Thread: Archbishop urges rich to share pain

Administrator

England

Archbishop urges rich to share pain

"The Archbishop of Canterbury will use his Christmas sermon to question whether the richest people are bearing their share of the economic downturn."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12078056

I think maybe the church should share the pain. Having just seen the Bishop of Winchesters house this week, I think they've got plenty to share! Lead by example maybe! ie: Why does the Bishop of Winchester need a mansion? Why not put him in a smaller property, free up a couple of million, and give that to ease people's pain?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I think John Sentamu should be Archbishop of Canterbury, I'm not religious at all but he is a very good man & I would rather see him have the job than the current one!

England
    Good call, Sentamu seems far more down to earth and in tune with real people than some of these archbishops and other assorted clowns.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Yeah Sentamu has good values I think & has done a lot of good work, plus he did a skydive which gets a nod from me as I loved doing mine! he was tortured by Idi Amins henchmen before he came to the UK so when he talks about persecution or standing up for what you believe in, he knows what he's talking about. He refuses to wear his dog collar as well, he cut his up on live TV in protest against Robert Mugabes regime, and refuses to wear it again until he is removed from power, quite a strong gesture from an archbishop! Like I say I'm not religious but I have huge respect for the man, I keep hoping I'll meet him when I'm in York on a weekend!

Super Moderator

UK
    Ugh, yeah I saw he's been running his mouth off again ... the dude's far too political, plus the hypocrisy of 'the church' saying the rich should share the pain - ruddy religion is one of the richest games in town!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    As much as it isn't his place to say this, he's right.

I wish I could say I gave all my disposable income to charity, I only give a small amount really, but until this country stops throwing shit at me every day perhaps I, as a home owning motorist, might have more cash to flash to those less fortunate. And I'm not even rich.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 26-Dec-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: lgibl
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.