Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Human Centipede II banned in the UK

Ireland
    I actually thought that 'The Human Centipede' was an Ok film. Nothing special. It's concept far outweighed the content and I honestly don't know what all the fuss was about.

I haven't heard anything about the sequel, so will reserve judgment on that and haven't seen, nor particularly want to see 'Grotesque' or 'A Serbian Film', which I've heard is tough going. But, I've also heard it lauded in some quarters as a fine critique on the "darker" side of Serbia. Which, I suspect is a load of old bollocks, in the same vein as Pasolini's 'Salo: 120 Days of Sodom' was supposed to be about fascism. Bunkum, of course, as there is no real coherent comment on fascism inherent in shots of people eating shit.

Incidentally, Passolini's film fell foul of the BBFC too in the 70's.

However, I remain opposed to the banning of such films and am unconvinced that it does anything at all for the "protection" of anyone. In fact, as I stated earlier, it'll more than likely elongate the shelf life of poor movies than anything else.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Well no doubt there'll be a bunch of extra downloads to see THC2 - although as they'll be illegal downloads, the makers won't see shit in terms of money from it - so it kinda works against it in a way, but it's always the way. You say "you can't have this", and you immediately want it (usually). I'm on the fence really. I can understand why it ran foul, but I'm also sketchy about banning stuff, even if it is a load of pretentious bullshit with a dose of controversy magnet thrown in ... and to, as has been said, let it sink on it's own (lack of) merits.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    God we're all such rational and functioning human beings, we should be in government.
    Rarely do you see a bunch of people with their heads screwed on as much as us lot - I agree with pretty much 100% of everything that's been said here.

With regards to A Serbian Film - I saw that scene that it's famous for. A guy shagging a Tiny Tears isn't really that horrific, but the idea is clearly abhorrent and not worth justifying a full watch for me...I saw literally about 3 seconds...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    With regards the UK and freedom of speech: FoS, in British law, really only refers to political, rather than creative, freedom of speech. In other words, you are free to criticise the government and have a legal right to protest, but this does not necessarily extend to things like "obscenity" in film. It's a matter of priority: in the US FoS is given precedence over other concerns, whereas in the UK The question of "harm"takes precedence. Of course, it is pretty patronizing to say that a large enough number of responsible adults would be "harmed" by watching a film like Human Centipede 2 to justify banning it, but the critical (and unfortunate) point is that this kind of censorship actually has popular support in the UK. Yes, you won't meet many cinephiles who support it, but your average gran on the street who reads the trash tabloids, which will no-doubt be having a field day over the "sick shocker" banned by the BBFC, will fully support the ban. Yes, we are a democracy, and yes we could have full freedom of speech if the people really wanted it, but sadly we'll never get it thanks to the likes of Rupert Murdoch and the millions of shit-fed proles who buy into their hypocritical brand of morality.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I dunno, I'm a cinephile and a movie lover and I defo support the ban on this product. For me its more a question of taste vs value
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    But actively banning it from sale is a heavy-handed, overbearing act for a government-related body to take, I think.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I dunno, I'm a cinephile and a movie lover and I defo support the ban on this product. For me its more a question of taste vs value
    But, who are you to regulate "taste" ?

What if something you found within your taste was banned? Your perspective would be very different.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    But, who are you to regulate "taste" ?

What if something you found within your taste was banned? Your perspective would be very different.
    I'll cogitate on this for a while.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    It's been 2 hours Aces...Com'on!!!!!!!!

United States
    Shhhh! Don't monkey with a great man when he's thinking!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's been 2 hours Aces...Com'on!!!!!!!!
    These things take time, but if you must have an answer....let's see...

Please note, I never said my ways were time efficient.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Tsk tsk...just not good enough man.

*walks off, totally disillusioned*

United States
    All I could think about during the original was how, if I had to be one of the pieces of that awful experiment, I'd wanna be the Asian dood at the front.
    Wasn't a bad movie, by the way. Gross, but not bad.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    spose I should wade in again....

Honestly I think we all have a pretty standard marker for right and wrong and really subjective stuff like banned movies - its a grey area only if you make it that way in your head.

Its easy to look at a film (talking only about films here) and know from watching it if there was a plot or a progressing story or whatever...I'm sure all of you here could tell the difference between a well produced 2 hour pr0n movie and a movie like Bound or whatever...you know something with even the slightest attempt at subtext or meaning....and with Grotesque I can totally see why it was banned - because it completely lacked anything that sets itself apart from a 2 hour gonzo pr0n movie.

Maybe this is why most of those video nasties are readily available on DVD - why now you can get The Burning with all the wax fingers being cut off...because they, like us, would have seen the narratives and progressive nature of the content rather than it being 2 people, in a room, for 2 hours, either sh*gging, dismembering, torturing etc etc - as I say nothing setting it apart from gonzo pr0n only a few extra bucks and marginally better actors.

Just sayin' - it needs a story or there's no point. Its just absolute turgid shite which I wouldn't want a 9 year old watching by accident or any other means. At LEAST with "Nekromantic" or whatever, it has 3 acts, a narrative..blah blah...

dunno if i've really thought this through but there you go.

Administrator

England
    If you dont want your 9 year old kid watching it, dont leave a copy lying around your house. Parents should take more responsibility and stop looking to the government for ultimate blame.

While im not a fan of the human centipede by any means (it was a mediocre film at best) i am totally and 100% against banning ANY movie. There is nothing that qualifies somebody to tell another fully grown adult what they can and cannot watch in their own home.

Anyway, looks like the director has responded to the ban. This actually made me laugh.