Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: World War Z (film)

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    The darkest day of CGI laden bullshit the world of zombie films has ever known.

When there is no more room in hell the dead will apparently pile up and cause avalanches ...

welcome to the realm of videogame shenanigans.

Al least Mr. Pitt's hair looks impressive in that trailer.
    I wouldn't go that far, the CGI in Survival is pretty fucking bad.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    DJ!
    But yeah, I missed that comment on Brad's hair. I did think it looked pretty cool.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I don't mind them sprinting, as long as it's not superhuman/supernatural sprinting. If they behave pretty much like the body would enable them too prior to death I'm OK with it. But when they then develope human+ powers (along with contacts and dino roars) that's just daft!
    Don't forget the instant orthodontic nightmares!

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Don't forget the instant orthodontic nightmares!

Ugh! I hate that.

There were a few examples in TWD, but they've opted more for 'broken' teeth at the high end of decomposition, with rotted away gums (particularly when the lips are all stretched back), and at the freshest stage they've made them look like they could do with a ruddy good brushing.

For moronic instant transformations, the award remains firmly in the hands of Day08 ... someone went from a living person, to dead, to totally rotted with fucked up teeth and eyes (not to mention ceiling-crawling abilities and raptor voice) in a matter of seconds. It was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    don't forget the instant orthodontic nightmares!

lol!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Haha, funny.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Well, this looks like a generic-as-f*ck PG disaster movie in the Day After Tomorrow/2012 mould. Replace zombies with rabid dogs, tsunamis or an alien invasion and that first trailer would look very similar. Hope I'm wrong about this movie.

Incidentally, it is quite cool seeing familiar streets from my home city standing in for Philadelpia.

EDIT: So we're "censoring" strong language again, mods? What's the point? How does replacing the letter "u" with an asterisk in any way reduce the impact or hide the identity of the word? It just makes people's posts look all precious and hypocritical. If you're going to censor, you might as well have the courage of your convictions and just ban swearing altogether, not that I agree with that idea, but at least it would present a clear and consistent principle, and not this weak-ass, passive-aggressive plucking out of letters, that's worse than pointless.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 13-Nov-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Have to say, the more I think about it, the more the tidal wave and tower idea is growing on me. They seem more and more logical the more I think about it, and something we've not seen before!

The tower (or heap) in particular seems totally viable! A mass of zombies are fighting to get up, and a couple fall over. These are instantly used as stepping stones to get higher. The ones below try clambering up the ones in their way also in an attempt to get up... and so it progresses, on and on.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post

EDIT: So we're "censoring" strong language again, mods? What's the point? How does replacing the letter "u" with an asterisk in any way reduce the impact or hide the identity of the word? It just makes people's posts look all precious and hypocritical.
    Not aware of anyone censoring other people's individual swear words (unless they are an outright attack or a slur of some sort), and I sure as hell don't think anyone here has the time on their hands to go back and individually censor single letters, Kraken...though that'd be fun to do to someone on April 1st. Maybe a filter got turned on during a recent update. I'll check and let you know.

In the future, you can always ask in the "Ask HPOTD Subforum" or send a PM if concerned, as sometimes these questions can get lost or missed, otherwise.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Have to say, the more I think about it, the more the tidal wave and tower idea is growing on me. They seem more and more logical the more I think about it, and something we've not seen before!

The tower (or heap) in particular seems totally viable! A mass of zombies are fighting to get up, and a couple fall over. These are instantly used as stepping stones to get higher. The ones below try clambering up the ones in their way also in an attempt to get up... and so it progresses, on and on.
    I agree with this, actually. But from what the trailer showed, it seemed to be in fast motion... Which, as you know, is not how zombies move. So yes, tower of zombies = good! Fast zombies = bad! Can't have it all, I suppose...

Dying

United States

The idea works, but the execution looks hack. Why would there only be ONE tower? It makes the zombies appear like they strategically planned exactly where they'd be climbing in. There should be numerous towers, instead of focusing it all on one. And that's a really simple way to make the idea work better, and a casual observation.

Most things people get wrong with zombie films aren't the IDEAS themselves, but the EXECUTION of the ideas. Fast zombies, for example, could work really well, if they didn't look so coordinated. It's hard to think these people are corpses when they run without stumbling, or faltering in their path. That's the problem with sprinters - they feel TOO HUMAN. Now if you had zombies scrambling to get at people, tripping over every object but jumping right back up? A fast, almost drunken stumble? THAT would work. But unfortunately, the people using fast zombies are just dumbing down the product, and speeding up the action, which is why the execution is lacking - because the IDEA is just a CRUTCH to keep the dumb people invested in the film. If they were really trying to push the genre forward, they'd make running feel more believable, and not just a plot device to keep characters on their toes.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOfTheShred View Post
    The idea works, but the execution looks hack. Why would there only be ONE tower? It makes the zombies appear like they strategically planned exactly where they'd be climbing in. There should be numerous towers, instead of focusing it all on one. And that's a really simple way to make the idea work better, and a casual observation.
    Maybe they saw, or can see, people at one specific place?

Now, once a mound has formed, being a mindless zombie, knowing you want to get near the top of that wall, what are you going to do? Go to the top of that hill/mound, which will get you a long way towards it, or bugger off elsewhere?

ie: If there's a tall mound, that's the mound they'll all join, as it's the tallest!
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Looks like trash. I think I would be fine if they just wanted running zombies in the movie instead of the walking kind. But the book focuses more on the war in every sense, how it starts and the fall out. The mass zombie scenes look so bad it is painful. I mean this looks like it could make the Day of the Dead remake look tolerable with how zombies movie and the Dawn remake look like a memory of heaven (Although I enjoyed that one well enough).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bd2999 View Post
    this looks like it could make the Day of the Dead remake look tolerable
    Over reaction don't you think?
    -Carl Sagan