say they would never stop attempting to eat. While nothing would stop them from ripping flesh with their teeth, and ripping out intestines with hands, at some point, their stomachs would be literally full, and they literally could not get any more food in there. Unless something about making the dead come back to life makes stomach acid super fast acting, breaking down food almost immediately, which brings to mind the concept of piss and shit constantly seeping from the bodies of the undead.

United States
    i'm about 78% sure you were being sarcastic about liking how i bring back old topics. i don't see why it matters. if a thread is interesting enough, i don't see why it should just rot a few pages back when the discussion can easily continue.

and that's an interesting point you made about the piss and shit and stuff. i guess it would just kinda start seeping out of their stomach. or it would just kinda bust it open, like a balloon.

United States
    i'm about 78% sure you were being sarcastic about liking how i bring back old topics.
    You would be 100% wrong then! (Or would you be 78% wrong? I'm 69% sure I dont know what the percentage would be .....)
    A big clue would be if I DIDNT like you bringing back old topics, chances are I wouldnt reply to them, and especially wouldnt go to the trouble of replying to 3 comments in them.

and that's an interesting point you made about the piss and shit and stuff. i guess it would just kinda start seeping out of their stomach. or it would just kinda bust it open, like a balloon.
    No I dont think so. What I meant was that once the stomach was full, no more could enter. If you and I were to keep eating until our stomachs were literally full, and then ate more, I am pretty sure we would vomit. I think a zed would either vomit, or if zeds dont vomit, then their esophagus would be full, up to the back of their throat, and literally food would have no where to go except to fall out of the mouth.

United States
    i don't think they can throw up.

and, yeah, i was thinking that, that they'd just get full to the point that they can't even put food in their mouth. but i think their stomachs would sooner just rip open and the food would just seep out of them..

United States
    i don't think they can throw up.

and, yeah, i was thinking that, that they'd just get full to the point that they can't even put food in their mouth. but i think their stomachs would sooner just rip open and the food would just seep out of them..
    This is indeed possible, but unless they were shoving food down their throat with great force, like how they pack stuff in cannons with a big pole, I dont think enough pressure would exist to rip the stomach open. Even if so, we see in Day that they would continue to try to feed even if they didnt even have a stomach.

United States
    Zombies would eat like dogs. They would just gorge themselves until their stomach burst, and then keep eating. It would obviously be gross but it would also work to incapacitate the zombie. They probably wouldn't be too mobile if their stomach burst.

It was also pointed out (I think in Dawn), how zombies only eat something like 10% of the available meat on their victims. Is that due to the victim reanimating and getting up and walking away? Or are zombies just slow eaters?

Something else to think about. Weather and elements would play a BIG factor in a zombies decomposition rate, but so would insects and various scavenger animals, like rodents. I think that packs of zombies would be constantly surrounded by hoardes of stuff trying to eat them! I also think that these types of animals would become more aggressive in procuring its own "food" and not be easily frightened off by shuffling zombies.

What do you all think?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    It was also pointed out (I think in Dawn), how zombies only eat something like 10% of the available meat on their victims. Is that due to the victim reanimating and getting up and walking away? Or are zombies just slow eaters?
    I always figured BOTH.

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Something else to think about. Weather and elements would play a BIG factor in a zombies decomposition rate, but so would insects and various scavenger animals, like rodents. I think that packs of zombies would be constantly surrounded by hoardes of stuff trying to eat them! I also think that these types of animals would become more aggressive in procuring its own "food" and not be easily frightened off by shuffling zombies.
    I always thought that maybe whatever the process is that reanimated them has done something to them to render them "unpalatable" to maggots & such.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I always thought that maybe whatever the process is that reanimated them has done something to them to render them "unpalatable" to maggots & such.
    I always chalked it up to that being impossible to film back then. LOL!

Still, you have a valid point. That could be an explanation why we don't see any of that. I always figured that zombies would stink up to high heaven too, but it was never really addressed until Land rolled around. I would think that a zombie would have a hard time sneaking up on anyone, because their stench would give them away before they showed up. Especially a horde of them!

Phew!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    People need to stop calling the rage-infected living humans from 28 Days Later zombies!!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    People need to stop calling the rage-infected living humans from 28 Days Later zombies!!!
    Amen brother. I fully agree!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think they just eat because they're depressed and bored. That's my theory...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I think they just eat because they're depressed and bored. That's my theory...
    "I loooove chocolate... but I can't eat it cause it makes me fat."

United States
    Maybe you guys have a point. Zombies must be enrolled into Overeaters Anonymous! Only by talking (or grunting) publicly about their issues of boredom and depression, can they hope to overcome their constant "need" to feed.

"My name is Bub and I over eat."