Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panic Rooms

Undisclosed
    I think some folks are confusing a panic room with a fallout shelter, two very different rooms for two very different sets of circumstances, and requiring two very different plans.

A panic room is the place you herd the wife and kids into when you hear glass breaking at 2am while you call the police with a with a cell phone in one hand, a semiautomatic handgun in the other. A panic room has a reinforced door, with heavy duty locks, weapons, communications, the keypad to your alarm so they can't shut it off or otherwise disable it, plus it'll tell you where the intrusion is, maybe some monitors so you can see how many bad guys and where they are as you relate info to the cops, and maybe armored walls for that extreme case where the douchebag shoots through the walls.

In short, it's a short term bunker to hold out until the cavalry arrives.

A fallout shelter is more like a little complete life support system, especially since you can figure on staying for at least two weeks following the delivery of the last bomb in your area. Two weeks being the minimum for fallout to degrade to a point where going outside isn't quickly incapacitating due to fallout exposure. At a minimum, you need shielding from the radiation, thickness depends on what you use, for example, 3 feet of earth, water, food, some method of sewage, which can be as basic as a bucket with a lid on it, light and bedding. A basement in a home several miles outside a target area might make a good start. Download Cresson H Kearny's book Nuclear War Survival Skills for some neat info on fallout shelters.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooley View Post
    I think some folks are confusing a panic room with a fallout shelter, two very different rooms for two very different sets of circumstances, and requiring two very different plans.
    That would likely be me.

Actually, I realize that they are two different things with different purposes- I just thought that it would be cool to combine the two and make it into my Fortress of Solitude, with a nice retro feel.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    I like the idea of a panic house, you know, trouble starts be it zombies, or a fallout shelter. It's a normal looking house til trouble starts then blam a steel wall goes over the windows and doors and you are safe.
    You have all the stuff you need in this house too. Food, water, all kinds of supplies. Can you imagine the cost to build this house? lol
    But, that is my imagination getting away from me,it is a cool thought!