Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Why people hate LOTD

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    copius?, i thought that was a term used in cooking or engine maintenance?

Super Moderator

UK
    It's one of my new favourite words.

COPIOUS!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    mine are

1friggin'
    2bitchin'
    3pimp-mobile
    4kryptonite
    5like a rabbit caught in the headlights

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I think it was that after waiting almost 20 years for a new zombie film by GAR nothing could live up to it.

And it was almost a class on the theory of marxism ( with zombies ).
    I think he went overboard on the " the rich are evil and the poor are good" message"

the flick had some huge holes in the storyline that you could drive a truck through. ( other than the dead walking around and eating people )

I saw it twice with a hardcore fan and someone that never saw a GAR movie before. Both were down on the flick.

I am fan of GAR but he could make a better movie than land.

And yes, if he makes another zombie flick I'll be there on opening day. I was turned off by the " if you don't like land you are not a GAR zombie fan" vibe going on here last year. but that seems to have died down.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by mst3k

And it was almost a class on the theory of marxism ( with zombies ).
    I think he went overboard on the " the rich are evil and the poor are good" message"
    I think you missed the point a bit. It's not that rich people are evil but people who keep other people down for their own gain and profit are evil. Mr. Romero is rich himself and I don't think he see's himself as evil.

Super Moderator

UK
    He's a rich, aging hippy - but the good kind of "hippy". The bad kind all sold out and still trade off their days at Woodstock or some bra burning parade or something. GAR seems like a pretty chilled out kinda dude who seems pretty enlightened - knows his place sorta thing. A lot of the "bad" hippies think they can change the world by not washing and living in a tent.

United States
    i don't understand the hate, but then again, i didn't read all 17 pages of this either.

i enjoyed it, mainly cause i didn't expect to be like the others. i felt it evolved nicely.

Christmas Island
    Why I hate LOTD:

The makeup. I thought it was pretty bad but what really bothered me was that it took the feel of grisly decay, so nicely set up in Day, and threw it out the window. In the end, I felt I was watching a sequel to Night 90 instead of Day of the Dead.

The attacks. The attacks in Day as well as Dawn were pretty extreme, adding to the horrific feel of the situation. The attacks in Land were so quick and clean (perhaps an editing issue) as to be practically non-existent, leaving the film feeling pretty flat.

The living. There were too many people at Fiddler's Green which, again, hurt the consistency of the series.

The characterizations. I couldn't get a feel for anyone let alone care for anyone because the characters were so bland, almost like cardboard. Also there was no real feeling of struggle. Oh yeah, there was the class warfare crap but it was depicted at such a shallow level as to be annoying. It worked better, IMO, in Night or Day with racial tensions between a few characters that surface as the tension increases (Baldie in Night 68 didn't say it but you knew that he didn't want the colored in HIS cellar, he was just too conservative to say so).

The music. Dawn, Day and even Night had fun, enjoyable scores. Land had, well it had something, just nothing memorable.

That's all I can think of for now. I haven't read all the posts in this humungous thread so I may have repeated some points.
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 06-May-2006 at 11:50 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    A lot of the "bad" hippies think they can change the world by not washing and living in a tent.

i thought all hippies fell under that particular category.

Super Moderator

UK
    Exactly, I think a lot of people went in expecting something and then didn't get it. I've found time and again, when I expect a movie to be/do something - it never pans out and I'm disappointed. It's like with "Hostel", I went with the hype of it being ultra-violent and really scary ... erm, no.

With "Land" I was simply just really psyched about a new GAR zombie flick, and seeing it in the cinema opening night, but I wasn't expecting anything from it. Afterall, Day of the Dead wasn't another Dawn of the Dead, so Land was never going to be another Night/Dawn/Day. Each film has a completely different style and feel to it's predecessors/successors - and I like that, he's keeping the series fresh where other filmmakers would churn out same-again-fare.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Question Why do people hate LOTD?

Why do people hate LOTD? The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the length. I see it as part of the series. That'd be nice if good old GAR did a trilogy, Then think of LOTD as the first in the trilogy. For all he knows there's going to be 9 or 10 dead films he says. His movies are usually based on politics of the time. He needs something big to happen before he does the next one. I say Land Pt. 2 would be good. See if they made it to Canada. Maybe eventually to alaska? It has been a few decades since he directed a dead movie.

Undisclosed
    Whats to hate ? It had some very important elements:

Zombies
    Guns
    two semi hot lesbians for a very brief......too brief......so short.....moment.....

excuse me.

Undisclosed
    I loved it. Most people argue with me but I thought it when in the same direction as the other films. Could have been longer.
    I've selected a knit stocking cap, black and gold, with a Steeler emblem on the side. Is it okay if I put some spaghetti sauce on it? - George A. Romero

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MapMan
    Whats to hate ? It had some very important elements:

Zombies
    Guns
    two semi hot lesbians for a very brief......too brief......so short.....moment.....

excuse me.
    But it had no decent or coherent story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkboy
    I think you missed the point a bit. It's not that rich people are evil but people who keep other people down for their own gain and profit are evil. Mr. Romero is rich himself and I don't think he see's himself as evil.

Rich people are evil.

I know where you are coming from, and I agree 100%. This is a pure example of the class war going on today. If you look at how the current administration handles the poor and middle class, you see the exact same thing in LAND.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 09-May-2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Australia
    I really enjoy those glimpses of the outside world - the land of the dead - where we see the dead going about their business. I love that the band are still (or, perhaps more correctly, have returned to) honking and hooting away in the gazebo, that the security guard is lurking in the liquor store, that the gardener is mowing (albeit the parking lot), that Big Daddy is pumpin' gas and that there's a guy perfectly content to just SIT there on the park bench. What else are ya gonna do when you run out of people to eat? To quote a movie tagline: "Adapt or Die."

I love the silohetted zombies amongst the trees, the corpse bride, the extra-emaciated zombies nearing their end of days... the peaceful, almost thriving, existence of it all - torn asunder by the growl of Dead Reckoning and the wail of her guns.

I love that kinda attention to detail, a sorta love even, that you just don't get from any other zombie filmmaker.

I do, however, hate the over-reliance on CGI blood. **** that ****.