Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting article at Cnet regarding new Sega console

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ringedge sounds like a handheld name to me.

much as i love my psp its for damn sure no competition for the ds. if they can fill the handheld niche' the psp should have, to release action and rpg games and stuff that plays like a console one but on the go then they'll do fine as long as they release stuff regularly and advertise. two things the psp fails at.

it aint a dreamcast 2 but ill take it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    What next? The Sony Turdstar!?
    that's actually the ps3's original working title.

if sega does come up with a new console, i hope it puts the ps3 out of its misery, given how badly sony shot themselves in the foot with this gen's console and how lamely they've been limping along since...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    that's actually the ps3's original working title.

if sega does come up with a new console, i hope it puts the ps3 out of its misery, given how badly sony shot themselves in the foot with this gen's console and how lamely they've been limping along since...
    I'd purely just like to see that happen because Sony shafted SEGA off the market, so it'd be hilarious to see SEGA bitch-slap them back in revenge.

"Ringedge" though ... ... that just sounds like butt-hole-play, like running your pinky around a bungpiece like you would a champagne glass to make it do that high-pitched whine ... ... but with a butt, it'd just fart at you.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    ringedge sounds like a handheld name to me.

much as i love my psp its for damn sure no competition for the ds. if they can fill the handheld niche' the psp should have, to release action and rpg games and stuff that plays like a console one but on the go then they'll do fine as long as they release stuff regularly and advertise. two things the psp fails at.

it aint a dreamcast 2 but ill take it.
    In all fairness, the reason the DS is more popular than the PSP is because the DS is pretty much a "non-games" console - literally 50-60% of the DS's titles are self-help and/or educational software aimed at people who, by-and-large, don't like computer games. The remaining 40-50% is made up primarily of Japanese 2D RPGs, kids' puzzle games, "cyberpet" games, kids movie franchise licenses and "grown-up" console titles remade into a series of mini-games.

Now, I'm not dissing the DS at all. I think Nintendo were very smart to do what they did and there are a lot of people out there who love the DS and I can see why.

On the other hand, the Sony PSP is a (successful, IMO) attempt to condense a "grown-up" console into a handheld, delivering an experience comparable to that of the PS2 in a form that can be carried anywhere. Now, the console's primary drawback is the somewhat more limited range of titles in comparison, as well as not featuring the same kind of uber-flexible, newbie-friendly control scheme as the DS. Unlike the DS, the PSP is specifically a gaming device, and is utterly committed to that one goal at the expense of a wide market share.

The PSP was never destined to fill the same niche as the DS. The PSP is made for gamers and the DS is made for everyone else. In spite of it's more limited market share, the PSP actually does pretty good business - far better than any non-Nintendo handheld has ever done before - specifically because they don't target themselves at Nintendo's handheld market (whereas the likes of the Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear tried to go head to head with the Gameboy and either lost outright or struggled seriously to make a profit). The PSP is enough of a financial success that Sony will probably replace it with a PSP 2 when the time comes.

Which begs the question - is there room for a new Sega handheld (or a Microsoft one for that matter) in today's handheld market. Either they're gonna have to target the hardcore gamers and compete with the PSP's successor (I don't think Sega are still "hardcore" enough to satisfy the PSP's audience) or go head-to-head in the "gaming lite" world with the DS (which has such a huge market share I don't think anyone can seriously challenge them).

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Which begs the question - is there room for a new Sega handheld (or a Microsoft one for that matter) in today's handheld market. Either they're gonna have to target the hardcore gamers and compete with the PSP's successor (I don't think Sega are still "hardcore" enough to satisfy the PSP's audience) or go head-to-head in the "gaming lite" world with the DS (which has such a huge market share I don't think anyone can seriously challenge them).
    I think there will always be room for a new console/handheld and I truly think this is Sega's last shot. In March, they will be bracing themselves for a loss of over 235 million dollars and in Japan 110 Sega arcades will be closed/sold off with a possible 500 employees laid off.

A successful new console/handheld could sort all that.