Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Teaser Trailer

Undisclosed
    this looks promising (crosses fingers )

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Not sure about this one - smacks of Diary but has a little shade of Land in there too...but no real hint of anything "dawn" or even Day...I'll obviously reserve judgment and look forward to it's release - I just hope stuff actually HAPPENS in this movie!!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I'll agree with some of you guys that this teaser seems to be unofficial.
    But it still depicts alot of what the film seems to be focused on.
    The film seems much more action based, which really is a relation to Dawn more than any of the other films. Dawn has a sense of adventure that seems to evade recapture by Romero, but maybe he never intended to.

Although I'm generally looking forward to this coming out, I have a few complaints/issues about the teaser and the style of Romeros recent work:

The use of digital seems to degrade the overall quality of the gore and visceral impact of images. I understand that this teaser is not the finished product, but it is easy to tell what the final image will look like visually.
    The use of digital in horror films is truely a poor choice, unless it is stylistically done such as in Diary or 28 days later, the film loses a sense of reality and edges that are important in a genre that relies so heavily on images. The outdoor shots in this teaser look absolutely perfect, it is there that digital shines. However, looking at the darker shots, it makes the images fake looking and plastic. It makes it seem like a made for TV movie, which it should not. If you want to convey the stark reality of a situation you do not paint everything faux dirty and point a digital at it, you use some grainy film. It just doesnt look good on make up and blood IMO.

My other complaints are largely about Romero's writing. His direction remains friggen awesome. He just needs to stop giving characters accents, lame ass nicknames, hamfisted commentary, forced oneliners. Accents can ruin a character if they are not legit (Diary). Superfluous nicknames are painful (Land). Assuming characters are under the threat of death by being eaten alive most would not make cheesy one liners (land, diary). So I hope that we don't see too much of that stuff.

The teaser doesnt really seem to have much in the way of botched social commentary, which is good. If there is commentary I hope its subtle enough to support the story and not become the story.

Overall the premise is pretty cool, it seems like there will be alot of clash between personalities which is always good. I'm pumped, even though I might seem overly critical of Romero. I just want my boy to throw some solid punches before he goes down for good.
    Also what the hell island includes that mix of Scottish old men, cowboys, and soldiers? Nova Scotia relocated to Texas?

Just been bitten archivesofthede's Avatar

Undisclosed
    A case study of what?

Do you guys/gals really think people would "keep" their loved ones even after they are zombies? I guess in hopes that someone finds a cure?

I wonder how many would die trying to do this.

Not sure it is worth it.
    ARCHIVES OF THE DEAD - RIP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    just seen it on youtube and can't wait. it looks pretty good.

United States
    I for one will go see the movie, as a rough cut it was fair..it has all the elements I like in a zombie movie... zombies, gore, action!
    I always give respect for Mr. Romero's work, atleast he is still out there giving us all what we want..zombie movies!
    As always I hold out hope for this to be THE one that will knock my socks off!
    As long as he is willing to make them, I am willing to watch!
    Besides, we all have fun being armchair critics now dont we?
    So, "break a leg" as they say in the theater for good luck, I hope this is the one we all have been waiting to see since our beloved "triology".

I do agree with what some of you have said about the zombies mugging for the camera. Really, GAR should look here for his extra's we all would be very GOOD zombies for him now wouldn't we?

Super Moderator

UK
    I do agree with what some of you have said about the zombies mugging for the camera. Really, GAR should look here for his extra's we all would be very GOOD zombies for him now wouldn't we?
    If memory serves, it's some sort of Canadian actors union type thing - i.e. they can't get fans in to play zombies (like they used to), or indeed American bit parters and backgrounders, due to some Canadian acting law or something ... I remember GAR mentioning something about that a while back - which means he has to get local zombies when making flicks in Canada, his new home.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    isn't anyone else bothered by half the people in the movie being dressed like it's 1885? stetsons? fucking duster coats? i half expected to hear the old clint eastwood western sound cue. and... was that two dudes having a square off gunfight there at one point??? give me a fucking break.

granted we aren't sure of the exact location of this movie but since diary was in PA and the army dude is supposed to be the same guy, he probably couldn't have gone that damn far from PA. that to me makes the costumes that many of the people in this trailer are wearing absolutely fucking ridiculous.

at least it isn't in first person...

Just another example of GAR being a bit out of touch where small details are concerned. Part of his style, found in every dead movie in some way or another. If you really want to break it down, the gentlemen (Brubaker from Land?) representing the U.S. armed forces in the trailer (U.S. Army I'm assuming) is wearing a uniform that's no longer in circulation.

Think I'm going to have to wait and see with this movie, trailer doesn't look all that appealing to me. I wish it were set some place other than an island. I'm looking forward to World War Z myself.
    Last edited by jim102016; 18-Feb-2009 at 11:18 PM.

United States
    mz..thanks for the info but I did hear about that and I think it sucks! I think GAR should come back to PA and make his movies. IMO I believe the movies would be even better made here.
    I honestly dont understand why he doesn't because PA has new tax breaks and other stuff I guess to attract filmmakers here to make their movies.
    They just make "My Bloody Valentine 3D" right here in my own town.
    Which was soo cool.
    I still hope GAR will come back here and make atleast one more film!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It seems as if Canada isn't working out too well for GAR. Maybe it's the water up there.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Well one thing GAR said about PA was that all his chums in the film community they had going there are either dead or have moved on elsewhere (e.g. LA or whatever), or they're not 'in the biz' anymore - and he found Grunwald in Canada (correct?), so he's kind of got that PA vibe he used to have up there - that's what GAR has essentially said anyway, if I'm not mistaken.

I do think GAR fans make FAR better zombies though - they just know what to do...and it's one of the reasons why Dawn is so memorable.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    What!? Does the US have a monopoly on zombies fans? Surely there are just as many Romero fans in Canada (percentage wise) as in the United States. Where are they all?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    What!? Does the US have a monopoly on zombies fans? Surely there are just as many Romero fans in Canada (percentage wise) as in the United States. Where are they all?
    But, if memory serves, a problem arises where the zombie extras have to be actual extras - not just random fans. They have to be signed up, or unionised or some bullshit, as background artists to become zombies in Canada for a GAR flick ... something like that, I remember him saying about it a while back.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Aye. In the first 3 they are kind of slow and clumsy like their in a trance with the occasional vicious one. The modern one is kind of twitchy and they all seem the same. I know Uncle George doesn't like to coach them but maybe he should

I am with George, no coaching. I tried that once on Dead 2, and it turned out to be a disaster. So I gathered everyone around and took them through a story of a zombie infested world, asking them to imagine if they were dead but retained a slightest hint of their memory. You come here, to the theater, a place that makes/made you happy, but for some reason you don't know why you're just driven here. You're in this trance driven by an unknown force, and that force make you crave the need to be inside, but also crave killing a lot of people.

Some people ran with it, and the second take was much better, some other not so well. It comes down to some people cannot take direction very well. While I didn't coach their walking style, I wanted to give them some thoughts on life as a zombie.

No where I did coach was in the running. I didn't want the whole crowd to be track stars, I wanted them agile, but not olympians. Only a few zombies were ever allowed to sprint, but they had to have a growing anger inside to want them to act like they will stop at nothing.

I was more concerned with the running zombies coming off horrible than the shambling zombies. Although like I said I tried to coach shamblers once... big mistake. Never again.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*