Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gary gygax, co creator of D & D, dead at 69

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Ahhh. . .I wonder if a D&D cleric could turn Romero zombies? . . . . . .hmmmm
    funny you mention this because i almost always play a cleric. i've wondered about this myself. would a romero zombie respond to a holy symbol? i don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    ick!! that's a slow game for sure. Better luck next time man.
    no biggie really. here's to hoping the dice will be hot when needed.
    Last edited by Mike70; 05-May-2009 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Did I just imagine someone asked about fav character classes earlier (I'm looking at you, Scip!)? 'Cause I was totally going to answer that question

In regards to your off evening of play the other night, Scip...well, it happens. Sometimes when the table is being set for adventure (and you're all meeting in that tavern for the very first time ) it takes a while to get a proper serving of combat.

Though, I recall a massive melee that ensued when a few parties came together to form the gaming nucleus of my longest running AD&D campaign...and that was great. It involved someone being thrown through a shopkeepers window...for no good reason, the upset character critically fumbling his retributive Chromatic orb cast (needed a combat roll for that spell to hit!) and killing a passerby in the middle of town, some dual-wielding barbarian and assassin (I did mention this was a 2E, post-Drizzt era, didn't I?) going crazy and slaughtering town guardsmen while the smart ones in the group were breaking & entering a random multistory building to escape to the rooftops and hide whilst watching the carnage unfold below.

It was a great, crucible-group-forging moment

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Did I just imagine someone asked about fav character classes earlier (I'm looking at you, Scip!)? 'Cause I was totally going to answer that question
    yep. mine is cleric. powerful spells and being able to kick ass in melee attacks is why i have always gravitated toward it.

In regards to your off evening of play the other night, Scip...well, it happens. Sometimes when the table is being set for adventure (and you're all meeting in that tavern for the very first time ) it takes a while to get a proper serving of combat.
    ah well, i got to help out the new guys a bit. like explaining to them that the paladin in our group will kill them for stepping out of line - no questions asked; a bit of a story but i and another old timer had to defuse a dispute between our paladin and some characters of neutral alignment. we had to explain that neutral doesn't mean "don't give a fuck about anyone else."
    Last edited by Mike70; 05-May-2009 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, when I was a second edition nut, my fav would probably have to have been fighter. I min maxed the shit of some fighters in my day and had my fav character as a fighter in a nice homebrew setting. I played a few others, of course, and loved rogues and specialty priests. Another fav was a dual-classed Necromancer/Priestess to a god of undeath...that character had a ton of versatility.

For third edition, I finally got a try at a mage, but the campaign didn't last too long

I have to say, though, of all the D&D/AD&D character classes, I have to probably respect the 2nd edition mage, as one of, if not the, most difficult class to game up to fruition from 1st level. I don't know how people played them at the lower levels, talk about patience!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Well, when I was a second edition nut, my fav would probably have to have been fighter. I min maxed the shit of some fighters in my day and had my fav character as a fighter in a nice homebrew setting. I played a few others, of course, and loved rogues and specialty priests. Another fav was a dual-classed Necromancer/Priestess to a god of undeath...that character had a ton of versatility.

For third edition, I finally got a try at a mage, but the campaign didn't last too long

I have to say, though, of all the D&D/AD&D character classes, I have to probably respect the 2nd edition mage, as one of, if not the, most difficult class to game up to fruition from 1st level. I don't know how people played them at the lower levels, talk about patience!
    yeah, the mage is a bitch to play at lower levels. anyone who blows on you hard can knock you out. but once you build it up, holy fuck. the dude who is playing the mage this time around in my gaming group is an old timer, so he knows what he's getting into. if i were DMing, i wouldn't even let a first timer play a mage. like i said, i almost always play clerics because of the combination of powerful spells and kick ass melee ability.

United States
    p
    I always liked Rangers and theives myself, but my favorite and longest played character is a Barbarian Shaman (Uthgart, 2nd edit. Forgotton Realms) Gunar is just fun to roleplay, but he got a bit boring, it sucks to have to fear magic. Even at higher levels my DM would not let me grow out of that one fully, so there was a big nay/no to most magic items. Which is a shame, I love collecting magic items.

Oh and as for mages. . . .yeah. . . difficult as all fuck for the first few levels. If you can live to level 7 and beyond tho. . . . a force to be reckoned(sp?) with. The best way to go about a mage is to Elminster it, Dual class like crazy. Fighter first for the HP, and Mage last for the Power!!
    Last edited by clanglee; 05-May-2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    a bit of thread necromancy.

almost 6 months in and the campaign is still rippin'. my friend who is DMing wrote this thing from scratch and it has turned epic (in scope not level). i think that his decision to put us on a "holy quest" to prevent one of the evil gods from gaining dominion over faerun, hit the nail on the head as far as an extended campaign goes.

when my character had an encounter with a baelnorn, who put us on our present path, i was sold. i've been playing this for eons and i just turned to my friend and said, "best. D&D moment. ever."

not many folks are ballsy enough or clever enough to use a baelnorn in a campaign and pull it off.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    almost 6 months in and the campaign is still rippin'.
    Lucky bastard

It's great when a DM can deliver, eh? Good luck on keeping it running. How often did you say you guys get to play?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Lucky bastard

It's great when a DM can deliver, eh? Good luck on keeping it running. How often did you say you guys get to play?
    sundays, mostly every week. sometimes every other week depending on schedules.

United States
    Since my uncle, who got me into D&D in the first place, passed away this year, our group has slowly been getting further and further apart in our playing times. I think it's more of a schedule thing than his death, but that ain't helped. We aren't playing DnD right now anyhoo, it's Heroes, which is a really neat game.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."