Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: George Romero who??? Darabont the new KING of zombies

United States
    I pretty well see what Kraken is saying. And I tend to agree. The characters are getting a lot of attention and a lot of screen time, which is good, but they aren't doing much to make them interesting. You can't look at Grimes and compare him with, say, Neville from I Am Legend. And he's the MOST interesting character so far. The series has explored the space of stereotypes more than developing unique and interesting characters.

I also agree with Kraken's zombie take. It's a zombie apocalpyse and the better part of the pilot showed people with absolutely no struggle to survive. And when we finally get to the zombie mob scene it feels contrived. Ep 2 improved that sense of peril a bit, but again, to me it felt contrived. I just kept thinking it really didn't look that bad.

I wouldn't classify it as ho-hum like Kraken. I think it's very enjoyable. And I don't really care that it's full of warts. It beats out almost every zombie everything in recent memory.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Ah. Well, as I said, it IS the pilot, which merely sets the stage. The development comes later. I need to keep in mind your coments ARE limited to the pilot. But I can't help but getting the vibe that this is like meeting a guy for the first time. He sticks out his hand & says "Hi, how are you?". The person meeting him shakes it, walks away, & goes "Gee, that guy is dull!". You might want to at least get to know the guy first.

But then again, if you didn't like the pilot, you may not like the series either, so don't bother. To each their own.

United States
    You're shaking that guy's hand for 90 minutes though. Grimes has had more screen time that Cooper from Night, John from Day, or Charlie or Cholo from Land. And each of those character is more well defined in my mind than Grimes. I think AMC is trying to milk the show with slow pacing - one of my previous gripes. They're sticking one twist into each episode and filling in around it. I understand that they have loads of time to work with and don't want to feel rushed. And sometimes that filler is very very good. Like the sweeping shots of the world or little things to display how society crumbled as the zombies surged. But at the same time I kinda have a hard time getting psyched to watch it. I have a hard time justifying an hour for that much actual content.
    Last edited by Trin; 17-Nov-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Yes, we have some reasons

United States
    Might be best just to give it a pass then. No need to watch something you don't enjoy.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I think my negative comments have been blown out of proportion because I've spent the last few posts defending my negative comments, to the point where the positive things I had to say about it have become buried further up the thread.

I did actually quite like the pilot, overall. Just because I think it's overrated doesn't mean I think it's bad, per se.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I think my negative comments have been blown out of proportion because I've spent the last few posts defending my negative comments, to the point where the positive things I had to say about it have become buried further up the thread.

I did actually quite like the pilot, overall. Just because I think it's overrated doesn't mean I think it's bad, per se.
    Fair enough. I don't know if it's overrated though, because honestly, I'm having a hard time getting a gague on how it's rated to begin with? It's generated a lot of talk & discussion, but other than a few hyperbole driven comments early on, I don't THINK it's getting rated any higher than it should...? Hard to keep track with all the discussion going on, nor would I want to.

I dunno. I like it. I enjoy it. That's all. I can't really place it any better than that contextually at this point. It just is what it is.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 17-Nov-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: mor 2 sae

United States
    I think the overall tone of the posts would be different if people weren't posting in light of the thread title. If the title of the thread were "Darabont blew it!! GAR still KING of zombies!!" the negativity would likely become shifted to positive.

Cause it really is good entertainment.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    ROTLD introduced un-kill-able, talking zombies and some Romero purists had a holy shit fit with that as well. Any INdie zombie movie called COLIN that follows everything from a zombies perspective was new and inventive, but because it is indie people won't even give it a shot.
    I've always been a fan of ROTLD and ROTLD2, and Colin rocked I bought a copy of it after I watched it online. I highly reccomend it. Course, I wouldn't have even known about it had I not did a zombie search on Rotten Tomatoes... it needs more publicity.
    Last edited by Gryphon; 17-Nov-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: O.O

United States
    It is a good and entertaining series in my opinion, it is Zombies on TV and in the mainstream and so many of us have wanted that for a very long time. You are not going to like everything about it. If you like everything about everything and everyone in the world I want what you are smoking. Lots of it.

It should be allowed to stand on it's own two feet, and not HAVE to be compared to Night, or Dawn, or Day in order to determine it's worth and value. It is it's own offering that respects what came before while putting its own twist on it.

I wan to see more zombies of course, and more of a sense of dread and fear. We have some of that, but of course this series is about the people and zombies are the back drop We need to understand that. Also, I need to add to that that while we are comparing offering. Survival had ZERO sense of dread or urgency... so this to me was a step up from that. Contrived? Maybe. I did not see it that way but I respect your opinion.

So far it is really enjoyable, and I dare call it great. Better than GAR. I think it is silly to even worry about such things.

It is what it is.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    It is a good and entertaining series in my opinion, it is Zombies on TV and in the mainstream and so many of us have wanted that for a very long time. You are not going to like everything about it. If you like everything about everything and everyone in the world I want what you are smoking. Lots of it.

It should be allowed to stand on it's own two feet, and not HAVE to be compared to Night, or Dawn, or Day in order to determine it's worth and value. It is it's own offering that respects what came before while putting its own twist on it.

I wan to see more zombies of course, and more of a sense of dread and fear. We have some of that, but of course this series is about the people and zombies are the back drop We need to understand that. Also, I need to add to that that while we are comparing offering. Survival had ZERO sense of dread or urgency... so this to me was a step up from that. Contrived? Maybe. I did not see it that way but I respect your opinion.

So far it is really enjoyable, and I dare call it great. Better than GAR. I think it is silly to even worry about such things.

It is what it is.
    Hahahaha - Even as you tell us to stop comparing it with Night/Dawn/Day you then compare it with Survival and end with "Better than GAR." You ARe OnE oF US!! *twisted laugh*

You gotta figure that the group of people who can spend 20 years picking apart 3 movies will pick apart a fresh new TV series nonstop for weeks. Comparing, constrasting, debating, analyzing, agonizing, etc. It's who we are.

Face the facts. TWD is the zombie-lover equivalent to a daytime soap opera and we are the coffee clutch of housewives sitting around chatting about it!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Hahahaha - Even as you tell us to stop comparing it with Night/Dawn/Day you then compare it with Survival and end with "Better than GAR." You ARe OnE oF US!! *twisted laugh*

You gotta figure that the group of people who can spend 20 years picking apart 3 movies will pick apart a fresh new TV series nonstop for weeks. Comparing, contrasting, debating, analyzing, agonizing, etc. It's who we are.

Face the facts. TWD is the zombie-lover equivalent to a daytime soap opera and we are the coffee clutch of housewives sitting around chatting about it!!
    LOL, I noted that at the end and was hoping not to be called on it.

Let me rephrase by saying one does not need to be the best of the best they are their own offerings, and it is possible to compare and contrast but it is not needed to crown a new king

Damn you Trin.
    Last edited by Thorn; 18-Nov-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: fixed.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So if Darabont is the king up to this point, who will be crowned king when episode four airs? Darabont's got nothing to do with that one.
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Nov-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So if Darabont is the king up to this point, who will be crowned king when episode four airs? Darabont's got nothing to do with that one.
    Andy.

United States
    One would hope that the series storyline and overall feel won't change. Which would imply that even future episodes can be somewhat attributed to the style set forth by the first few episodes (which may or may not be all Darabont's doing). It would be very jarring for viewers if the series changes tone or mood or pacing midway. But I suppose we need to be prepared for that?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post

You gotta figure that the group of people who can spend 20 years picking apart 3 movies will pick apart a fresh new TV series nonstop for weeks. Comparing, constrasting, debating, analyzing, agonizing, etc. It's who we are.