Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Star Wars next year

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    Dude, AC/DC in 3D would be fantastic.
    The only film I've seen in 3D was Monsters v Aliens, and only because the kids wanted to see it in 3D. It was ok, but I find the whole 3D thing very gimmicky. Especially over here in the UK, with pubs showing football in 3D and shit. No way I'm standing in a bar with 3D glasses on, my vision gets blurry enough.
    3D sports broadcasts? I had no idea they had taken it that far. How are 3D sports supposed to work, anyway? Aren't they generally filmed from a distance? You know....from the sidelines?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I was sat there with a very specific pondering of "what on earth is the point in this 3D malarky?"
    I'll humour you for a sec and assume you're serious.

Imo, it's just the latest in gimmicky money grabs. These corps. have a certain pricepoint that they must maintain in order to reach the projections they promised the stockholders.

Take what has become the default pricepoint for consoles which is around 400 dollars. They know they can't charge you 400 dollars for old tech so they need to come up with something, anything so that they can keep charging you that price, thus securing their bottom lines.

Like the motion controls for consoles or the 3-D for cinema/consoles, I can't remmber anyone clamoring for this stuff. It's simply crammed down our throats and we're told that it's the next big thing and we have to have it.

As for how I feel about 3D. There wasn't a big void in my life that screamed tobe filled with 3 D, so I can live without it.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, yeah, it's a money grab - but I was talking aside from the obvious reason at a corporate level.

I wonder what attendence figures for 3D films are like now after the 18 months-ish that it's been around in full force, and indeed, how well are those retarded 3DTVs selling?

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    3D sports broadcasts? I had no idea they had taken it that far. How are 3D sports supposed to work, anyway? Aren't they generally filmed from a distance? You know....from the sidelines?
    Yeah, we've had 3D football (soccer to you heathens), boxing, rugby, darts and I'm sure others. Never watched them myself, and don't really plan on doing so.
    Kill 'em All

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    how well are those retarded 3DTVs selling?
    Funny you should mention that. I just read this article this morning. Don't know if you know but Best Buy is like the biggest electronics retailer in the U.S.

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...st-yet-to-come

As for what the squawk on the street is. I don't see much of a buzz. I mean no even talks about 3 D. I had the money to upgrade my setup recently and the whole setup would have cost me 4-5,000.

Are these people fucking kidding me man?

Last edited by darth los; 07-Mar-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: .
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    The take-up on Blu-Ray is relatively slow when compared to DVD, but no doubt that's because everyone leapt onto DVD in a flash as it was a major step up in terms of home video, and people then went on to grow large collections and DVDs themselves would quickly drop in price after the first couple of years.

Not so with Blu-Ray, which comes along when DVD is still strong, people have huge collections, and the prices of BR's fail to drop for months (at least in the UK ... for example, Taken can be bought for £3 on DVD, but the Blu-Ray is £10), and it means getting a new disc player - and even a new television - so it's not easy to just leap on that bandwagon ... plus the fallout from the economic crisis.

Go a step further, and we have 3DTV - who the fuck is going to buy a television, with few programmes and movies actually in 3D to watch on it, that requires you to sit like a knob'ed in your living room with glasses on? I've already grown tired of it in the cinema, nevermind watching 3D in my own home! It's an unnecessary technology - a piece of shit is still a piece of shit, whether it's in 3D or not. As much as Hollywood and tech manufacturers scream about "how awesome" 3D in general is, I just don't see the people on the street being all that enthused - the novelty in cinemas has worn off (a ruddy cheek too that you have to pay more than £2 extra a ticket to see a 3D movie!), so who on earth wants it in their homes?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    fuck 3d tv. bloke i know bought one for 5 grand, came with a pair of glasses- two glassesm that require fucking BATTERIES to watch television.

if you buy a 3d tv you are bloody mad.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    fuck 3d tv. bloke i know bought one for 5 grand, came with a pair of glasses- two glassesm that require fucking BATTERIES to watch television.

if you buy a 3d tv you are bloody mad.
    The glasses require batteries?!

Fuckin' loon with more money (or debt) than sense!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    3-D hasn't been cool since Eo. I already said that? Well, it's still true, dammit!
    Star Wars? Fu.... Man...
    What's wrong with Ewoks?! I love the lil' ankle-biters!! Yub-yub, bitch!

Administrator

England
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49066

This bit made me laugh!:-

This process is said to involve "meticulous crafting and attention to detail" - which means the folks doing the conversion are, in all probability, paying closer attention to the film than Lucas did when we he wrote and directed it.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Penny arcade is late to the game - but pretty funny, anyhow:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Ireland
    I just wish Lucas would die. I really hate the fucker now. He's gone from master to gobshite and he's still not finished with his downward spiral.

I watched 'Star Wars' last night (for the first time in ages) and that Greedo scene and that Jabba scene a few minutes later have to rank as some of the worst cinematic decisions ever to be taken. Not only does Greedo fire first, but he misses Han Solo from about 5ft away!!!! And the Jabba scene then goes on to repeat most of the Greedo scene's lines!

Fuckin hell........Lucas, you stupid c*nt.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I just wish Lucas would die.
    He's going to next year. According to him, we all are. The guy seriously believes that the world will end in 2012.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    He's going to next year. According to him, we all are. The guy seriously believes that the world will end in 2012.
    Which is why he's trying to cash in on as much "Star Wars" shit as he can in the short time he has left? Not to cast dispersions in your direction, but that doesn't make sense...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Which is why he's trying to cash in on as much "Star Wars" shit as he can in the short time he has left? Not to cast dispersions in your direction, but that doesn't make sense...
    I don't know if he believes it or not, but I remember reading some articles about it. I also remember seeing Seth Rogen on Conan Obrien saying that the first time he met Lucas, he was seriously discussing the world's end in 2012. Of course he could have been joking, but Rogen says he was pretty damn convincing.

You never know with these insanely rich folks. Look at Scientology, ya know what I mean?