Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto V (video game)

UK
    I'm calling it now, 6/10.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    There's a postal strike on for three weeks!
    Jesus, don't be doing that to the poor fella. You'll give him a heart attack.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    I'm calling it now, 6/10.

10/10 - Masterpiece - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/1...-auto-v-review

5/5 - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technol...parody-2277607

5/5 - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/r...-no-other.html

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmmm! MZ is quiet... Wonder why!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    Hey MZ, I am playing GTA 5 now. I received it early. You have to love mom & pop stores.
    Really? Lucky bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Jesus, don't be doing that to the poor fella. You'll give him a heart attack.

Oh, I'm not falling for any of Neil's silly bugger antics.

Hmmmm! MZ is quiet... Wonder why!
    I was busy writing this afternoon, so I was away from the rabbit hole that is the interwebtubes.

IGN Video Review:

Machinima Video Review:

By the sounds of it then, it's a 30 hour playthrough for the story - now, to be fair, the reviewers are probably crunching their time a bit more, but I think Rockstar have also probably taken out some unnecessary filler missions. GTA IV did have a number of such missions - so better to focus on just the good stuff - wise move. Each play-through of mine on GTA IV was 50 hours a-piece, and I did think that that was a bit over-long ... interestingly I was talking about my 30 hour campaign playthrough in RDR in the early days of this very thread, so it's neat to see how some predictions/expectations/hopes/considerations came true.

GTA IV and RDR both had moments of framerate drop, but never anything serious, so reports of a little bit of that happening in GTA V is to be expected, and I'm not worried about it.

Something I quite liked in the video reviews there is that it showed just how wide the view is when flying/parachuting/etc - they're showing off that world of their's grand style, and quite right. Talk of controversial scenes of sex, drugs, and violence? COUNT. ME. IN.

Blimey ... it's a matter of hours now.

What's the bet that Royal Mail have lost my parcel?

United States
    Edge: 10/10

http://www.edge-online.com/review/gr...auto-v-review/

No one makes worlds like Rockstar, but at last it has produced one without compromise. Everything works. It has mechanics good enough to anchor games of their own, and a story that is not only what GTA has always wanted to tell but also fits the way people have always played it. It’s a remarkable achievement, a peerless marriage of world design, storytelling and mechanics that pushes these ageing consoles to the limit and makes it all look easy. As we stand on the brink of a new generation, GTAV sends an intimidating message to the rest of the industry. Beat that.
    I can't wait until tonight! Considering I'm going digital-only for all my purchases next gen, this will probably be the last midnight launch I attend. Avoiding spoilery gameplay these past few days has been rough, but the wait is almost over.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Really? Lucky bugger.

Oh, I'm not falling for any of Neil's silly bugger antics.

No, but you fell for my antics.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    No, but you fell for my antics.
    Well, yours was more conceivable - I've received pre-ordered games a day early a few times in the past, and have heard of cases of people successfully buying big name releases a day early in shops - particularly indie stores ... still, only one-out-of-three - I think I did quite well.

United States
    Mine should be waiting for me when I get home from work tomorrow. The antici. . . . . . . . .pation!

Also, Adam Sessler gives it a 5/5 as well. . . .

"When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Well, yours was more conceivable - I've received pre-ordered games a day early a few times in the past, and have heard of cases of people successfully buying big name releases a day early in shops - particularly indie stores ... still, only one-out-of-three - I think I did quite well.
    I will probably wait, until Black Friday. The game may be cheaper and with less bugs. I have a lot of games to play and bills to pay, first.
    Last edited by slickwilly13; 16-Sep-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: error

United States
    And some tips from Sessler. . .

"When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

UK
    This might be worth taking note of for 360 users:

Rockstar recommends that you shouldn't install the GTA5 play disc on Xbox 360
    Based on what we're seeing on the Xbox 360 version, perhaps running both DVD and HDD assets from just the one source slows down access times, impacting streaming performance. It's not game-breaking stuff, but it does take you out of the moment when it does manifest and for that reason we can't recommend installing the play disc
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-360-play-disc

Administrator

England
    Recommendation on the XBox is to NOT do a full install.

Today they specified that while the game offers an option to install both discs, they are advising gamers not to install the 'play' disc (that the second disc).

"For optimal performance, we recommend not installing the play disc," Rockstar said via their the company's Twitter support page.
    From what I understand, that way the game runs smoother as it can load from the harddrive and dvd drive at the same time, so can load quicker!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    heh, now this bit of news did actually give me a brief fright - but fortunately it wouldn't have been something that would have affected me as I was always going to use the play disc in the DVD drive (i.e. the recommended way). I had to buy a flash drive to install it onto, so hopefully that all goes well today - I'm sitting here looking at the game and I'll get cracking into it this afternoon.

I was figuring to myself 'working off two different drives probably gives them better streaming capabilities' - and indeed that's the case. I do recall with GTA IV (which was purely on-disc) that if I was going flat out through the city I'd eventually go too fast for the data to stream, but clearing the cache helped with that, but even still that was somewhat of a problem with GTA IV from time-to-time. Hopefully with GTA V's two-streams approach it'll be smoother.

I'll report back later on - hopefully everything goes smoothly after all this build up, eh?!

Ireland
    Recommendation on the XBox is to NOT do a full install.

From what I understand, that way the game runs smoother as it can load from the harddrive and dvd drive at the same time, so can load quicker!
    That's going to mean a hell of a lot of noise. My xbox is like a flippin plane taking off when it runs a game from the disk. PS3 might be the way to go.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    PC might be the way to go.
    Fixed

That or PS4
    -Carl Sagan