Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Most overated horror movies...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    It's very similar to the Mall in Dawn '78. The Mall was a character in the movie. The way the place affected the plot and characters made it something you cared about. I think the ship in Titanic was the same. To that end you have to spend some time on it, give it depth, show how it relates to the story. Just like Dawn '04 didn't do with the mall.
    Agreed, I just wish they story JC wrapped around the ship wasn't such a mush-fest. I guess that's what brings in the people (well, certain people), but I would've been just as happy to have the story told from the POV of one of the other survivors, or have it narrated by the ships' captain or one of the crew, know what I mean? I think that would've made it relate more to the ship itself than the love story. That shit just gets in the way. I would be a lot more engaged if it was a crew member reflecting on WTF happened and how things went down from his pov.

Bassman, that's sort of what I was trying to get at. There could've been a better story wrapped around the story of the ship sinking. Something with more substance and/or something more engaging to myself than the love-fest between leo and kate. That does nothing for me but make me want to turn it off.

If I wanted mushy love stories, I'd go watch the Lifetime channel on cable. I don't want to see a 200 million dollar love story, I want to see 200 million dollars worth of "this is what happened to the Titanic"

Cameron even did that special on the Titanic, didn't he? Some documentary or something? Ghosts in the Abyss - isn't that what it was called? Shit man, put the $200 million into THAT, not into leo & kate. He could've done the leo & kate love story on Dj's Deadlands budgets.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "STOP BLOWING HOLES IN MY SHIP!"
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Bassman, that's sort of what I was trying to get at. There could've been a better story wrapped around the story of the ship sinking. Something with more substance and/or something more engaging to myself than the love-fest between leo and kate. That does nothing for me but make me want to turn it off.
    There's no doubt the flick was heavy on the estrogen.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Agreed, I just wish they story JC wrapped around the ship wasn't such a mush-fest. I guess that's what brings in the people (well, certain people), but I would've been just as happy to have the story told from the POV of one of the other survivors, or have it narrated by the ships' captain or one of the crew, know what I mean? I think that would've made it relate more to the ship itself than the love story. That shit just gets in the way. I would be a lot more engaged if it was a crew member reflecting on WTF happened and how things went down from his pov.

If I wanted mushy love stories, I'd go watch the Lifetime channel on cable. I don't want to see a 200 million dollar love story, I want to see 200 million dollars worth of "this is what happened to the Titanic"

Cameron even did that special on the Titanic, didn't he? Some documentary or something? Ghosts in the Abyss - isn't that what it was called? Shit man, put the $200 million into THAT, not into leo & kate. He could've done the leo & kate love story on Dj's Deadlands budgets.
    Lou,

You should see "A Night To Remember" which is a film made about the Titanic back in the 50's which actually has amazing special effects (even for 50's standards) and just an all around incredible film. It's far superior in every way except for special effects to Cameron's "Titanic". It really is a stunning film.

"A Night To Remember" is fantastic about attempting to capture the perspective/thoughts of various different people on the ship and how they dealt with it and lived (or didn't) through the circumstances. It's a highly powerful film well worth watching if you have the opportunity.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    "A Night To Remember" is fantastic about attempting to capture the perspective/thoughts of various different people on the ship and how they dealt with it and lived (or didn't) through the circumstances. It's a highly powerful film well worth watching if you have the opportunity.

j.p.
    Now that's what I think would be more interesting. Thanks for the tip.. I will check that out in the near future.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    WTF are we talking about TITANIC in a horror movie topic?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    WTF are we talking about TITANIC in a horror movie topic?
    Because the "Titanic" love story is horrific in and of itself, so therefore I think it qualifies.

***edited to add - my friend here at work pointed out there are more dead bodies in Titanic than there are in most horror films. Just because they don't get up and eat brains doesn't mean it's not horror.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Because the "Titanic" love story is horrific in and of itself, so therefore I think it qualifies.

***edited to add - my friend here at work pointed out there are more dead bodies in Titanic than there are in most horror films. Just because they don't get up and eat brains doesn't mean it's not horror.
    The fact that i can't stand the ending where he basically kills himself so she can get the floating wood (is there a pun in there somewhere? If there is I'll bet lou can find it. ) is no big secret.

What's horrific in itself is that every man here has basically had to co sign that shit when asked by their significnt other whether or not they would sacrifice themselves in the same manner.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I can see what you're saying. If you want to put the mother/daughter thing aside you can, but I think it's right up in your face. All of the decisions made from the time she meets Newt are as a mother protecting her "daughter". We would have never seen the queen if Ripley said "fuck it...kids dead" and left with Bishop and Hicks.

Not to mention if you watch the extended cut, the mother theme plays even more heavily. The scene about her real daughter's death and all.

If you ask me....Aliens is very much a love story about children and doing what you have to in order to protect them.

And T2 is a love story between the boy and a father figure. Seriously.
    And I can see what you are saying, but I see the "love" portion of the story as a subplot to move things along rather than the actualy driving force of the entire movie. Just because there is a love story in the movie, does not mean the movie is a love story itself. Hell there were some funny parts in Aliens too. . . .is it a romantic comedy?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    The fact that i can't stand the ending where he basically kills himself so she can get the floating wood (is there a pun in there somewhere? If there is I'll bet lou can find it. ) is no big secret.

What's horrific in itself is that every man here has basically had to co sign that shit when asked by their significnt other whether or not they would sacrifice themselves in the same manner.

Speak for yourself mutherfucker.

I told my ex-wife if that happens to us... Good Luck bitch.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

FINALLY ! TRUTH !

Just keep it real. That's all I'm saying.

That would be a normal human reaction.

Forfeiting your life for some piece of ass you just met is far from normal. That guy should have a 730 exam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    FINALLY ! TRUTH !

Let's be honest here... I think most guys would give their life for a child before some piece of snatch they just met. I know if it was between saving my ass and the life of a child I would give my life for the child, but for a piece of pussy i just met on The Love Boat... no fucking way, I can always find more pussy.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States

I'm shocked she is your EX-wife you sensitive man!

United States
    I know if it was between saving my ass and the life of a child I would give my life for the child, but for a piece of pussy i just met on The Love Boat... no fucking way, I can always find more pussy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I'm shocked she is your EX-wife you sensitive man!
    Really? No one else is.

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!