Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metropolitan Police - Oh dear, not good!

Administrator

England
    ^^ what he said!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Weird the things people get riled up over. I mean, he was close to death's door anyway. Wow, I'm a compassionate person. But seriously, what the cop did was wrong, but so was what the guy did (being an alcoholic or whatever). People die every day in the street. Does it really matter? Why are we having such a discussion? Sorry, but I don't really see the importance of this story. We all know that sometimes the police aren't as friendly or competent as we'd like, and like I said death isn't something new. I feel sorry for his kids, though.
    The guy clearly didnt know he was on deaths door,and besides are you saying if someone dropped dead in front of you on the street you'd just step over them without a second thought?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yeah. They're dead, they don't care. Dead bodies, unless they're walking around, are harmless forms of biological waste. Funerals are creepy, it's like putting a shiny pink bow on a pile of crap. Living people are the only people.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Really now... You're suggesting if he'd been a nobel prize winner your analysis of his treatment might have been different?
    Er, I suggested nothing of the sort. Though I do imagine there might be a Nobel or two who need a thump on the noggin to set their thinking straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The principle at hand here is a guy, doing no harm to anyone, trying to simply get from A to B, was for no reason assaulted by the police. His death is not the main issue, it's the needless assault.
    I guess it is simply differing points of view.

You see a "needless assault", I see a cop issuing a physical "move along" while advancing into an area where 4 officers had just been accosted by a group of 20-25 protesters. Tensions were obliviously high.

Neil, if this vid showed Thomlinson simply walking down a peaceful street and suddenly being pounced on by the police, my opinion would be quite different.

Now, hows about those 20-25 protesters who got the cops riled up in the first place? Shouldn't they also be investigated as accessories in Thomlinson's death? If they weren't there instigating trouble to begin with, none of this would have happened.

Thomlinson: wrong place, wrong time. Maybe he should have read one of those newspapers he sold and realized beforehand that he could be walking into a hot spot.

-stray-

ps -- after viewing the video several times I do kinda feel sorry for the guy.

Kazakhstan
    Nah seriously, the police have been very unsound to a lot of people in the past week, it's not just trouble makers who were getting battered. I can see the skyscrapers on the Isle of Dogs from the end of my street, trust me
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

England
    Yeah. They're dead, they don't care. Dead bodies, unless they're walking around, are harmless forms of biological waste. Funerals are creepy, it's like putting a shiny pink bow on a pile of crap. Living people are the only people.
    strange view you have on these things dude,especially with that dawn quote in your sig....

United States

"A shiny pink bow on a pile of crap"???????

I beg to differ.

My profession and the numerous families that have suffered a loss of loved one and have found solace from their pain through the ritual of a funeral or memorial service would dispute your claim.

In the words of Gladstone:

"Show me the way a nation cares for its dead, and I will measure for you with mathematical exactness the tender mercies of its people, their respect for the laws of their land, and their loyalty to high ideals"

Either you are joking around in your post, or you are a person with a lack of compassion for others, and a lack of respect for the dignity of life and the reality of your own mortality.

People die every day in the street. Does it really matter?

Yes sir. It certainly does matter.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 10-Apr-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Either you are joking around in your post, or you are a person with a lack of compassion for others, and a lack of respect for the dignity of life and the reality of your own mortality.
    I don't care about body disposal, either. Once I'm dead, I'm just a lump of meat. I plan on having my family cut my body up and hide me with the household trash once a week, a little at a time.

Why pay the undertaker thousands of dollars? My people can say a few words out in the backyard, then break out the Hefty Cinch-Saks.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I don't care about body disposal, either. Once I'm dead, I'm just a lump of meat. I plan on having my family cut my body up and hide me with the household trash once a week, a little at a time.

Why pay the undertaker thousands of dollars? My people can say a few words out in the backyard, then break out the Hefty Cinch-Saks.
    Difference is, you are talking about your own funeral, or lack thereof. I too don't want my family to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a ceremony for me when I pass- though I expect that funerals being for the living and all, they will do whatever they feel like doing to comfort themselves.

SRP, After reading so many of your posts, I think I know enough about you to guess that if someone died in front of you that you would not treat his or her remains as a pile of crap to be stepped over and consider the dead person due no more respect than if his or her body was an actual pile of crap.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 10-Apr-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    SRP, After reading so many of your posts, I think I know enough about you to guess that if someone died in front of you that you would not treat his or her remains as a pile of crap to be stepped over and consider the dead person due no more respect than if his or her body was an actual pile of crap.
    Depends on the situation. If it's an emergency situation, well, sorry about your luck, dead guy. But if I just happened upon a dead body someplace, I'd call emergency services and report the body so they can come pick it up; I wouldn't just leave it there and pretend I didn't see it.

And, accuse me of watching too many movies if you want, but I would keep a decent distance and a sharp eye on it, in case it gets up.
    Last edited by SRP76; 10-Apr-2009 at 10:05 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post

And, accuse me of watching too many movies if you want, but I would keep a decent distance and a sharp eye on it, in case it gets up.
    Me too, brother.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Three words: "I. Was. Drunk!" Okay? What I don't understand is why you guys are actually thinking about and responding to my intoxicated ramblings! I'm sorry, okay, you happy? Geez! This is how I deal with uncomfortable topics like this. I put in some cynicism mixed with humor. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings or came off like a douche. I also notice that no one has yet volunteered to hold me. You're calling me not compassionate?

United States
    Three words: "I. Was. Drunk!"
    I've been there, and have said things that I later regretted while toasted. Which is why I do my best not to put in writing - especially in a forum - thoughts that I have when I am drunk.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Me too, brother.
    tell us the truth steve, you have a handgun with you under that suit everyday at work don't you, just in case?
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    What I don't understand is why you guys are actually thinking about and responding to my intoxicated ramblings!
    This is because no one realized that you were drunk - and how could they - which leads me to my question to you: what makes you think that anyone would know you were drunk when you made your post? My advice is, if you want people to know you are drunk when you are posting, maybe you should include that info at the beginning of the post so that people will know to either ignore or not take seriously that which you are posting.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings or came off like a douche.
    Dude, what you said had no impact on my feelings. I just did not agree with your statements and found them to be quite incompassionate, but it's your right to feel that way if you want. But I'm not going to hold you - sorry if that comes off as not compassionate, but it is just the way it is. Peace brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    tell us the truth steve, you have a handgun with you under that suit everyday at work don't you, just in case?
    A good funeral director is always prepared.

No gun, though I do have a vial of holy water and a silver crucifix. So if it's vampires and not zombies I should be well covered.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 11-Apr-2009 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost