Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Living up to the Hype - your insights into the last two years of video games.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Chrono Cross
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 17-Sep-2010 at 04:31 PM.

United States
    out of that list, i could agree that for their time, both tony hawk 2 and ocarina of time were unlike anything out there and as close to perfect as i could've imagined.

the rest, not so much.

EDIT: and oh nice, my insightful and thought-out long detailed post were left on the last screen, likely to be unread by most members here. was hoping to find somebody else who agrees with my gripes.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 17-Sep-2010 at 04:36 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As Prof says, I agree with Ocarine of Time getting a perfect score. I honestly can't think of one thing wrong with that game.

That's the only game that deserves it, imo.

EDIT: and oh nice, my insightful and thought-out long detailed post were left on the last screen, likely to be unread by most members here. was hoping to find somebody else who agrees with my gripes.
    I agree with most of your points. They've made gaming more of a chore rather than entertainment. For people like me that only play games a few times a week, it's just an annoyance. All the fees, exclusives, DLC, etc. Just give us the fucking game, ffs.
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Sep-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    out of that list, i could agree that for their time, both tony hawk 2 and ocarina of time were unlike anything out there and as close to perfect as i could've imagined.

the rest, not so much.

Aw, I read your post prof.

Most of the posting i do i during the daytime while I'm at work so I rarely have time to thoughtfully answer posts like that. Sorry.

Atleast I have an excuse though. And speaking of work, here come a client.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    thanks, guys. given that i'm a student with afternoons and fridays off, i forget some of ya'll feed your HPotD addiction from work.

speaking of ocarina of time, i've got that on my wii but have yet to go see the deku tree to start the main quest...forgot you have to have a sword and shield for that trip.

also, darth, as for that list of perfect scores, i seriously was surprised that neither RE2 or the gamecube REmake made that list. seems we're always bring those games up and how great they were..,wonder what their scores were?

oh well, ultimately, no gaming site is the authority on anything other than their employee's opinions.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 17-Sep-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    i forget some of ya'll feed your HPotD addiction from work.
    Not working is the only way to get through my workday

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    thanks, guys. given that i'm a student with afternoons and fridays off, i forget some of ya'll feed your HPotD addiction from work.

speaking of ocarina of time, i've got that on my wii but have yet to go see the deku tree to start the main quest...forgot you have to have a sword and shield for that trip.

also, darth, as for that list of perfect scores, i seriously was surprised that neither RE2 or the gamecube REmake made that list. seems we're always bring those games up and how great they were..,wonder what their scores were?

oh well, ultimately, no gaming site is the authority on anything other than their employee's opinions.
    These scores are a farce. How the fuck does RE2 get a 7 and code veronica a 9!

Shit, Out break scored higher. That's the definition of.

What

the

fuck

That's proof positive that these scores are bullshit.

I'll judge for myself thank you much.

I like gamespot because their archives go way back and you can see what some of the games we now consider classics scrored.

Just type resident evil into the search box.

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs=resident+evil

*edit* 7 was for the pc version.

Last edited by darth los; 17-Sep-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    The one game I can think of that still deserves the score it got, is Final Fantasy 7! The only thing it could do with to maintain the score is a graphical remake without altering a single thing about the gameplay, dialogue & plot I seem to remember it getting 9's & 10's in reviews 12 years back!
    Last edited by Tricky; 17-Sep-2010 at 06:18 PM.

United States

*edit* 7 was for the pc version.
    Still, they only gave the Playstation version an 8.9.

For it's time, it was definitely a 9+ game.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    its all subjective though, like ocarina of time, i thought its pacing was well off were as something widely regarded as a '7', mirrors edge, was a superb experience for me that i couldnt improve on. but tis not the same for everyone y'know?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    its all subjective though, like ocarina of time, i thought its pacing was well off were as something widely regarded as a '7', mirrors edge, was a superb experience for me that i couldnt improve on. but tis not the same for everyone y'know?
    Alot of it is really what you're into.

I use those ratings as a subjective guide into what the experience might hold. You, know little annoying things about the game, sucky control systems, glitches, etc.

But I try to keep an open mind going in.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Alot of it is really what you're into.

I use those ratings as a subjective guide into what the experience might hold. You, know little annoying things about the game, sucky control systems, glitches, etc.

But I try to keep an open mind going in.

still it never really sells it for me. Take Lost planet 2. lost planet 2 is essentially a sci-fi monster hunter meets 3rd person mech warrior shooter and it is a HOOT. now its got dumb a.i, the controls are kinda booty at points but you get 3 friends some mech suits, giant over the top sci-fi weapons, a level up system addons to alter what you can do and a screen filling enemy that can only be killed by a cannon so big its mounted on two fucking trains side by side that you need to work as its crew to load aim and fire and you have some of the most fun you will have on the xbox 360 in terms of co-op.

its panned in every review though, i got it just because i loved the first and id rather not see an interesting and inventive new franchise die under all the WW2 fps bullshit.

Super Moderator

UK
    You're behind the times hellsing, WW2 fps games are yesterday's news. Now everyone wants to make Modern Warfare-set FPS' ...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    You're behind the times hellsing, WW2 fps games are yesterday's news. Now everyone wants to make Modern Warfare-set FPS' ...
    eh, even rainbow six and its ilk have kind of been there done that y'know? and in terms of slightly futuristic ones GRAW still takes the cake. Play that on the hardest setting "realism mode" and it is a goddamn squad based hoot.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    eh, even rainbow six and its ilk have kind of been there done that y'know? and in terms of slightly futuristic ones GRAW still takes the cake. Play that on the hardest setting "realism mode" and it is a goddamn squad based hoot.
    Well, Rainbow Six is a different beast. It's part FPS, part 3PS, and part stealth action game ... plus the plots are B-Movie style nonsense ... it's just about the Vegas setting and shooting them up tactically. That's the reason for their existence ... speaking of which, I think Vegas 1 is better than Vegas 2.

Wasn't much into GRAW. It was alright, but looking at it now ... wow, it's amazing how much devs have been able to crank out of Xbox360's generation as GRAW looks really plain these days ... plus, yeah, I wasn't that fussed about it. Played it twice and that's it.