Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTF!?!?!? GI Joe?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Cobra Commander?

I don't know much about GI Joe, but Levitt is an awesome actor. One of my favorites, actually. At least there is some talent in there.

Also, they have Ray Park as Snake Eyes. Nothing like some Darth Maul(the only good thing in Episode 1).

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't know much about GI Joe, but Levitt is an awesome actor. One of my favorites, actually. At least there is some talent in there.
    Good actor or not, he's no Cobra Commander. Cobra was a grizzled older dude... who kinda sounded like an even more irate Gilbert Godfried.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    who kinda sounded like an even more irate Gilbert Godfried.
    Hehe, I would've never described it that way, but it's perfect!

Now there was a dude who graduated from the Starscream School of Exposition!
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 22-Jan-2009 at 01:38 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    This looks like another completely shallow, cynical piece of tripe, more plastic and manufactured than the product it is based on. The presence of Dennis Quaid is the only thing about this movie that interests me; it's good to see a hero of my 80s childhood (Inner Space FTW!) still getting work, even if it is in shite like this.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    This looks like another completely shallow, cynical piece of tripe
    Are you talking about most of the nay saying posts in this thread? No need to worry, that's just the internet acting up again

(j/k)

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So what exactly do you guys expect out of a GI Joe film? Ben Hur with Soldiers? Casablanca with Ninjas? It's a film based on friggin toys. It's like people complaining about Transformers. It's not meant to be some great work of art. Just a fun 90-120 minutes.

And Transformers was just that. Fun for a ride. Would I watch it over and over again like a classic? No. But would I watch a GI Joe film directed by the guy behind The Mummy and Van Hellsing at LEAST once or twice? Yeah.

And we haven't even see a trailer yet but there's already complaining. Gotta love the internet. Sheesh....

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    So what exactly do you guys expect out of a GI Joe film?
    I expect absolutely nothing good. Hence my complaint at this pointless movie. But what the hey... no one's gonna force me to watch it right?

It makes me sad that no one ever seems to make original, interesting movies anymore.

Super Moderator

United States
    Hey, man, I get it. I'm not saying the movie won't suck, just that I'm giving it a chance.

But watch your back when it comes to Hasbro! They don't let people get in their way when it comes to making a buck. Case in point, I used to love the old G.I. Joes, back in the day when men were men and boys played with dolls, but then Hasbro did away with them.

Do you know what the old, original, G.I. Joes would say about the movie based on their successors? Oddly, no one does. And the original Joes can't be found for comment...

Last edited by AcesandEights; 22-Jan-2009 at 04:46 PM.

England
    GI joe is an absolutely pants name though,the english version "action force" sounded better!

'ave some o' that!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    GI joe is an absolutely pants name though,the english version "action force" sounded better!
    Cool enough, though a bit generic. As it happens, 'Adventure Team' was the second incarnation of the original format (larger scale toy) G.I Joe team (done in the 1970s for marketing reasons), so the 'Action Force' name never struck me as apocryphal in the least, just a different spin.

Though the toy line will always be G.I. Joe to me, even that hokey 'Yo Joe' nonsense (ahhhh childhood).

I'll check out the vid when I get home, kind of intrigued.

England
    remember how they got away with "gore" by only having the cobra battle android troopers getting ripped in half with machine guns or crushed by tanks,none of the human characters ever got badly hurt!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So what exactly do you guys expect out of a GI Joe film?
    How about another awesome animated film, such as the one from the 80's?

Speaking of... anyone remember how great that opening tune was?! Crushing!!! I STILL listen to it on occasion. The COBRA parts are friggin brutal and I think a metal band could do it some serious justice.

Here it is... PLAY IT LOUD!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Speaking of... anyone remember how great that opening tune was?! Crushing!!! I STILL listen to it on occasion.
    Hell yeah, Mike! I happen t have picked up the series on DVD about two weeks back and have had the music stuck in my head more days than not since then. The instrumental arrangements on a lot of that music was actually pretty damn cool. I've been thinking of trying to get a copy of the music for general listening.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The music was...okay, I guess. Kinda cheap compared to the sheer awesomeness of the original Turtles and Real Ghostbusters.

I was never a fan of GI Joe though. Maybe I was just into cartoons at the wrong time or something, I dunno. I just always found GI Joe to be.....for a lack of a better word...gay.

United States
    The music was...okay, I guess. Kinda cheap compared to the sheer awesomeness of the original Turtles and Real Ghostbusters.

I was never a fan of GI Joe though. Maybe I was just into cartoons at the wrong time or something, I dunno. I just always found GI Joe to be.....for a lack of a better word...gay.
    You found G.I. Joe gay but you were into the Ninja Turtles? Bass. . .you are a paradox.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."