Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dear God! Batman looks terrible (now)...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    The animated series was AWESOME. I loved it. Proper violent. Mark Hamil made an amusing Joker for sure.

Love Superman: Doomsday too - awesome cartoon movie!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Love Superman: Doomsday too - awesome cartoon movie!

That was a great movie.

Super Moderator

UK
    MZ - How do you think the penguin in BR is like the comic character? He is NOTHING like the character. In BR he is a sewer-living, goo-spitting, ACTUALLY cold blooded(WTF?), version of one of Burton's cartoon characters or something. Nothing like any of the comic versions of the character...
    Was too lazy to explain properly I guess, what I was meaning was comic as in SILLY, unrealistic, daft...that sorta thing, and yet the Penguin was the most compelling part of Returns.

I don't agree with liam on the production design front though, they're two very different styles, but in Begins they had ginormous sets, whole streets laid out with a far larger scale than in 89. The Tumbler too - a feat of engineering in itself. The new Batman outfit, far more tough-looking than before - it looks like it can take some sh*t and protect Wayne throughout, plus the cape really works in the Nolanverse.

Before the cape just looked like a leather cape to swish about a bit. There's a great sense of form following function in the Nolan flicks, which I think works far better for the franchise, but that's me anyway.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I don't agree with liam on the production design front though, they're two very different styles, but in Begins they had ginormous sets, whole streets laid out with a far larger scale than in 89.

I think Batman had a larger set. They built many different streets and portions of the city at some large studio over on your side of the pond.

But with Begins, they only built the narrows. Most of the exteriors were shot on location in Chicago, Illinois.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I saw returns in the cinema when I was about 10....
    hated it then...hate it now!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I think Batman had a larger set. They built many different streets and portions of the city at some large studio over on your side of the pond.

But with Begins, they only built the narrows. Most of the exteriors were shot on location in Chicago, Illinois.
    You sure, I remember watching the extras for Begins and they kept going on about the size of their sets, using these massive air hangers to house all this stuff ... and indeed - in Britain, BOSHTY!

Dead

Undisclosed
    As I recall, the sets built in the hanger were just for the Narrows, Ra's place in the beginning, and two other locations. The exterior shots were largely done in Chicago and the Wayne mansion was filmed in the UK as well.

Super Moderator

UK
    What about the massive street with the train bridge and all that? I'm gonna have to dig out the DVD now and see exactly what they built on stage.

Wasn't Batman 89's set basically three main streets and some alley stuff, plus the Bat-cave.

Also - Begins had a set for the Bat-cave, filled with water, great big carvings for the walls and all that.

That's it...I'm getting the DVD out and seeing exactly what they built on sets.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As zombie04 pointed out, they built the narrows, a portion of the monorail, and other sets on stage but the rest was filmed in Chicago.

Now TDK on the other hand was filmed MOSTLY in Chicago it seems...

Super Moderator

UK
    As zombie04 pointed out, they built the narrows, a portion of the monorail, and other sets on stage but the rest was filmed in Chicago.

Now TDK on the other hand was filmed MOSTLY in Chicago it seems...
    Yeah, but which had the bigger sets ultimately, Batman 89 or Batman Begins?

God I feel like such a nerd right now.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, but which had the bigger sets ultimately, Batman 89 or Batman Begins?

God I feel like such a nerd right now.
    Obviously we can't really tell, but judging by the special features on the dvd, Burton's Gotham seemed like a HUGE set.

Super Moderator

UK
    Obviously we can't really tell, but judging by the special features on the dvd, Burton's Gotham seemed like a HUGE set.
    Yeah, I mean they looked pretty big and all, but I always got the impression from the Batman Begins DVD that their sets and housing for the sets were gigantic...hmmm.

*continues to be an absolute nerd*

Norway
    I like the bat suit better in Tim Burtouns film, but other than that I think that only Tim Bourton could do what he did when he made the Batman movie. Withouth him there would have been no Batman begins.

Canada
    Burton's Batman and BR was perfect for the 90's. It was a fun comic book romp,
    as for the New Batman, it is perfect for these times. A dark, serious movie that
    is both awesome and eye opening, Burton's films were dark and funny, kind of like
    watching a comic book come to life.
    I enjoy both series
    With the exception of Batman Forever and Batman and Robin,
    those were just goofs
    Last edited by RustyHicks; 30-Aug-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Dang typo

United States
    I f**king hate Tim Burton.
    Thank you. I was feeling a bit guilty thinking that I was the only one who does not really like Burton. Not that he has not done some passable work, just annoyed with him is all.

Feel the same way about Terry Gilliam as well.

I'd go for Williams over Elfman any day...

And Goldsmith over Williams, and Bernard Herman over Goldsmith.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 30-Aug-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."