Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: George Romero who??? Darabont the new KING of zombies

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Since this thread is on the subject of the show and Darabont, I thought I would point out something that I love about TWD that differs from his last film, The Mist - The camera work. I like The Mist. I think it's a great movie and the camera work works for that particular film, but I was worried Darabont would bring the same to TWD. Then of course to my surprise most of TWD feels like a movie. Some of those shots seem insane for a TV production. They must have really given Darabont and his DP extra time to set up that stuff.

Although I'm not sure the other episodes will be the same. Looking at the few clips available for the next episode, it looks like it may be much more of that hand held crap. Hope not...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Darabont had a very limited schedule and budget for The Mist so he used the camera crew from the TV show The Shield to get it done quick and dirty... considering that i think The Mist turned out great, but when you only have $17 million and 29 days to shoot a movie... you have to do the best you can with what you got and I think it worked although some of the CG was terrible but again i attribute that to budget, but then again there are 100 million dollar films with terrible Cg as well.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I saw that stuff on the special features. Two cameras at once and nobody ever knew where they would go. "You would be having a close up and have no idea!"

That was my point though....the need to film quickly kinda helped The Mist. I'm sure they could've made it work in TWD, but i'm so glad they went with more traditional and "big" camera work.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah, I saw that stuff on the special features. Two cameras at once and nobody ever knew where they would go. "You would be having a close up and have no idea!"

That was my point though....the need to film quickly kinda helped The Mist. I'm sure they could've made it work in TWD, but i'm so glad they went with more traditional and "big" camera work.
    Oh hell yeah... the opening alobe was 50ft big screen theater worthy alone. Especially if it had been filmed in 2.35:1.

That is what i enjoy about TWD it doesn't have the typical TV show feel it feels more like a movie and that is what i dig about it besides the great story told in the 1st episode.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Regarding the little girl. How gutsy was it to show that? I mean, we've debated the depiction of children in a zombie outbreak dozens of times, and in every case there's a huge split between whether that's appropriate to depict or not. We all know children would be part of the equation. But to show a child being headshot? The closest we've come is Dawn '78 where we knew Peter shot the kids (but didn't see it) and Dawn '04 with the ridiculous zombie baby.

I was surprised that TWD put that on screen, and in the opening minutes. I think it did good to set the tone of the show. It essentially said, "Yeah, that's right. We're going there, and we're gonna show it." It left me with that, 'strap in, it's gonna be a wild ride' feelling.

I thought the episode was very well shot. It did feel like a movie. And they avoided some super-irritating techniques... like showing a headshot 5 different times from 5 different angles like movies do with car crashes. They'd show it once. From a good angle. Very well done.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My favorite irritating and over used technique left out of TWD? None of that cheap "cat jumps from a dark corner and the music swells" shit...
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Nov-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: que?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Thanks Darth!! I was cheering for your similar post a few pages back.

@Deej - Even if you're only referring to the Darabont directed episode I still disagree. I'm not sure how you can compare them at all, much less conclude one upstaged a series of movies.

Personally, I think Darabont did a great job of doing something completely different than what GAR has done. I think that before he can upstage GAR he has to undertake a much bigger challenge. I also think that TWD has proven that Darabont deserves a shot at that challenge.

@Legion - I agree with you about the horse. I was actually a bit miffed he chose the horse for just that reason. I don't know much about horses, but it seems an unreliable, unpredictable mode of transport. I wouldn't say I was actively going "wtf" over it, but I was none too happy.

On a side note, can we really justify him running out of gas? I don't see how that happens with the dozens of cars he passed ... literally everywhere. Especially since we established right off that he was gas-hunting. It seemed a bit like contriving plot to me, and that gets into GAR territory!! *shudder*

I suppose one could argue that gas was depleted as society crumbled, but the evidence suggests that people fled and abandoned areas, or holed up in areas, which doesn't jive with resources being depleted uniformly. In a WWBMD analysis I see finding a source of gas and filling up all the 5-gallon containers you can find as job #1. And not traveling on any less than half a tank away from a source without finding a new source.

What do you feed a horse anyway? Is that easier to find than gas?

@Deckard - I agree with all your observations, and my main point on the crowd of zombies is just as you said, I don't see there being that amount around all of a sudden. That represents a serious lack of awareness to his surroundings in a situation where he would be looking over his shoulder constantly. Again, it has the subtle smell of plot contrivance, and that sort of thing tends to get worse, not better.

@Everone... Don't let my balanced opinion fool you... I enjoyed the show immensely and am looking forward to the rest. The Good list definitely outweighs the Bad list. I'm totally stoked to see where it goes, but at the same time I'm keeping my expectations on the leash just in case.
    YW.

And I feel that way too. I like the show alot, although it can't touch gar's Original trilogy IMO.

Also, imo, pick apart the minutia of things like this is what we do here. If we can do it to the Godfather of the genre we can do it to this show. No free passes. If it seems contrieved or if it doesn't make sense it should be pointed out.

And about the little girl. Very well done imo. Now as deej said it's a rip-off from dawn 04' but still well done. My kids even noticed it.

But that's not what bothers me. Yes, I am aware of the herds but it seems very strange that in several places there would on be be like one zombie for what amounts to a relatively vast area.

The little girl, nothing else around.

The police station, abandoned, one police zed, again nothing else around.

When he first meets the black guy and his son, one solitary zombie whose brains he splatters all over the sidewalk.

The half zombie woman, well, you get the point.

It's always seemed to me that zombies travel in packs. They're like roaches. When is there ever just one roach? Were there's one there's more.

Now if it happened once or twice that's fine, but there seem to be entire stretches of land (miles maybe?) where you wouldn't even know there's a plauge going on. Safe zones so to speak. It doesn't seem as if that should be the case.

Also, the scene where he gets mobbed in the city elicits the mental image of miguel running back toward the chopper for some reason. That's probably why he high tailed it out out of there. Smart dude. Gives me a whole new perspective on that.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    well, the reason there weren't many zombies around rick's house, at the police station, and at the park is because he supposedly lives in a small town, so there wouldn't be quite so many around.

the same argument could be pitted against diary, where you have like 20 zombies at some amish dudes farm and a shitload at that rich kid's house the next day, but none in the dorms, none in the town that the "people with sun-tans" have taken over, etc.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well it was said in Dawn by Doc Roush, they seem to congregate in heavily populated areas.... why, more food.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

England
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Rick's windshield and mirror in the police cruiser are damaged, and it doesn't look like damage from the shoot out weeks before, so I am curious as to what happened there, plus a few other minor things.

The opening scene is extended. After Rick shoots the little girl it wakes up all the zombies in the cars and chaos ensues
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Well it was said in Dawn by Doc Roush, they seem to congregate in heavily populated areas.... why, more food.
    Yes he did say that but look at two similar scenes.

1st we have the "I'm a man scene" from dawn. Where there is a ruckus yes, which would logically attract more ghouls toward them. but even so we see rural areas with a steady zed pupulation along with them encroaching on the living.

Now we have his wife and kid in that camp living as if it's a safe zone in a wide open area. No fortification. No perimiter that we can see. Just a band of people and some tents.

Now the major difference is they weren't shooting guns, drinking beer and acting a fool. I understand that.

Just seems weird for a world overun with zombies. Too convienient you know? Like when we want to have a bleeding heart scene in a tent, no zeds for miles. When we want to pick up the pace then all of a sudden there's no place to run.

Last edited by darth los; 03-Nov-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typo
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I'm with darth on this one. As I contended originally, the relative sparsity of zombies is potentially misleading. We all as zombie apocalypse fans figure that there are tons and tons of zombies out there somewhere. But is that what conclusion any normal person would draw? The small town Grimes lived in may have been rural, but that was not a tiny hospital he came out of. As he roamed around I thought that 99% of the people were unaccounted for. Did the bulk of the zombies trail along after the survivors that fled to Atlanta? Were the bulk of the people from town even dead? We really don't know.

We also have to work in the knowledge that the zombies only come out at night unless roused. The small town had plenty of shamblers about after dark as we saw from looking out the windows at night. And they showed no indication of herding without something to attract them.

But where were they during the day? They weren't staying in the hospital. Or in Grimes house. Or in the police station. Or anywhere else he went. They didn't come out when he roared by in the police cruiser or when he shot his gun in the park. I hope we get a better glimpse into the ratio of zombies to survivors, and more on how/where the zombies congregate.

I'm not saying it's unexplainable. It's just odd. As Darth says it's awfully convenient where the zeds are and where they aren't.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Just been bitten

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    How many days was that guy alone in a coma? My main question is why weren't his backside choked with poo? Or would there be a shitbag already attached to him? I didn't see him pull one off. I kept picturing a Hot Tub Time Machine gag where he's pulling out his catheter...
    He can't have been comatose for more than a few weeks. He didn't appear to have any problems with muscle atrophy. He wouldn't be pooping much after a few weeks being fed formula through a gastric tube, but there still would've been "discharge" and would've had either a diaper or a rectal catheter (in additon to the catheter for urination). Nobody's willing to show that level of detail on the big or small screen yet. Somebody must have been caring for him up until a few days ago. More than 3 days without water or someone changing his IV and wouldn't have woken up at all.

Also he was wearing shorts; everytime I've been in hospital I've had to bring my own to have something on under the gown, yet this hospital put's them on a coma patient automatically? Jim being naked was the one thing that didn't bother my mother (a nurse) about the openining scene in 28 Days Later (which she hated). Apparently if the facility (& it's laundry) was completely overwhelmed and understaffed they'd just keep him covered with sheets and a blanket.
    Last edited by hadrian0117; 04-Nov-2010 at 03:27 AM. Reason: shorts
    God is Santa Claus for adults

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The black dude also said that his bandages and wound were pretty rank. How regulary does that have to be changed?

Might give a further clue as to how long he was there/alone.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    The black dude also said that his bandages and wound were pretty rank. How regulary does that have to be changed?

Might give a further clue as to how long he was there/alone.

A serious gunshot wound would have to be cleaned/disinfected on a daily basis. (possibly a couple times per day) His lack of water and his unchanged bandages would make me think he was only alone and unlooked after for a couple days, tops.