Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: where would you go?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The other day at work I had to run to the Home Depot and realized it would be perfect refuge. All you'd have to bring was a good supply of food. There is so much material there to re-enforce everything you'd need... plus generators and what-not, although I do believe it has its own generation station somewhere.

Undisclosed
    I got to thinking about it and I would be screwed no matter what. I have nuclear reactors all around me. Meltdown ! What the hell if I could get in I would go ahead and start finding out what the buttons and levers do in the control room.

If you are going down take everyone else with you.

United States
    Probably take my supplies and immediate family and close friends I can get to and head on off to California's farm country. There's alot of open farmland and farmsteads pretty far apart. A family friend owns a large farm estate and already has a cobblestone fence around the main property. With population kept to just the farmers and their families and small towns tens to hundreds of miles away then the number of zombies wandering in would be manageable. Probably give people time in the area to organize and fortify.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Undisclosed
    I would hold up in a theater. There is alot of space and the booth has no windows and a roof hatch exit in case of a bind
    I've selected a knit stocking cap, black and gold, with a Steeler emblem on the side. Is it okay if I put some spaghetti sauce on it? - George A. Romero

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by creepntom
    brought on by the home survival thread,

where would you go? where would you seek refuge? would you seek out a mall?

if this has been done, or needs to be merged, sorry

i'll give my answer after i see how some of you guys & gals respond

What is the parameters of this scenario? Is this based on a slow and steady spread of the disease or a rapid spread of infection?

I'm guessing if it was a fast one I wouldn't be very prepared. Who would see it coming or believe it wasn't a hoax?

I work a four on, three off afternoon-evening shift so most likely I'd be stuck on the job wondering how to get home and get the family together. We'd more than likely have issues with panicked people attempting to loot firearms and ammunition, and/or assuming our indoor firing range would be a great place to hide-out.

I'd like to think it would be possible to gather the family together, stock up on arms and supplies and head out into the desert. I recall seeing various Wal-Marts and warehouse stores out in nowhere while on a road trip. It would literally be a stretch of highway with nothing in sight and out of nowhere a Wal-Mart will be sitting off to the side of the road in the middle of the dirt and brush. I have to admit those were some of the nicest and cleanest Wal-Marts I've shopped at.

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by creepntom
    brought on by the home survival thread,

where would you go? where would you seek refuge? would you seek out a mall?

if this has been done, or needs to be merged, sorry

i'll give my answer after i see how some of you guys & gals respond
    That's an easy one. Fort Sumner, South Carolina.

Fortified islands are the only places to be.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Gun shop > Warehouse

First thing i'd do is hit up the local gunshop. Grab as much guns and ammo that is physically possible. Then to a warehouse with thick concrete walls and heavy Steel doors, probably a building such as a Costco with plenty of food, and everyday necessities. Reinforce the building as strong as needed. Many have some sort of autoshop where i can sevice and maybe even build a vehicle similar to Dead Reckoning, incase i needed to flee to another building or place. Kill as many stenches as possible.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberOneGARFan
    First thing i'd do is hit up the local gunshop. Grab as much guns and ammo that is physically possible. Then to a warehouse with thick concrete walls and heavy Steel doors, probably a building such as a Costco with plenty of food, and everyday necessities. Reinforce the building as strong as needed. Many have some sort of autoshop where i can sevice and maybe even build a vehicle similar to Dead Reckoning, incase i needed to flee to another building or place. Kill as many stenches as possible.

Since this is a "What If?" type scenario the plan sounds pretty good. In reality the least we would do before we took off from work is to take take whatever firearms, ammunition, and miscellaneous items for our personal use, lock down all the remaining firearms in the safes, and lock up the building before we left. We wouldn't be handing out any firearms to whomever decided to hit our range while we're there and if anyone decided to push the issue it would really suck to be them. The most people would be able to loot would be the ammunition which does little good without the guns to use them in.

If you don't possess a firearm before an outbreak then it would be tough to obtain one until everyone dies out and scavenge one later.

Taking possession of a Sams Club, Costco, Wal-Mart, or Home Depot sounds great, but I'm not sure how I would deal with the other survivors who may have the same idea of staking claim to one of these warehouses. The idea is great if one has enough people and guns to make a claim on a Costco stick.

I'm not trying to be contrary but we were bored at work one day after watching Dawn of the Dead and we bs'd about what we would do in that situation, and the conclusion was.... we'd probably get eaten.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Newcastle Upon Tyne = Zombie Buffet!

I would head there anyway because of the only gun store in the region called Bagnall and Kirkwood. Think about it: Beretta Handguns and Shotguns, bows, arrows, Quivers, Sights, Ammo, it would work! This is what I mean!

Plus, there is an old Fire Station that has thick heavy door and an old Fire Engine... Perfect for Ram-Raid shopping sprees. Yeah.... it would work...
    Last edited by Cykotic; 10-May-2006 at 09:35 AM.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler
    Since this is a "What If?" type scenario the plan sounds pretty good. In reality the least we would do before we took off from work is to take take whatever firearms, ammunition, and miscellaneous items for our personal use, lock down all the remaining firearms in the safes, and lock up the building before we left. We wouldn't be handing out any firearms to whomever decided to hit our range while we're there and if anyone decided to push the issue it would really suck to be them. The most people would be able to loot would be the ammunition which does little good without the guns to use them in.

If you don't possess a firearm before an outbreak then it would be tough to obtain one until everyone dies out and scavenge one later.

Taking possession of a Sams Club, Costco, Wal-Mart, or Home Depot sounds great, but I'm not sure how I would deal with the other survivors who may have the same idea of staking claim to one of these warehouses. The idea is great if one has enough people and guns to make a claim on a Costco stick.

I'm not trying to be contrary but we were bored at work one day after watching Dawn of the Dead and we bs'd about what we would do in that situation, and the conclusion was.... we'd probably get eaten.
    If you were resourceful and determined enough, you wouldn't let a little thing like a lock keep you from obtaining what ever you need. There are tools such as plasma cutters that cut through most metals very quickly. Even a shotgun might do. I also have exsisting firearms to get me close enough to obtain as many additional firearms as possible. The more the better.
    Then the only problem would be to deal with those other pesky people that want to get to a stocked, safe place like the warehouse i have planned. "If" the situation were to occur. Location disclosed.
    I would be the last person to get eaten because of all the other people that would have been less prepared.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    After a brief period of ****ing my pants, I would probably lock the doors to my house. Then I would gather as much food and supplies as possible and move them upstairs. Then I would take a sledge hammer with me and break out the stairs so that there's no other way up.

That way way the dead can't get to me, and I can still escape out of a window if needed.

Of course this only applies to Romero's style of zombies. It wouldn't work with the zombies from Dawn04. They would probably pole-vault up to the top or some crazy crap like that...
    Last edited by bassman; 10-May-2006 at 02:02 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    but what about stuff youd grab?, id grab a suit of police riot armour from my uncles house, hes a cop by the way, and a riot shield and grab a katana, cheesy i know but this combined with an a-team style van would be good enough for me.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I would take the advice given in "Shaun" and get a blunt object like a bat or something. Don't need ammo for that...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    which leads bakc to a sword, take it from a british dude, theres no way a cricket bat could take that many blows beofr snapping off the handle.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Hellsing has a point. Cricket bats can be very sturdy, but if you hit a hard object like a skull over and over again, the bat is gonna break. I would use a baseball bat with a few nails through it, classic!