Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: diary and empty seats

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll be interested to see BO figures for Diary in the UK too. It won't crack a million, no way. BO figures from the UK are usually pretty low anyway unless it's like Pirates 3 or Spider-Man or Shrek, then it cracks double figures for the millions.

Diary will be a few hundred thousand probably...in which case, it might stand a chance of doing over a million DOLLARS...who knows...guess we'll see, it's only been out for 1 week though so far.

And surely white people can also come from ghettos, along with hispanics and all sorts of other peeps.

Undisclosed
    Seen Diary many times now in San Jose and on opening day it was basically and full house and a few days ago it was me and one other person who left about 1/4 of the way through it. Sadly i have seen many people leave during the movie but less is better for my viewing experience.
    GO SHARKS GO!

Australia
    I can't wait to see this - but I bet it won't be released in Australia - at least in the cinema. DVD will probably take months and months as usual. We always have to wait AGES.

PS:- I wonder why people would walk out of DiOTD? Too much gore? (Ahem it's a zombie film - what part of "Living Dead" don't you understand?), not interesting enough? What could it be?
    zombies
    eat flesh.

England
    I've read lots about people walking out and personally I didn't believe it. Now a forum member has confirmed it it must be happening. The only reason I can think of people walking out is that the movie is not flash/bang/car chase/nudity every 5 mins. Its quite a slow burner and if your attention span is very small, I can see that some people would get bored. I loved it personally.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    It opened here in SLC on the 14'th, in ONE theater. There was no promotion what so ever. I went to see Doomsday friday, and on saturday while reading the paper, I saw that Diary was playing at the single theater and my blood began to boil.

I wasted my movie night on the bastard child of Escape from New York & the Road Warrior when I could have seen Diary instead.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    If empty theaters are the unit of measurement by which motion pictures bomb at the box office, then the last successful film I saw with a packed-house must have been Independence Day (1996). It's been a good 10-11 years since I've sat in a U.S. multiplex that wasn't at less than half capacity.

So what you're saying is this situation is entirely the fault of black people?
    No, No, No......not allowed, you're making politically incorrect assertions, Dubious!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

And surely white people can also come from ghettos, along with hispanics and all sorts of other peeps.

yes they can MZ around here we call it Hamilton, Ohio - the white trash capital of planet earth.

back on topic:

i am going to see diary in about 4 hours or so in Newport, Kentucky. i am picking up at least one of my friends to go along and he said he was going to try and round up a few more of our friends to go. so i'll let y'all know if we were the only ones there or if anyone walked out later on.
    Last edited by Mike70; 16-Mar-2008 at 02:31 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieGrrL View Post
    I can't wait to see this - but I bet it won't be released in Australia - at least in the cinema. DVD will probably take months and months as usual. We always have to wait AGES.

PS:- I wonder why people would walk out of DiOTD? Too much gore? (Ahem it's a zombie film - what part of "Living Dead" don't you understand?), not interesting enough? What could it be?
    Without decent advertising, I would think only true fans would have found out about it in the first place. Who the hell is walking out?

Undisclosed
    I wonder why people would walk out of DiOTD?
    It just depends, I have never walked out of a movie, even if its a terrible movie, but some people do. Some people have no problem seeing a movie while waiting for someone so they could just leave half way because they knew they would have to, maybe they had somewhere else to be. Maybe they hated it? People are crazy. I have seen people walk out of movies in a packed house for the summer blockbuster, like Transformers (although I could see motion sickness with some of the really fast fights).

Not sure how anyone could hope the movie would have done that well in theaters, even if it has already made the budget back, with 0 advertising except a myspace page and possible a random online add. Most people don't know it even exists. I have many friends who love zombie movies but don't necissarily pay attention to everything that goes on with these movies and what is coming. They knew nothing about it when we talked about movies a while back. There is adecent number of people who like these movies, who would love to see it but know nothing about it or the release is to far off. I dont think the movie would ever pull in 100 million (that is reserved for more of a moviethat attracts more age groups), but I think even with a 100 theatre or so release the movie would have made a decent chunk more.

Super Moderator

UK
    When I went to see it there were 3 other people there, one walked out.

When I went to see Land, 3 people walked out.

It's not just Romero fans who might watch this. People who didn't get into something else might go see it (that happened to those 3 who walked out of Land quite blatantly, not getting in to see Revolver, which opened the day before) and Diary, well, perhaps some people have seen everything they'd want to, so figure "meh, I'll try this out" and then not like it...

Or they might be a Romero fan, but not like his new stuff and then walk out.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Who the hell is walking out?
    On opening weekend I saw this two nights in a row, and both nights I noticed people walking out on this film. On both nights, these folks walked out after the scenes in the hospital, and one couple took off right after the Day tribute in the hospital (without spoiling it, I am sure those of you who saw this know what I mean) It was a guy and a girl, presumably on a date, and the girl looked like she was about to blow chunks.

On the second night of my viewing, I had to head to the restroom during the film (too much coffee waiting in line!) and overheard a girl as she was apologizing to her companion for not being able to handle the gore.

Having seen DAY in the theater, I recall similar situations where folks fled due to the graphic gore onscreen. My assumption at this point is that the same issue is behind people bailing on DIARY. Let's face it, folks today go to horror films expecting nothing more shocking than the watered down PG13 tripe they saw on The Ring or Sixth Sense so when they are in the presence of high-octane old school GAR gore their tweeny minds short circut causing them to run gagging and whimpering into the night.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    When I went, there were about 20-30 people in the theater. I was pretty shocked. I expected me n' the missus to be the ONLY ones there. Granted, this was Sat. night opening weekend (in my town).

One thing that I was disappointed about was that I couldn't judge the audience reaction (good or bad). I was kind of interested, but everyone was so quiet as they filed out I couldn't overhear their thoughts on it.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Let's face it, folks today go to horror films expecting nothing more shocking than the watered down PG13 tripe they saw on The Ring or Sixth Sense so when they are in the presence of high-octane old school GAR gore their tweeny minds short circut causing them to run gagging and whimpering into the night.
    Too true brother. Too true
    On reflection yes, the Day tribute may well have been too much for todays generation.
    Pussies
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    No, No, No......not allowed, you're making politically incorrect assertions, Dubious!
    With apologies to everyone for the tangent to follow:

I think that you may have misunderstood Dubious' point, which seemed to me about the "ghetto" comment.

I do know that the term 'ghetto" in and of itself is not racially charged per se, and is more about economic status than racial.

The term Ghetto itself has been used to define Jewish settlements for example, so there is some usage that predates current usage.

So certainly the use of the term "Ghetto" is not necessarily meant to refer to African Americans, however in some big cities (such as Los Angeles where I come from) it often becomes synonymous -- rightly or wrongly -- with low income African American neighborhoods, much like the term "barrio" refers to low income Latino Neighborhoods when in fact it is really just slang for neighborhood. I suspect a lot of this association between the word "Ghetto" and "African American" is due to hip-hop culture's use of the word, though there are indications (such as Elvis' "In The Ghetto" song, references to it by Langston Hughes, etc.) which point to it being used in the way previously.

But if you think about it, with the term "Ghetto Whores" there is a symantic nuance -- in as much as if I had said "Barrio Whores" --- that is implied there that would not exist if I said "Low Income Whores" So I can understand how a term like that may lead people to believe that there might be a racial component to the usage even if none was intended, which I am certain was not the intent with the usage.

Apologies again for my digression!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 16-Mar-2008 at 11:59 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    With apologies to everyone for the tangent to follow:

I think that you may have misunderstood Dubious' point, which seemed to me about the "ghetto" comment.

I do know that the term 'ghetto" in and of itself is not racially charged per se, and is more about economic status than racial.

The term Ghetto itself has been used to define Jewish settlements for example, so there is some usage that predates current usage.

So certainly the use of the term "Ghetto" is not necessarily meant to refer to African Americans, however in some big cities (such as Los Angeles where I come from) it often becomes synonymous -- rightly or wrongly -- with low income African American neighborhoods, much like the term "barrio" refers to low income Latino Neighborhoods when in fact it is really just slang for neighborhood. I suspect a lot of this association between the word "Ghetto" and "African American" is due to hip-hop culture's use of the word, though there are indications (such as Elvis' "In The Ghetto" song, references to it by Langston Hughes, etc.) which point to it being used in the way previously.

But if you think about it, with the term "Ghetto Whores" there is a symantic nuance -- in as much as if I had said "Barrio Whores" --- that is implied there that would not exist if I said "Low Income Whores" So I can understand how a term like that may lead people to believe that there might be a racial component to the usage even if none was intended, which I am certain was not the intent with the usage.

Apologies again for my digression!

Dr. YoJimbo, a ghetto whore is a ghetto whore no matter what color they are. Some people are just too sensitive about words they think are aimed at one particular group.