Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christ, James Cameron is amazing!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I have the special edition of The Abyss, but don't recall anything about this.

So are they saying that there actually is a liquid that mammals can breathe? Or just that they killed a rat for the scene?
    From IMDB - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096754/trivia

Fluid breathing is a reality. Five rats were used for five different takes, all of whom survived and were given shots by a vet. The rat that actually appeared in the film died of natural causes a few weeks before the film opened. According to James Cameron, the scene with the rat had to be edited out of the UK movie version because "the Royal Veterinarian felt that it was painful for the rat". James Cameron repeatedly assures that the rats used for this take didn't suffer any harm.

Some other great Abyss trivia:-

Michael Biehn's character gets bitten on the arm by another character. This happens to him in every James Cameron movie he's in - see The Terminator (1984) and Aliens (1986).

James Cameron's brother, Mike Cameron, plays a dead crewman inside the sunken submarine. To accomplish this he had to hold his breath under 15 feet of water while also allowing a crab to crawl out of his mouth.

The sequence in which Catfish fires a submachine gun into the moon pool at a departing Lt. Coffey was filmed using live ammunition. The underwater camera was locked down and unmanned, and extreme safety precautions were in effect.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    James Cameron's brother, Mike Cameron, plays a dead crewman inside the sunken submarine. To accomplish this he had to hold his breath under 15 feet of water while also allowing a crab to crawl out of his mouth.
    Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez...I'd say eff that!

Kazakhstan
    Mike Cameron is well up for it, he helped Jimbo develop those exterior mounted submersible cameras they used in Titanic & Ghosts of the Abyss.

For an extra ten points, can anyone tell me who the only two actors to have been killed (or seriously injured at least) by an Alien, a Predator & a Terminator are?

It was only one until quite recently...
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    Mike Cameron is well up for it, he helped Jimbo develop those exterior mounted submersible cameras they used in Titanic & Ghosts of the Abyss.

For an extra ten points, can anyone tell me who the only two actors to have been killed (or seriously injured at least) by an Alien, a Predator & a Terminator are?

It was only one until quite recently...
    Easy. You must underestimate the geekness of some members of HPotD. Bill Paxton and Lance Henrickson.

Kazakhstan
    Yeah I should give you guys some credit really, I bet you know the weird thing about Garfield/Ghostbusters/Bill Murray. That's just a bizare bit of trivia
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Super Moderator

UK
    Yep, Bill Murray is Venkman in the movie, he also did the voice for Garfield in the CGI movies ... now, the voice of Garfield in the cartoon, a chap called Lorenzo Music, also did the voice of Venkman in the cartoon The Real Ghostbusters (at least for part anyway, I remember when I was a kid watching it, the voice artist changed at some point ... I'd look it up, but I'm British and therefore lazy ).

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yep, Bill Murray is Venkman in the movie, he also did the voice for Garfield in the CGI movies ... now, the voice of Garfield in the cartoon, a chap called Lorenzo Music, also did the voice of Venkman in the cartoon The Real Ghostbusters (at least for part anyway, I remember when I was a kid watching it, the voice artist changed at some point ... I'd look it up, but I'm British and therefore lazy ).
    You're right. After the second season Dave Coulier of "Full House" fame took over the role.