View Poll Results: What did you think of Survival of the Dead?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it.

19 13.01%
  • Liked It.

53 36.30%
  • Meh, neither here nor there.

25 17.12%
  • Disappointed.

29 19.86%
  • Hated it.

20 13.70%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you who **have seen** Survival of the Dead - - - opinion poll!

United States
    I agree on the SFX but throw in the horrible cinematopgrahy and you have a real problem...

And who the hell would bite off a zombie finger... i mean really...

WTF!?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsyfn View Post
    I agree on the SFX but throw in the horrible cinematopgrahy and you have a real problem...

And who the hell would bite off a zombie finger... i mean really...

WTF!?
    I know there's never been a concrete explanation as to the cause of the plaugue but if that doesn't scream virus then i don't know what to to say...

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Same thing with Land, most of HPOTD gave it the thumbs up, so it always confuses me when some people say that "most" people on HPOTD hated it.
    It really depends on your context.

In the Land Yay/Meh/Boo vs. Diary Yay/Meh/Boo poll Land scored:
    Land Yay - 37
    Land Meh - 34
    Land Boo - 8

That's 37 Yay vs. 42 Meh or worse, or a 47% approval rating.

The "sort this out once and for all" poll rates Land at:
    Like - 54
    Not great, not bad - 27
    Dislike - 10

That's pretty Land favorable at 54 Like vs. 37 Meh or worse, for a 59% approval rating.

Another poll asks "is land a good movie as a horror movie on its own":
    Yes - 22
    No - 12

That's pretty Land favorable at 65% approval.

Where it gets interesting is ratings for Land in the context of the other Dead movies.

The "how Land rates vs. the original trilogy" poll:
    Land is as good as the original trilogy. - 8
    I liked Land a lot, but it is not in the same class as the original trilogy. - 17
    I enjoy Land as a movie in general, but not near as much as the original trilogy. - 7
    Land has some good moments, but overall not that great. - 8
    Land is no good at all. - 3

That's 8 rating Land as good as the original trilogy and 35 rating it lesser, which comes to a dismal 17% favorable rating.

So if the statement is that most people hated it alongside the other GAR Dead movies, the numbers bear that out.

Ironically, in a pure Like/Dislike rating Land scores 32 for Like and 11 for Dislike in the very same poll, for a 74% approval rating. Which puts an exclamation point on the statement that whether you rate Land in the context of the Dead series or in the context of horror in general is fundamental to the results.

Diary polled at a 66% approval rating (loved + liked), and Survival is running 65% right now. I would suspect that both movies would score similarly to Land as far as worthy entries in the original trilogy, but I didn't see any polls to test that.

Oh, and I still firmly believe that every good GAR fan should see Survival and form your own opinion, as Bassman says. It isn't cut and dried.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    It like watching "Who Framed Roger Rabbit!" You know none of it is real and actors are acting by themselves with things added in later.
    That is probably the most intelligent and greatest analogy I’ve read about Survival. No, I’m not being sarcastic but the Roger Rabbit bit made me chuckle.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Being as I just saw it I voted disapointed.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    Rubbish poll? Why? Five options not enough?
    I have no problem with the poll or the options given. You'll have to read the post two previous to mine to see why it's been considered "rubbish."

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    started out got

Got kind of bland once they got to the island

United States
    For a film that's bi*ched at alot I'm surprised too see more liked it, then hated it. :-o

I have yet to see it myself though.
    Last edited by Doc; 09-Sep-2010 at 03:16 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    For a film that's bi*ched at alot I'm surprised too see more liked it, then hated it. :-o

I have yet to see it myself though.
    Well the haters always have something to shout about, whereas the likers and lovers are contented and so don't usually feel the need to talk as much about it, if that makes sense.

But aye, more liked and loved it than hated it or were disappointed by it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You can enjoy a film to some extent and still have things to gripe about. And if you don't have anything to gripe about in Survival......you're just lying to yourself.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Sep-2010 at 12:48 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You can enjoy a film to some extent and still have things to gripe about. And if you don't have anything to gripe about in Survival......you're just lying to yourself.
    Ha! That's a good way of putting it.

It would be interesting to track the votes from Land through Diary to Survival. I agree with MZ that the haters are louder than the lovers, but I also think we need to remember that this isn't "man on the street" pollling. The people who have stuck with the boards between Land and Survival should be the more dedicated fans I would think. However, that's not to say that being a dedicated GAR fan translates into favorable votes.

Land hit over 90 votes and Survival has just passed 70. Why? It could be that Survival's poor distribution means people haven't seen it yet. We should know after it hits Netflix. If that's the case then how many people who haven't seen it yet are going to vote positively? These are the people who didn't think enough of it to find a way to see it before now. Or did we just lose people between Land and Survival? If so, were those likely to be the lovers or haters?

It'd be interesting to see polling done on other horror sites, or other movie sites.

United States
    Finally saw Survival last night.

I liked it.

It was a fun monster flick.

Thematically, tho', it was all over the place.

I had a full book report ready, but the site ate it...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Super Moderator

UK
    Bassman - sure, I do have niggles with Survival, just like I do with Diary and Land ... however, all said and done, I dig it. Diary is still my least favourite from the recent three ... I've had a very tumultuous relationship with that movie with my opinion varying wildly up and down about it. I don't hate it, but it's still my least favourite of the new three.

Land has gone down a couple of notches in my estimation after niggles and "hmmm, I would have done/written that differently" elements came into play, but I remain a Land Liker.

Survival was a ruddy good time from the-off for me, and it was exactly the same way the second time around ... sure there are things I'd have done differently, or things that aren't shit-hot (the CGI is at times dreadfully obvious, and some moments are too slapstick), but I really enjoyed it the first and second time I viewed it (I'll soon get to the double disc R1 version, but this past month has been an expensive one, so I'll get it sometime later down the line ... especially as I've already got it on R2 vanilla).

United States
    Land has gone down a couple of notches in my estimation after niggles and "hmmm, I would have done/written that differently" elements came into play, but I remain a Land Liker.
    I've come up a few notches on Land. I can pop it in and enjoy the good parts now and then.
    *imagines a time when Trin and MZ like Land the same amount*

United States
    Good film. I wasn't expecting a Night, Dawn, or Day and I was dreading a Land or Diary. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised that Survival was quite watchable and enjoyable. A couple of things that I really appreciated was GAR's toning down of profane language and silly character nicknames (NOT that profane language doesn't have a place ... but every other word (as seemed common in Land and Diary?) Sheesh).

The "western" theme did not bother me one bit as I am a fan of both westerns and zombies.

Were there things I did not like? Sure. The silly CGI "offings" (as others have previously mentioned) were ... silly ... they distracted from the film, not added to it. Fortunately, there were very few of these.

I think that GAR has finally "got it pegged" as to what we fans really want from his films (Night, Dawn, Day) and is gravitating back in that direction. I hope he gets to make one more dead film. Guaranteed classic.

-stray-