Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises (film)

Ireland
    Funny, I just can't picture Gary Oldman sitting down of an evening and watching 'Fast and Furious'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    13 minute 'featurette...

A bit spoilery, ...
    Last edited by krisvds; 08-Jul-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I would love to have Nolan commentary tracks. His thoughts on his own films would be amazing.

As I think Oldman said in the featurette, Nolan is a master at both spectacle and the story that comes along with it.

Undisclosed
    I love these films, but Nolan a 'master at spectacle'? I always found the fast and kinetic action scenes in his films to be hard to follow.
    This guy explains it in more detail than i can :

Dark Knight, cutting problems

It's something I found was already a problem in Batman Begins and it's been there up to Inception.
    Last edited by krisvds; 08-Jul-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: ?

Super Moderator

UK
    kris - is that the video of a guy whinging about the chase sequence with the armoured truck and the underground road etc?

I saw that a while back when it first sparked online, and while yes, there are legitimate mistakes (directions get changed), the guy who posted the video also makes mistakes of his own in his complaints ... some of his whinging is just unfounded (e.g. there is no problem regarding where Harvey Dent is sitting in the van, he doesn't change sides of the van at all) ... but also, I followed that entire sequence just fine. I was never once confused ... yes, the axis is sometimes crossed, and is so not always "100% correct" in terms of formal film language, but at the same time the quick pacing easily glosses over these small, frankly forgiveable mistakes, with ease - I understood the sequence with no problems, personally.

I would say Nolan is a masterful filmmaker, I really would. For example, in Inception, the rotating gravity fight in the hotel in dream #2 (as the van barrel-rolls down an embankment in dream #1) was a real breath-taker in my opinion.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I too had trouble following the action in the car chase when I saw it in the cinema. In fact, very much so. But apart from that, I've never had any problems with any of Nolan's fights. Inception, as noted above, being the pinnacle of Nolanesque action.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What is being called the "Journey" trailer. Basically it covers the entire trilogy. I got a little choked up with this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCjhLVTqctQ

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    kris - is that the video of a guy whinging about the chase sequence with the armoured truck and the underground road etc?

I saw that a while back when it first sparked online, and while yes, there are legitimate mistakes (directions get changed), the guy who posted the video also makes mistakes of his own in his complaints ... some of his whinging is just unfounded (e.g. there is no problem regarding where Harvey Dent is sitting in the van, he doesn't change sides of the van at all) ... but also, I followed that entire sequence just fine. I was never once confused ... yes, the axis is sometimes crossed, and is so not always "100% correct" in terms of formal film language, but at the same time the quick pacing easily glosses over these small, frankly forgiveable mistakes, with ease - I understood the sequence with no problems, personally.

I would say Nolan is a masterful filmmaker, I really would. For example, in Inception, the rotating gravity fight in the hotel in dream #2 (as the van barrel-rolls down an embankment in dream #1) was a real breath-taker in my opinion.
    Oh, sure, Nolan is a masterful filmmaker, no mistake. And yes that guy in the video sure is exagerating when he's talking about Dent's position in the back of the van. But on the whole he does point out a few mistakes that in editing could have been avoided. I had the same problems in The Dark Knight in the scene, near the end of the film, where Batman attacks the swat team and uses his cellular phone/radar 'trick' ... a very confusing scene for me. Same with the fisticuffs scene in the Eastern prisoner camp at the beginning of the first Nolan Batman film; it's very hard (with the camera up really close and the frantic cutting back and forth) to make out who is where doing what. Also the climactic action scene storming the enemy structure in the snow at the end of inception is quite confusing. At least to me ...

Compare this kind of editing with for instance the way the late Sally Menke cut Tarantino's frantic action scenes in Kill Bill. The big showdown that ends the first film is never confusing despite the bride fighting dozens of bad guys in the night club. You don't even notice how complicated that scene really is.

Don't get me wrong though. I love the Nolan action films, all of them. But more for the general design, atmosphere, world building and actor's performances than the actual fight scenes. Very much looking forward to Dark Knight Rises. But Nolan a master of action scenes? I just don't see it.
    Last edited by krisvds; 11-Jul-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There's a difference between spectacle and action, imo. Although I don't really have an issue with his action with the exception of a couple fight scenes in BB.
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Jul-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: .

United States

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    PeeWee Herman is in The Dark Knight Rises???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdb2w1Yu97E

United States
    found batman begins and the dark knight on blu ray for 10 bones each, watching them this week, and we've got advance tickets for friday night. very, very excited about this film, hoping it wraps us this series of films in a unforgettable fashion.

Undisclosed
    No surprises here:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=137000

"...As ever, Nolan’s Batman is at its best in the more intimate moments"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    With spectacle in abundance and sexiness in (supporting) parts, this is superhero filmmaking on an unprecedented scale. Rises may lack the surprise of Begins or the anarchy of Knight, but it makes up for that in pure emotion. A fitting epitaph for the hero Gotham deserves.
    Noice.

As Kris pointed out with his link, the review embargo has been lifted. Be careful what reviews you guys read. I accidentally stumbled into a spoiler that I wish I hadn't.

Undisclosed
    Damn. I'm avoiding all articles on the film from now on. The Empire one is safe though.
    Don't want this film spoiled. In the continuing onslaught of costumed superhero-films, this is the only one I really want to see.