Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can there be such a thing as a Smart Film?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    One word: Pi
    YES! Darren Aronofsky....great director. I'm looking forward to seeing "The Fountain" for that reason.

Kazakhstan
    pi is good. seventh seal, requiem for a dream, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, memento, eraserhead, lots of chin strokin movies worth checking out...

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    pi is good. seventh seal, requiem for a dream, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, memento, eraserhead, lots of chin strokin movies worth checking out...
    Eraserhead, what a movie!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah, proper wierd i gurantee mz's seen it cus i saw a little of that in "VHS"

Super Moderator

UK
    I saw it once when I was 15. Took me a few months to get through it, I'd only manage about 5 to 10 minutes at a time and I'd be so weirded out I had to turn the tape off a wait a while before attempting the next part, so it ended up taking me a few months to actually get through the whole film!

What in "VHS" reminded you of Eraserhead?

(speaking of VHS, I'll do a write up of the Bloodbath Film Festival - where VHS was shown - I was at yesterday and will post a short video of it being shown soon as well).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I think Pi is a smart film. Watch it and you'll see how a film can be smart.
    But what makes it smart? And not just thoughtprovoking or "it has a message" or was well written. Because that's creativity or just preaching.

What makes a film SMART?

A film with a message is a film that's preaching something. A film that's thoughtprovoking doesn't have to be smart, because it's a message that the film might only agree with. A film that's well written is just creative.

None of those things make a film smart.

United States
    Finally found the trailer for Final Approach (1991)

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Undisclosed
    Jason goes to Hell was supposed to be a smart film. *L* Damn, they dropped the ball on that one. Seriously, the creators said that in Fangoria, before its release.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    I would say that the difference is: There are films designed to make you think and films designed to entertain you.
    Exactly. The only thing I would add to that is that there are some movies that have a certain degree of sophistication to their narrative that are require a modicum of intelligence on the viewers behalf (not to say you have to be a high falutin'-high brow mind you, but not an utter moron either.)

Someone mentioned Memento earlier. That was a pretty smart movie IMO. Intelligently written & you had to stay focused & stay sharp to keep up. A certain segment of the shallow half wit viewing public would just not "get it"

A movie like Road House, for example, is a fun film to me, an entertaining film, but smart? Eh...you can lay back & let it wash over you, it's easy to follow, doesn't take a lot of brainpower to figure out (though when someone pointed out to me how it follows the basic plot of a western w/ the new sheriff coming to clean up the town I thought that was moderately clever.)

So I guess maybe the degree of intelligence in the writing & the degree of intelligence required on behalf of the viewer might determine what is a smart movie? Just my thoughts.