Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Dawn (2012) Trailer

United States
    The original portrayed it as an invasion from the south using Cuban and Soviet troops in a surprise attack that pushes partway into the nation and then stalls as US troops mobilize and fight back. It really made a great deal of sense. I have trouble believing that the remake will even spend time trying to explain it in a way that makes sense.

I cannot imagine that the remake will capture the isolation, desolation, and desperation of the plight of the kids in the original. They spend months on the mountain. The progression from scared children into a fighting unit is portrayed extremely well. How they turned their anger over events into action just works. And even at their height they still seem vulnerable and frightened. You never forget that beneath the hardening exterior these are still children.

On a side note, I have a friend who says that the plot of Red Dawn is highly unrealistic. Because the invading forces would hit Arkansas and the rednecks would kill them all in the woods like it was field day.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    I had a really long and insightful post that I just accidentally erased.

I have to beat something now. So pissed...

Extremely short version:
    Either way, gonna see the remake and rent the original.
    Thor's in this one, and he's always kicking ass the right way.

United States
    Yeah, the main general was Cuban and became rather sick of the whole affair by the end..strangely enough, he also played the XO on the cult "classic" The Final Countdown, with Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas.

As for the original, I grew up watching it on TBS and the Joe Bob Briggs show on TNT late Saturday nights. I used to love it in an unabashed, unironic way..now I can't help but see the bits of cheese coming out of the sides of the Swayze/Sheen sammich..that's alright though, I still have nostalgia.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

United States
    The original film is a masterpiece of a Republican's wet dream. I absolutely love it - it's one of my most favorite films.

The remake? Eh. I'll see it. But, I'm not holding too much hope. There's no way it can compare to the original.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by childofgilead View Post
    Yeah, the main general was Cuban and became rather sick of the whole affair by the end..strangely enough, he also played the XO on the cult "classic" The Final Countdown, with Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas.
    The irony was that the Cuban guy said that he had always been on the side of the insurgents, but invading the US turned him into the very enemy he fought against all of those years.

-- -------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    The original portrayed it as an invasion from the south using Cuban and Soviet troops in a surprise attack that pushes partway into the nation and then stalls as US troops mobilize and fight back. It really made a great deal of sense. I have trouble believing that the remake will even spend time trying to explain it in a way that makes sense.
    The F15 pilot guy said their plan took place over many years as they also had infiltrated into key military strategic installations and disabled early warning systems that allowed the invasion to take place.

The remake looks like all the North Koreans do is set off an emp. Instead of the captain of the football team and his brother trying to keep the group alive, the remake has a super marine giving "patriotic" speeches and transforming the kids into hardened combat troops overnight. This shit is so cliched and predictable it is embarassing. If it weren't for the popularity of Hunger Games to capitalize on this movie would have gone straight to dvd.

This is what Harry Dean Stanton is going to be screaming after this abomination is released!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I have to beat something now. So pissed...
    All that hate's gonna burn you up inside.

Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post

The remake? Eh. I'll see it. But, I'm not holding too much hope. There's no way it can compare to the original.
    I feel the same way. The one good thing that may come from this is I feel the need to host a (original) Red Dawn viewing party.

Vaya con Dios...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Recall seeing Red Dawn (1984) in the theater, the crowd was cheering like it was a football game. Will be interesting to see the reaction this time around.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Recall seeing Red Dawn (1984) in the theater, the crowd was cheering like it was a football game. Will be interesting to see the reaction this time around.
    Probably nowhere near the same. Back then was the height of the cold war and the corporate news media made sure to remind people every day that we were on the verge of nuclear war with the Soviet Union. Even kids in the 80s were taught to be scared of the Russians. Remember in school the good old "duck and cover" drills? Like a plywood desktop was really going to protect you from a 10 megaton blast.

The only thing the current Red Dawn target demographic knows about North Korea is that stupid singing Kim Jong Il puppet from Team America World Police.