Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Alan Wake - (original video game)

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Lose money on them? I'm not sure about that.

Another opportunity to make a bit more scratch, these companies would be all over it. With Alan Wake suffering from the leviathon effect of RDR (as did several other titles), I'd be surprised if they didn't release the DLCs on disc at some point.

Looking at the range of Alan Wake releases - the normal game, the LCE version of the game, the novelisation, the "Illuminated" making-of book, and the orchestral soundtrack CD (my copy is winging its way to me now :cool) - it'd be odd for them not to eek out a bit more cash by releasing them on disc. They wouldn't have put all that stuff out if they weren't going to make money on it.
    They are, it's called xbla. Your in the minority dude, if they can sell it digitally to there millions of customers and make easy money why would they spend money to produce hard copies for a vastly inferior sized offline market.
    Bearing in mind alan wake didnt do well. at all. Games like gta and fallout were popular enough to be able to afford the loses of hard copy media production after the main article has been released at retail because it had saturated the market enough to allow them to recoup there loses.
    Alan wake was nowhere close to as popular as either, in its peak week only selling around 100,000 copies in the entire united states.
    It barely sold enough to garner a sequel, its not worth the money to microsoft and remedy to produce a dlc hard copy for the few thousand people who cannot download what is already for most a free download when its just a straight money loss.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    They are, it's called xbla. Your in the minority dude, if they can sell it digitally to there millions of customers and make easy money why would they spend money to produce hard copies for a vastly inferior sized offline market.
    Bearing in mind alan wake didnt do well. at all. Games like gta and fallout were popular enough to be able to afford the loses of hard copy media production after the main article has been released at retail because it had saturated the market enough to allow them to recoup there loses.
    Alan wake was nowhere close to as popular as either, in its peak week only selling around 100,000 copies in the entire united states.
    It barely sold enough to garner a sequel, its not worth the money to microsoft and remedy to produce a dlc hard copy for the few thousand people who cannot download what is already for most a free download when its just a straight money loss.
    All true...Except the part of warranting a sequel... After a dev time of over half a decade this well likely only see a sequel if Microsoft is willing to sink money in a money pit... And Microsoft NEVER does that.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    All true...Except the part of warranting a sequel... After a dev time of over half a decade this well likely only see a sequel if Microsoft is willing to sink money in a money pit... And Microsoft NEVER does that.
    remedys already been talking about "Alan Wake season 2", but yeah, if they hadn't mentioned it i wouldnt have thought so either.

Undisclosed
    remedys already been talking about "Alan Wake season 2", but yeah, if they hadn't mentioned it i wouldnt have thought so either.
    Were have you seen them say anything other then they would like to do a season 2... Everything I have read has said them say they would like to but the ball is in Microsoft's court... And there is no financial sense in Microsoft moving forward.
    Among the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Were have you seen them say anything other then they would like to do a season 2... Everything I have read has said them say they would like to but the ball is in Microsoft's court... And there is no financial sense in Microsoft moving forward.
    The remedy guys regularly post on the remedy forums and run a wikia for the stuff which all say stuff like "find out what was up with agent nightingale in season 2!"

Undisclosed
    The remedy guys regularly post on the remedy forums and run a wikia for the stuff which all say stuff like "find out what was up with agent nightingale in season 2!"
    Yeah they said before the release that they already had the plot for the 2nd season.. And that they would love to continue there partnership with Microsoft but that it would be up to how well it sells.. And we know how well it sold.

So until you hear word from Microsoft ... And I suspect if for some reason Microsoft decided to give it another whirl, that they themselves will be the one to want to officially announce it as they usually do... They can be so controlling on that stuff that they can damage relationships with devs...See Bungie for example on that.

Dont hold your breath on a season 2 unless the numbers come up on Alan Wake.. Or for some reason "The Writer" sells bigtime.
    Last edited by CooperWasRight; 06-Aug-2010 at 12:25 PM.
    Among the Dead

Super Moderator

UK
    Does anyone know how Alan Wake sold worldwide? All we ever hear are sales figures based on North America, and that's far from the entire game buying market.

Thinking about the engine for the game - I wonder if they would sell that on to other developers? It just seems like they've got so much in that engine and it can do so many things and affords such control, that you'd think they'd be able to sell it onto some other people - like, not everyone can use Unreal Engine, you know?

Naturally new assets would be created with it and it'd need updating and tweaking and such, but as a platform to work from, well, I was just thinking...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Does anyone know how Alan Wake sold worldwide? All we ever hear are sales figures based on North America, and that's far from the entire game buying market.

Thinking about the engine for the game - I wonder if they would sell that on to other developers? It just seems like they've got so much in that engine and it can do so many things and affords such control, that you'd think they'd be able to sell it onto some other people - like, not everyone can use Unreal Engine, you know?

Naturally new assets would be created with it and it'd need updating and tweaking and such, but as a platform to work from, well, I was just thinking...
    330,289 stateside.... 293,646 the rest of the world. total 623,395...
    Among the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    330,289 stateside.... 293,646 the rest of the world. total 623,395...
    Those are awful figures. It's such a great game though.

It seems as if the public just wants shooters and multiplayer nowdays which is probably why most games that are released now concentrate on it so heavily.

I'll bet that if AW had multiplayer or co-op it would have sold atleast twice that many but the main game would almost certainly not have been as sharp.

Imo, ilike it just the way they did it.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2 On Sale For Very Cheap

Hey bassman!

This is right up your alley!

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/70...ery-Cheap.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Red Dead Redemption definitely sucked the air out of AW's sails - but it did the same to a few other titles launching around the same time too, so I've read (forget the names - at the time I was only fussed about AW and RDR - both of which I'd pre-ordered).

Alan Wake will hopefully be a sleeper hit, and gain some momentum gradually ... although with people buying it at sale prices, that's a shame for Remedy as well ... plus with Mafia 2 coming out at the end of the month (again, I've got it pre-ordered ) then that's another big title with lots of anticipation surrounding it.

Hopefully AW can pull through as a franchise though, especially with books and soundtrack CDs adding to the income stream. It really deserves to be loved and played by as many people as possible ... it could have also done with coming out a year earlier than it did, but sometimes things aren't meant to work out as easily as all that.

I think it's got a dedicated following though. Those who dig it can't get it out of their heads ... and those who don't, well, there are cunts everywhere out in the world aren't there?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Played the first 3 episodes again, back up to the cauldron lake lodge. This is my ninth playthrough of the game and its still totally rad.

ON THE HARDEST SETTING. LIKE A BOSS.

Super Moderator

UK
    NINTH playthrough?!

Ruddy nora! I've only played it through once so far! And here I am debating about whether I'm ready or not to 2nd-play-through Ghostbusters!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Currently enjoying the OST and my lovely new copy of the Original, Orchestral soundtrack.

Why did they never do one of these for Max Payne, and if they did why was i too lazy to google it before now!

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn, my copy is still in the post... *grumbly-groo*

Speaking of which, I don't know why, but I didn't much car for "War" originally and skipped by it on YouTube when listening to the licensed tracks, but then recently when finding the other tracks (as heard on the 'end of episode' bits), I listened to it again and I absolutely love that track now.

And "Late Goodbye" from Max Payne 2 was "teh awesomez".