Thread: Behind The Mask; The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Undisclosed

Behind The Mask; The Rise of Leslie Vernon

So I was watching this retrospective on cable about the Friday The Thirteenth movie series when this modest little film came after.

Behind The Mask; The Rise of Leslie Vernon.

This 2006 slasher pic is Jason Vorhees meets Blair Witch as a documentary film crew goes about recording the planning and preparations behind a killing spree, a la your favorite slasher character. As the title villain explains, it's nothing personal, it's just a job like any other.
    While this sounds fine and good and fun for all Horror fans, we've seen this all before. Even the presence of Robert Englund as a Dr. Loomis clone doesn't quite raise this Scream wanna-be to the level it could have been, which gets mired in the very same conventions it claimed to skewer early on.
    Some moments were nice, like a retired serial killer who waxes nostalgic about his time as a movie style mass murderer while his adoring wife happily cheers the presence of an Ahab( a good guy with a grudge )for our rising star.
    Unfortunately, by the third act Behind The Mask loses alot of steam, and some supposed revelations were telegraphed ahead of time.
    Still, it's worth a look see with some fun to be had, and a final punchline by Englund( a deliberate rip on Halloween )which was pretty good.

Wayne Z

Doug Johnson: What kind of a survivor girl passes out in a pinch?
    Todd Best: Passes out? What kind of survivor girl hops on the nerdy kid's johnson like it's a pogo stick?

ViP

United States
    I thought that this was the best horror film of last year. Everyone who likes slasher films should see this at once. Independent gold I tell ya!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've had this on my XBOX's Netflix since the day the Netflix service started, but still have yet to watch it. It looks pretty damn good to me, though.

PS - Wayne, you're a pretty good writer. Do you happen to write reviews for a website or anything?