Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gymnastics rip off

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    All the girls from the Chinese gymnastics team look like their 12 years old.
    Let me fix that for you...

All the girls from the Chinese gymnastics team ARE 12 years old.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Personally, I wonder why they bother with the age limits. If a 12-year-old girl is the best in the world at some sport, give her the gold medal. The Chinese gymnastics program basically takes kids showing promise away from their parents when they're barely out of diapers and raises then on nothing but gymnastics. It's not like the age limit allows these girls to spend their preteen years going to the mall and playing with My Little Pony instead of slaving away in the gym whenever they're not eating or sleeping.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Personally, I wonder why they bother with the age limits. If a 12-year-old girl is the best in the world at some sport, give her the gold medal.
    Unless Their age provides some sort of advantage over the rest of the field I don't see a problem either.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Unless Their age provides some sort of advantage over the rest of the field I don't see a problem either.
    I don't think that's a problem either. Of course age is a factor in athletic ability. In most Olympic sports the few athletes in their thirties and forties have a physical disadvantage against competitors in their teens and twenties. If for some reason 12-year-olds have some advantage over teenagers in gymnastics, I don't see why that's any different from the advantage teens have over the middle-aged. Why not ban anyone under 45 to level the playing field a little for senior citizens?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I don't think that's a problem either. Of course age is a factor in athletic ability. In most Olympic sports the few athletes in their thirties and forties have a physical disadvantage against competitors in their teens and twenties. If for some reason 12-year-olds have some advantage over teenagers in gymnastics, I don't see why that's any different from the advantage teens have over the middle-aged. Why not ban anyone under 45 to level the playing field a little for senior citizens?
    Well, i was thinking more along the lines of it actually causing such a disparity as to liken it to playing an entirely different sport. ( not in the same ballpark so to speak ).

There are many sports, baseball is a good example, where you might have a 20 Year old phenom going against someone in their 40's and it really doesn't affect the playing field that much. Now, if 20 years isn't a disparity that that ruins the game then it has to se something more substantial than age.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Ace, you are a little off in your assessment.

The Chinese girl and Liukin had tie scores, had the same degree of difficulty and the same execution score.

This is how the tie breaker worked. They removed to two lowest scores from each, still tied. Removed the next lowest scores from each, still tied. Removed again and the scores are as follows...

Chinese girl - 9.1, 9.1, 9.0
    Liukin - 9.0, 9.1, 9.0

China wins by a tenth of a point. Pretty damn fair if you ask me.

If there is any misjustice to this, the original score given to Liukin was too low and you can pretty much blame that on the Australian judge who gave Liukin an 8.7. You heard that right, Australia, not China is to blame.

in the event of a tie, ur supposed to give double golds

United States
    They haven't awarded dual gold medals in a few Olympiads. That got phased out a long time ago.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    I am amazed at the amount of cry babying when China wins among Americans... ya know maybe they just out performed us. Christ, suck it up and get over it and hope for better net time.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Let me fix that for you...

All the girls from the Chinese gymnastics team ARE 12 years old.

Thank you for fixing that for me.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Khardis View Post
    ya know maybe they just out performed us.
    Or maybe they didn't, and won anyway. That's what the topic happens to be about.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Or maybe they didn't, and won anyway. That's what the topic happens to be about.
    oh boohooo they beat us and we were better its obviously a racist conspiracy against us!

United States
    oh boohooo they beat us and we were better its obviously a racist conspiracy against us!
    Andrade thoroughly beat the hell out of Kim; yet, "oh, he loses on points". That's not "they beat us". That's "someone got screwed". Nobody with a brain would say that Andrade was beaten.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Nobody said anything about racism. I doubt anyone believes the judges just prefer Asians to Caucasians. It does seem plausible, however, that a judge or two here and there is willing to put a thumb on the scale in favor of the host nation.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...v=ap&type=lgns

ok so basically what they're saying is after all the votes were counted and scores tallied,that liukin from the USA and He from china were still tied.

you know what they did next?

went throught about three tiebreaker scenarios and guess what? still tied!!

so for the fourth one...... they counted all of their deductions.....liukin had more ( didnt see that coming cuz china doesn't cheat,right?)

and they also counted the fact another china competitor got the bronze medal. so what they're saying is that your routine and competition means nothing and they basically htrew the scores out of the window because someone marked scores wrong in favor of china.

i say for all english speaking contries from now on that hold the olympics, we basically screw china when it comes to all events. theres a welterweight boxer who dominated all rounds with a chinese boxer except the last one where he just danced around to avoid letting the guy get any points on him LOST THE MATCH. thats like knocking down mike tyson twice a round for 12 rounds and losing to him by decision.

this seem familiar to anyone? well it should. roy jones was denied a medal by south korean judges in the 80's who blantantly cheated for the south korean who even went over after the fight and raised jones' hand knowing he lost.

london 2012, lets give the chinese something to complain about.

and its called the "olympic games" right? then why are u judged and not given the medals based on doing better than your competition? one clear example is gymnastics where theres scores, as well as boxing.

ok, my rant is done. but we're getting screwed over there.
    Dude, it's the olympics. Who cares? It's not like it's the World Series or Super Bowl. If the rest of the world wants to call Badmitton a sport, let 'em have it. Meanwhile, Americans will continue playing real sports. Half that Olympic stuff is lame anyway.

EDIT: Kind of off the subject, but I watched a little of the opening ceremonies last week, and I couldn't even make it through the first ten minutes without vomiting a little bit. Here is a host country preaching to me about harmony and peace and unity, when a few years back they were running over college kids with tanks. If I wanted to get preached at, i'd get up early on Sunday and go to church with the family.
    Last edited by Dillinger; 21-Aug-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Undisclosed
    Nastia went home to show off her medals to her sisters Fuglia and Skankia.

Really, who names there kid Nastia??