Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loss of creativity

United States
    well kor, it's good to see you back, man.

this place seems to be located on an internet fault zone at times or there's something in the water.....

United Kingdom
    I lose my creativity (such as it is) when I'm tired and overworked. Are you able to take a week off to chill? Even if you can't afford to go away somewhere on holiday, you could stay home for a week and just go to galleries and museums, read books, go to the cinema, take candlelit baths or whatever and see if it starts coming back
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

England
    I'm the same with my guitar playing, sometimes I'll play it all the time, learning new chords & tricks, feeling like I'm getting somewhere, sit strumming for hours on a night! (ooh err ) then I'll go a month without picking it up for what seems like no other reason than lack of creativity & motivation

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    well kor, it's good to see you back, man.

this place seems to be located on an internet fault zone at times or there's something in the water.....
    An Xmass miracle?

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    I don't believe that creativity dimishes with age. However, I believe if you look across the creative population you might conclude that based on the fact that they create less as they get older and their creations show less inspiration. But I think that's more a function of opportunity than creativity. As people get older opportunities to be creative get pushed aside for things like earning money, raising a family, and assuring stability into old age. In addition, success in creativity can lead to diminished freedom of creativity, thus making their creations seem forced.

Put another way, it's easy to be a starving artist when you're 20, breaking all the rules and letting pure creativity rule. That gets harder when someone is willing to pay you to do your creating their way, and you have mouths to feed.

You could make a similar claim about video games. Obviously as people get older they enjoy video games less. I mean, look at people... as they get older they play them less, right? But is that really the right conclusion to draw? Maybe they just have less time for them?
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    You could make a similar claim about video games. Obviously as people get older they enjoy video games less. I mean, look at people... as they get older they play them less, right? But is that really the right conclusion to draw? Maybe they just have less time for them?
    I think as you get older, certain types of games become unrealistic & childish with regards dialogue & plot (resident evil series springs to mind), and you dont play them as much as they genuinely start to feel like something that was aimed at teenagers. Strangely though, games like Super Mario dont fall into that childish bracket, all ages seem to love them!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I'm the same with my guitar playing, sometimes I'll play it all the time, learning new chords & tricks, feeling like I'm getting somewhere, sit strumming for hours on a night! (ooh err ) then I'll go a month without picking it up for what seems like no other reason than lack of creativity & motivation
    I can't even count the number of times this exact scenario has happened to me in my lifetime. I've had months where my playing stalls and just sits there. I feel like I've made no advancement whatsoever. Then there's those weeks where it feels like your conquering a mountain in 20% of the time it should actually take.

It's a weird push/pull when dealing with creativity. For some people, it just flows out of them like a river and never stops. Others, like me, sometimes have to really dig deep to find the inspiration at times. It's a strange thing, creativity.