• UK

8 44.44%
  • USA

10 55.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock 'n' Roll, UK or USA?

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    as for my two fav forms of music: american punk crushes british punk and it's no contest. i find british punk (aside from the clash) to be ridiculous, unmelodic and angry in a way that leaves me bored. american punk - the ramones, the misfits, circle jerks, 7 seconds, the minutemen, bad religion, etc. are much more fun.

now mike settles back and waits for the shitstorm to begin.
    My contraversial view is that The Clash aren't punk anyway.

Plus, how can you like punk but not like the Sex Pistols? If I were a monkey, I'd throw poo at you.

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    The punk movement in Britain never really started until the Ramones toured there. Come on now!! New York Dolls were the band to finally kick off the punk movement. . although they were a little glam. . .they were the granddaddies of the New York punk scene. Which predates the Uk's scene by a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    The UK defined punk as an ethic & aesthetic - safety pins, spiky hair & politicised lyrics were the UK scene's innovation.
    Quoted from Wikipedia:

The earliest form of punk, retroactively named protopunk, arose from garage rock in the northeastern United States in the early-to-mid-1970s. The first ongoing music scene that was assigned the punk label appeared in New York City between 1974 and 1976. Around that same time, a punk scene developed in London. Soon after, Los Angeles became home to the third major punk scene. These three cities formed the backbone of the burgeoning movement, but there were also other scenes in cities such as Brisbane, and Boston.

I found it on the internet so it must be true!

HC centric.
    What does HC stand for?
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    USA, though there's great music to be found today in both of you look hard enough.

I've had it with punk. It's all I used to listen to in high school before I realized how simple it is. Repetitive three-chord songs over and over are fun for a little while, then they just become grating.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    USA, though there's great music to be found today in both of you look hard enough.

I've had it with punk. It's all I used to listen to in high school before I realized how simple it is. Repetitive three-chord songs over and over are fun for a little while, then they just become grating.
    I was starting to think that I was the only one on HPOTD that didn't like punk. I can see why people like it and I used to, but it does get very old with time. And now that it's been years since I listened to it....I can't stand it. It's more like random noise than music, imo. Not to mention that 90% of punk singers sound like a drowning cat on mescaline.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    My contraversial view is that The Clash aren't punk anyway.

Plus, how can you like punk but not like the Sex Pistols? If I were a monkey, I'd throw poo at you.
    the clash from "london calliing" on were probably more post-punk, in my view at least.

i find the sex pistols very much akin to spinal tap. i find them ridiculous and they make me laugh but i cannot take them seriously.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Why has no one mentioned Japan? - Noodle
    Gotta say US. - Big Fat Russel
    UK, okay? - 2D
    Err... Sabbath is the greatest band ever. Satan told me to say that, but I stand by it nonetheless. - Murdoc
    dooooood,those guys aint real,they're cartoon characters

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    This kid has been keeping this game up ever since he wondered onto HPotD's doormat.

It's a mad house. A MAD HOUSE!

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    the clash from "london calliing" on were probably more post-punk, in my view at least.
    Aye good point, that's pretty much what it is
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It's a mad house. A MAD HOUSE!
    oh, that got a round of out loud yuck yucks out of me for sure. if that wasn't so large, that'd be going in my signature.

United States
    Never mind the Ramones, it was The Stooges, MC5, Patti Smith et al that started Punk as a musical force, & The Ramones that polished & defined it.
    How could I have forgotten to mention the Stooges and Patty Smith?!?!? 30 lashes for me. . no complaints. Mc5. .meh. . they had the attitude. . but not really the sound.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    and mildly annoying, too.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Hey, humor me. I'm delusional... aren't we all, though? When you think about it, we create this world around ourselves out of our perceived notions of success, security, and what we consider "normal" when it is our very senses that lie to us. Believe what you like, and I'll believe what I like. You say the world is overrun with the undead, I'll say all cartoons (yes, all) are real. Makes as much sense as anything else, right?
    Anyhow, The Clash only sounded punk on their first album (eponymous). after that, it was more post-punk, ska stuff. Who did "pass the dutchie?"

Super Moderator

United States
    Shine on, Blind2d. Don't let the haters grind you down.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Who did "pass the dutchie?"
    Musical youth

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    What What What?!?!?

The punk movement in Britain never really started until the Ramones toured there. Come on now!! New York Dolls were the band to finally kick off the punk movement. . although they were a little glam. . .they were the granddaddies of the New York punk scene. Which predates the Uk's scene by a bit.

And to answer the question. . .while a lot of my favorite bands are British. All of my very favorite are American. . .so U.S.
    ok. i might be way into punk and metal but i strongly feel that punk is directly descended from arguably the greatest rock musician of all time - buddy holly. lots of his songs are fast as hell (esp. for the time) and rarely exceed 2 and a half minutes in length. add to that the fact that much american punk sounds like buddy holly played even faster and that an assload of american punk bands sight him as a big influence.

i might be the only person whose itunes goes right from buddy holly to candlemass.
    Last edited by Mike70; 03-Feb-2009 at 03:58 AM.

United States
    Well very true. . but that is like saying that Rock was influenced by the Blues. . . of course it was. . but it has moved on since then.