Thread: Capturing video from VHS

Undisclosed

Capturing video from VHS

Does anyone here know what I would need to somehow connect my VCR to my PC, to digitally capture the video, to in turn transfer old VHS tapes that I have to DVD? I have some old movies that aren't available on DVD that I would like to transfer so I can stop risking ruining these tapes. I know I could just dub them onto blank VHS tapes but they'll just wear out eventually anyways, besides the fact that it's just alot nicer to pop in a DVD. Any help out there? I thought maybe there would be a way to just hook my VCR up to my DV camera & do it that way but there doesn't seem to be an input on my camera.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    On my camera I just plugged the A/V cord, going from the camera, into the outputs of the VCR and, I believe (but not sure), set the camera to VCR also and it worked that way. Don't think this works on all camera's, though.

There are also A/V converters for your computer that cost about $100. I think they just plug right into your firewire port. Can't find one online right now, though. I'm sure someone here can.

Undisclosed
    Thanks man, I did spot some things on Ebay for around $20 but I'm gonna try your idea before I blow the cash. Do you know off hand what kind of camera you have? I was thinking that if my camera is the same brand as yours it should work. Thanks again.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've got a Sony DCR-TRV 340 and a Panasonic PV-DV52D. Not sure which one I used to capture the VHS.

United States
    ummm tried calling customer support for ye laptop/desktop?
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

United States
    Another option would be to just take the VHS to Walgreens or CVS and have them transer it to a disc for you. I am pretty sure I have seen ads for this service at one of these palces, if not both, and seems like it was around $30.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There is a program made by Pinnacle that comes with a capture box (Look up the term Dazzle Video capture) this thing is awesome because it cannot read Macrovision.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*