View Poll Results: What book would you most recomend to Thorn?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dying to Live: A Novel of Life Among the Undead

0 0%
  • Dead City

0 0%
  • Down the Road: A Zombie Horror Story

1 10.00%
  • Plague of the Dead (The Morningstar Strain)

2 20.00%
  • Eve of the Dead

1 10.00%
  • Day by Day Armageddon

1 10.00%
  • Twilight of the Dead

0 0%
  • Other (please list)

5 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me pick my next Zombie novel....

United States

Here is the skinny

If you want a classic good zombie novel get down the road. Its a good read. Same goes for its sequel. The Dead by Mark E Rogers is also good but if you don't like the unkillable zombies skip it. The rising is excellent if you want to skip the norm. Dead City is a little slow at times and hard to get into which sucked for me cause it takes place in my home town. Plague of the dead is collecting dust on my book shelf so i can't give you the thumbs up or down on it but i've heard good things. I didn't care too much for twilight of the dead although it does have neat little things to add to the genre. Alot of people dog it but I liked the reign of the dead series which falls under classic GAR type zombie adventures. The last one i can add to this list is monster island which i am almost done with, and it is great so far. Oh and sorry but thumbs down to eve of the dead
    "Are you asking me if I think you're pretty or if I'll f*** you? Cause you don't have to be pretty for me to f*** you"

Undisclosed
    Dang, has nobody read Wet Work by Philip Nutman? Back in the day we had something we called the zombie library where we traded books on this website and I put into circulation several copies of Wet Work, The Dead, NIght--Return--Dawn of the Dead, Book of the Dead and Still Dead Book II by Craig Spector, and others. It was a concept that worked well...for awhile and then people just decided to keep them instead of passing them on. Sad, but...oh well.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Miculus View Post
    Autumn was taken down by the author.

http://www.djmoody.co.uk/Autumn.htm

The site says "If you hunt hard enough around the Internet you'll probably be able to find a copy somewhere..."
    thank you

United States
    Almost done with the free version of Autumn now.

Never read Wetwork but the name has special significance to me so I am looking forward to it, can you give me a brief summary?

I just bought Day by Day Armageddon largely because it was in stock when I hit the bookstore.

I am NOT a fan of diary style writing but maybe it will be okay, I was told it was "traditional Romero zombies" with slight use of some runners. Meh.

Undisclosed
    Wet Work is essentially about a group of assassins/spec ops types in a zombie breakdown. Its not really a spoiler to say the lead character gets taken out and returns as thats the whole book. He is a thinking zombie out for revenge with assassins training. Interesting take.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Finished World War Z and I am in the need of something to read (finishing up The Road as we speak)

That having been said I know a lot of you are passionate readers, and we all dig zombies. You know me, and my taste very well by now but here is what I am looking for...

1) I prefer SLOW moving Romero zombies.
    2) I hate super zombies.
    3) Other monsters need not apply (i.e. no zombies vs vampires in a steel cage match to the death)
    you ever read a book called wet works. it's a zombie book, buttheir like smart zombies that try to take over the world. been a while since i read it. think that's how the plot goes.

United States
    interesting! Thanks guys.

I REALLY liked Autumn. I found that the zombies for the most part are very true to the Romero rules and that the characters are well fleshed out and developed. I was sucked in from the get go. While there was not a lot of "horror/shock/gore" There was MASSIVE amounts of tension, and when you did have those action moments thrown in they really counted for something.

I would strongly recommend it... plus hey it was a free read online.