Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straight to DVD in the UK?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    It's official. Saw a little snippet on Zone Horror last night saying that Survival Of The Dead is going straight to DVD in February 2010. No theatrical release on the cards, I'm afraid.
    On the one hand, I get my mits on it straight away. On the other, it's a shame as I would have definitely seen it in the cinema - show my support and all that. Plus it would be nice to see if with an audience.

Hopefully it gets a really cool DVD release, full-on double disc treatment and that like Diary got (a very good double disc package all-said).

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This zone horror didn't happen to mention the R1 release, did it?

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    This zone horror didn't happen to mention the R1 release, did it?
    Fraid not, matey.

It's out on the 22nd Feb in the UK, retails for £15.99 (although online you can get it for roughly a tenner) and, unfortunately for MZ, is a solo disc package. Even Amazon have it up for pre-order now.

Super Moderator

UK
    Fraid not, matey.

It's out on the 22nd Feb in the UK, retails for £15.99 (although online you can get it for roughly a tenner) and, unfortunately for MZ, is a solo disc package. Even Amazon have it up for pre-order now.
    Are there any actual details about the package yet though? I've seen many DVDs get pimped in the very early pre-order stages (before packing has even been posted on the sites), and then the full range of packages will get revealed. So I'm holding out hope.

It's Optimum again, and they did the 2-disc Diary release (as well as a single disc).

capncnut
    Details and features are yet to be announced but I highly doubt a straight-to-DVD release will get a two disc package.

Super Moderator

UK
    Details and features are yet to be announced but I highly doubt a straight-to-DVD release will get a two disc package.
    Straight to DVD for any old bugger - but this is GAR.

Even "Colin" has got a double disc version coming out, and that was made for £45 quid (and a lot of favours and freebies).

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    This really, really fucking sucks. You realise what this means.

Straight to DVD = Romero is over, finished

Kiss goodbye to all your hopes of GAR doing anything other than low-rent, made-to-order Dead films for the forseeable.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    This really, really fucking sucks. You realise what this means.

Straight to DVD = Romero is over, finished

Kiss goodbye to all your hopes of GAR doing anything other than low-rent, made-to-order Dead films for the forseeable.
    I think the former is a bit over-done personally ... the latter has been a danger since Diary was announced, and therefore nothing new.

GAR does need to be allowed to do something other than zombie flicks again, I mean heck, most of his movies aren't zombie flicks.

Hopefully it'll go theatrical in other countries, but it is a bit disappointing us Brits won't get to see it on the big screen. No doubt this would be based on Diary's numbers in the cinema - which were no doubt very low. Brit cinema takings are always much smaller anyway, but for a GAR film they'd be very small. Hell, even fairly big films like The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (Heath Ledger's last movie) only brought in about £2 million.

United Kingdom
    I'm fucking gutted it's not getting a cinema release here. I went to see Land and Diary with my cousin in the cinema, and was really looking forward to this too. Ah well, I'll pre order the blu ray and keep my fingers crossed it's got tons of good extras.
    Kill 'em All

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm gonna hold off on pre-ordering until I see if a double disc is announced (or if not, see what the single disc has).

I'll definitely buy it, but I just wanna know what I'm pre-ordering first.

capncnut
    No plans for a major theatrical release full stop, I'm afraid. It seems this film has shot itself in the foot as the upcoming European DVD release has essentially killed off a potential cinema viewer percentage. It may be shown in a handful of US theatres though so keep an eye out.

DVD details expected imminently along with US and Asian release dates.

Super Moderator

UK
    No plans for a major theatrical release full stop, I'm afraid. It seems this film has shot itself in the foot as the upcoming European DVD release has essentially killed off a potential cinema viewer percentage. It may be shown in a handful of US theatres though so keep an eye out.

DVD details expected imminently along with US and Asian release dates.
    *fingers crossed for proper DVD treatment*

United States
    This sucks balls! Big shweaty balls. Like with Diary it was here a day and gone the next, or so it seemed. It may have actually been a whole week but I had caught it late and never was able to see it in theatres. I swear if this is his last one there will be hell to pay.
    Oh yes. There will be blood.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

capncnut
    March 15th is the official DVD release date. Various ads popping up here and there on the internet and there's a piece over at Bloody Disgusting about it. US multi-region DVD owners who want an early peek should order as it's been said that a US release might be a fair way off.

Super Moderator

UK
    March 15th is the official DVD release date. Various ads popping up here and there on the internet and there's a piece over at Bloody Disgusting about it. US multi-region DVD owners who want an early peek should order as it's been said that a US release might be a fair way off.
    Hopefully then the R2 will be a better DVD than the R1 as well. I don't wanna order it up and get screwed on extras. It's why I own so many R1 DVDs.

March 15th eh? Little longer to wait than originally thought, but well ... at least we know we'll get to see it soon. Shame about the cinema, but at least we're getting to see it. Hopefully it'll do good business.