Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto V (video game)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Rockstar had better up their game though, because the PC release of GTA IV was bloody pitiful. No way I'm touching this game on a PC.
    So I've heard, but it got patched to work properly eventually, right? Even still, it was surprising to hear at the time - I remember the PC port of San Andreas being perfectly fine and dandy (I played GTA III, Vice City, and SA all on PC).

Neil - did you play Max Payne 3 on PC? How did that port feel and play, any problems? I'd imagine Rockstar learned a lesson from GTA IV's dodgy launch on PC ... although it's weird, because I've read a few conflicting reports on it with some people saying it played fine for them from day one. Strange.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas Day to arrive ... the year's gone by so insanely fast, until yesterday ... and now time's stretching and slowing.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    A taste of Blaine County, where you can make gravity your bitch.

3 days ... 3 days ... 3 days...
    There is just no way a game can look this good!?

And I'm worried - The gameplay videos from Rome 2 from a year ago showed amazing stuff... and then on release it just wasn't in there; The graphics are worse, and features shown (crumbling walls etc) just don't exist. GTA 5 just looks toooo good to be true!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    GTA 5 just looks toooo good to be true!
    Ha ha - it's all been a big ruse by Rockstar - it's secretly gone back to it's top-down roots, all these videos are just cut-scenes!

Administrator

England
    ^^ Can you image MZ if that were the case?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Was that Danny McBride doing the voiceover for that commercial?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Was that Danny McBride doing the voiceover for that commercial?
    I think it was, yes ... certainly captures the sardonic tone of Rockstar.

Neil - it wouldn't do Rockstar any good whatsoever to tell a big porky regarding their biggest and most hotly anticipated release. They trade on their reliability with fans, and always show trailers that are made with in-game footage - GTA IV, RDR, LA Noire, Max Payne 3 - all looked as good in-game as they did in the trailers and screenshots (although, yes, they do add some motion blur/depth of field effects to some of the screenshots ... probably to give them a sense of motion/action).

Probably when we finally get our own hands on it and you explore the world in your own way, you'd probably notice the odd iffy texture here and there close-up, as is usually the case with games in general (e.g. standing right up-close to a poster pasted to a wall, or a plaque mounted on a building) - but I remember thinking "wow, how can Max Payne 3 look that great?!", and well, it did look that great.

Obviously this game is building on all the technical advancements that have come before in previous Rockstar titles, as well as its own developments specific to its own needs, and a key difference with GTA V is the requirement to install 8gb worth of data onto a hard drive or flash drive (hence why I had to buy a flash drive for my 360), rather than being able to exclusively run off-disc like the aforementioned titles (although MP3 was a 2-discer on 360, and LA Noire was a 3-discer). That crucial install will be there to help with the loading of assets in-game, and that six month delay was clearly to improve the experience ... if it was Ubisoft they'd just chuck it out broken and fix it in a patch (even though not everyone has their console online - which was why I never got Assassin's Creed 3, which was broken out of the box and required a 1gb day one patch to work).

Point being, with past titles we've gone "wow, how can this look so good?", and it's always been so. I'm a believer, Neil.

Oh, and my copy has been dispatched! Lets hope Royal Mail don't lose it, because they've lost several parcels of mine in the past 12 months!

Ireland
    So I've heard, but it got patched to work properly eventually, right? Even still, it was surprising to hear at the time - I remember the PC port of San Andreas being perfectly fine and dandy (I played GTA III, Vice City, and SA all on PC).
    Me too and the PC is always my first choice of platform. But GTA IV was probably the worst port of any game that I'd ever seen. As you say, it was surprising after SA. Rockstar had some real cheek putting that crap out.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    TOMORROW.

That is all.

Administrator

England
    ^^ You need to read the news mate! Been delayed two weeks!
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    According to kickinthespuds.co.uk they're having trouble the mandatory Kinect control scheme...

Super Moderator

UK

Nice try. My copy was dispatched Saturday night.

Administrator

England

Nice try. My copy was dispatched Saturday night.
    There's a postal strike on for three weeks!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Reading a couple of teeny weeny responses to it on ActionTrip - the framerate etc is good and solid apparently, and the graphics are good. There is, possibly, slightly less damage that can happen to vehicles - in that you can't dent them quite as much as you could in GTA IV - although I'm not sure if that's just a rumour or really anything solid. Not sure why that'd be ... maybe a very small sacrifice to get some other stuff in there. They'll still get bashed up of course.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a postal strike on for three weeks!
    Give it up, Neil, I had post delivered this morning.

Cheeky fecker.

Undisclosed
    Hey MZ, I am playing GTA 5 now. I received it early. You have to love mom & pop stores.
    Last edited by slickwilly13; 16-Sep-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: error

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan