Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Remake

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I dont mean to make this sound like a blunt comment, but I just thought it was a good film about zombies, just like the origional night, and just like the origional dawn. No hidden stories or messages, just things to move the story along. Does anyone agree?

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, I don't know that I definitively agree with the statement. I do think the film was thoughtfully made, but not with too much overt preachiness, but a few telling ideas echoing what people have always pointed out about the original (failure to work together to get through the situation being what really leads to the group's downfall) and a few telling ideas about the innate, almost primal, destructiveness of mankind (thinking about the ending).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Well, I don't know that I definitively agree with the statement. I do think the film was thoughtfully made, but not with too much overt preachiness, but a few telling ideas echoing what people have always pointed out about the original (failure to work together to get through the situation being what really leads to the group's downfall) and a few telling ideas about the innate, almost primal, destructiveness of mankind (thinking about the ending).
    I agree with this statement 100%.

It was a good zombie movie, and there were messages there for you if you wanted to see them. It was not overblown and preachy or hammered into your skull. But it was there, the way a message should be in this genre as a subtle undercurrent or through symbolism.

As a viewer I get offended when a director feels the need to spell his message out to me, maybe some people wont get it. Maybe. But give us the benefit of the doubt, give us some credit, do not put yourself above us and preach down to us.

You know at least one guy who feels the need to explain his jokes to you right? You either are offended because he assumes you are not smart enough to grasp "such high brow humor" or the joke is not worth telling if it needs to come with a full blown explanation.

For me film is the same way.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    But give us the benefit of the doubt, give us some credit, do not put yourself above us and preach down to us.

For some reason, Bono from U2 came to mind when I read this post. Apologies to the U2 fans out there.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 04-Nov-2008 at 12:39 AM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United Kingdom
    This isn't really relative to the original post but I watched Night '90 again the other day and had a thought; when Tom shoots the lock off the gas tank and the gasoline spurts out and catches fire on the torch on the back of the truck... I would have found that scene much more believable if he'd simply smashed the lock off with the butt of the shotgun and then the gasoline spurted out.

While he's young he sounds like quite a 'country boy' so I doubt he wouldn't realise how dangerous shooting at the gas tank was, and since the fire source for the explosion was the torch in the flatbed, smashing the lock could've garnered the same results.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know guys...the ending to Night90 is pretty damn "preachy", imho.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Now I'm going to have to make time to re-watch Night '90

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States

How so? Just curious as to what your take is on it, I too will go back and re-watch it for what you are talking about. I remember the end being interesting in that again Ben was wrong and the cellar brought only death. The keys were there the whole time in the cellar, and if Cooper had taken the tiem to work with the people upstairs they might well have lived. Again "people cause the problems, not the dead".

Then in the end she seeks revenge on cooper for the wrong he has done.

I think there is a message there, but I did not see it as forced down our throats you know?

Hmm.

I will watch it tonight and wait to see your take.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was refering more to the rednecks treating it like a big vacation and the whole "we're them and they're us" line.

United States
    I was refering more to the rednecks treating it like a big vacation and the whole "we're them and they're us" line.
    That is a good point. That was right there borderline "in your face" for me, and something I think we could have done without. The visualization was enough for anyone with a mind to see we did not need to have it explained.

Great point.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    That is a good point. That was right there borderline "in your face" for me, and something I think we could have done without. The visualization was enough for anyone with a mind to see we did not need to have it explained.

Great point.
    I thought it teetered right on the edge without going over. It was overt, but we weren't beaten over the head with it. Now going on about it for 90 min WOULD have been over the edge (Diary. As much as I like it, this was one of my few complaints. You can make a point with out having to make it OVER & OVER AGAIN through out the ENTIRE MOVIE...)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kona843 View Post
    I dont mean to make this sound like a blunt comment, but I just thought it was a good film about zombies, just like the origional night, and just like the origional dawn. No hidden stories or messages, just things to move the story along. Does anyone agree?
    You did realise this was a GAR discussion board when you joined up didnt you?