Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it time to find a resolution to the series?

England
    And then we start killing each other for a beer or a girl.

I believe in the bad in the man will shine through.
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

Undisclosed

End it.

I agree with most of you that the series should end. I also think George wouldn't have to give an explanation as to why it started or why it is happening, but maybe try and focus on something or tangents that could be. Offer a religious explanation, offer a scientific one, offer a human or extraterrestrial reason, but you don't have to pick one over the other. Just put it out there and let the audience decide. I also really liked the idea of George NOT explaining why, but I do like it when he offers up some possible explanations without picking one for sure.

Then, have EVERYONE in the world die, or have stop having dead people waking up and end the series on a a good note.
    "Totally Togepi!"

United States
    Part of the horror was in not knowing what caused the dead to rise and eat the living. If you don't understand a situation, you have no hope of combating it effectively. The "origins" of the zombies should never be explicitly revealed.

Should Romero wrap up the series? I dunno. I want to say yes and I want to say no. Maybe he should, just to move onto other things and give us all more to bitch about. I don't even know if I would like a "happy" or "depressing" ending to it all or not. A "happy ending" may seem to out of place or forced.

It would be cool to see someone from one of the other films agian. Nice to know that someone survived for certain!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No....I wouldn't really want resolution to the problem.

And imo, the films aren't connected so technically there's been an ending with all of them. Some good for the characters, some not so good. Night really being the only one hinting at the problem coming to a close.

Dead

Undisclosed
    No, I don't agree with an explanation as to why the dead walk. Not knowing only added to each story. Since we've never agreed on whether or not the movies are connected in the same universe, a single concluding movie would not cover all the bases. I just want to see one more good movie about the living dead from GAR. Something like he used to make, more on par with Day and Dawn, with a social commentary that's not so loud.

Undisclosed
    The "series" will end exactly the way it should: when the old guy is no longer able to direct movies because he has passed on. Until then, as long as he has something to say, I'll be happy to watch. And if you're not happy to watch, then don't.

Twitching

United States
    I'll weigh in,
    A previous poster mentioned something about the not knowing why the dead are rising adds to the horror, because not understanding a situation means you don't have a chance of effectively combating it.

I agree with the first part. The not knowing/have no definitive explanation between the various possibilities adds to the creep factor IMO. I think that's a separate issue from combating the zombie plague though. One doesn't need to understand why the dead rise to grasp the method of what's going on, and then reasoning out a way to respond effectively.

I'm of the opinion that when threatened with *imminent* extinction that man can/may find the will to take whatever drastic steps are called for to end the threat. I've never been able to believe in an extinction scenario brought on by the living dead. Utter desolation sure, but man has adapted to some pretty hellish extremes in his time on Earth. To wipe him out completely I think you need a situation that deprives all his members of the basics required for survival. Food, water, shelter, means of defense etc.

Now whether or not any of us in the comfy first world could do anything but vomit upon seeing the world left in the wake of a war with the living dead is another matter.

As someone else said, I'm getting a little tired myself of the lack of quality survival horror that depicts an intelligent and effective response to the threat. Just look at many Holocaust survivors. Many of them remained cautious, careful and thoughtful with their safety for the rest of their lives. I think a mankind facing such an imminent threat *every day* has the potential to become a lot more vigilant and determined to survive than we give ourselves credit for.

We're still the same creature that burned Australia to the ground to destroy the giant river lizards. Still the same animal that competed with the smilodon and the cave bear for dominance. We've survived multiple Ice Ages. Maybe all that's buried under a layer of flabby avarice and sensation-seeking, but its still there.

Just my opinion..

I'll weigh in,
    A previous poster mentioned something about the not knowing why the dead are rising adds to the horror, because not understanding a situation means you don't have a chance of effectively combating it.

I agree with the first part. The not knowing/have no definitive explanation between the various possibilities adds to the creep factor IMO. I think that's a separate issue from combating the zombie plague though. One doesn't need to understand why the dead rise to grasp the method of what's going on, and then reasoning out a way to respond effectively.

I'm of the opinion that when threatened with *imminent* extinction that man can/may find the will to take whatever drastic steps are called for to end the threat. I've never been able to believe in an extinction scenario brought on by the living dead. Utter desolation sure, but man has adapted to some pretty hellish extremes in his time on Earth. To wipe him out completely I think you need a situation that deprives all his members of the basics required for survival. Food, water, shelter, means of defense etc.

Now whether or not any of us in the comfy first world could do anything but vomit upon seeing the world left in the wake of a war with the living dead is another matter.

As someone else said, I'm getting a little tired myself of the lack of quality survival horror that depicts an intelligent and effective response to the threat. Just look at many Holocaust survivors. Many of them remained cautious, careful and thoughtful with their safety for the rest of their lives. I think a mankind facing such an imminent threat *every day* has the potential to become a lot more vigilant and determined to survive than we give ourselves credit for.

We're still the same creature that burned Australia to the ground to destroy the giant river lizards. Still the same animal that competed with the smilodon and the cave bear for dominance. We've survived multiple Ice Ages. Maybe all that's buried under a layer of flabby avarice and sensation-seeking, but its still there.

Just my opinion..
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 30-Jun-2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    The explanation Romero threw out there in NotLD – mutation resulting from space born radiation – is enough for me. I don’t need anything more because I’m not looking for a conclusion. Personally, I enjoy the stories of how people cope when confronted with the nightmare situation of the dead rising. That’s why I enjoy Night and Dawn so much, and Diary too, which IMO is better than both Day and Land.