Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WATCHMEN - MZ's epic rant about said movie...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Mz's Journal
    March 18, 2009

Old lolcat post in forum this morning, little kitten smiling sadly saying "Can I haz cheezbrgr?". This forum is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The threads are extended gutters and the gutters are full of internet memes and when the drains finally scab over, lulz will be had. The accumulated filth of all their dick and fart jokes will foam up about their waists and all the whores and fans of Yawn 04 will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

They had a choice, all of them. They could have been fans of good movies. Movies made by decent men who believed in making original films. Instead they followed the droppings of lechers and communists and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late. Don't tell me they didn't have a choice. Now the whole entertainment industry stands on the brink, staring down into bloody Hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and Mtv generation teenagers... and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything new to film.
    Read a joke on forum once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says movies nowadays are all utter gash and remakes. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Great, visual masterpiece, called “300”, by new visionary director, Zack Snyder, is out in theaters now. Go and see it. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Zack Snyder!" Doctor says “By the way, you have stomach cancer.” Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.
    AHAHAHAHA!!!!! That is AWESOME!!! You just made Rorschach smile...

Super Moderator

UK
    Here's a very interesting 15 minute long review of Watchmen, by BBC film reviewer Mark Kermode (superb critic, by the way):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/entert...s/watchmen.ram

(Open with Real Media Player)

Lots of interesting ideas and comments. I'll say it again - this dude should be presenting Film 2009, not bleedin' Jonathon Ross.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    I've seen the movie and I must say it's a masterpiece. I've never seen so much genitalia and action all at once. xD It was one misconception after another, I guess only smart people can watch a movie like this, since everyone thinks it sucks.

Super Moderator

United States
    Kids who are afraid of male genitalia aside, I thought I'd pop in and just say...Yes, I've finally finished reading your review MZ (and I started reading that sucker last month!!1!11!).

I'll just say, MZ, that I could tell you were struggling through your hate of ZS to be somewhat balanced in your review and it was a valiant fight you put up and as someone who liked the movie, I do appreciate it. You made some decent points, though--personally--I don't mind the music so much, as a lot of the music used in the film was referenced in the books and even when it was jarring, it often got my attention and after the fact I found myself thinking about the scenes.

I agree with Bassman that Snyder is settling for (or perhaps only capable of, or happy with) being an "inker", though I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. People can do cool things within their limitations, especially on a commercial basis and still do a fine job, while not approaching the true geniuses of their field--that's what most people earning a living wage in a creative/artistic field end up doing, in my opinion.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 14-Apr-2009 at 03:11 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll just say, MZ, that I could tell you were struggling through your hate of ZS to be somewhat balanced in your review and it was a valiant fight you put up and as someone who liked the movie, I do appreciate it.
    Glad you appreciate the effort.

The music wasn't a major issue, but it did feel very music video-ey when it came up. Sometimes it was jarring, other times it fit, sometimes the music became too centre stage - and well, ZS is a music video director, so I guess no wonder if can at times feel like a music video (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot).

hehe, aye, it was a right old rant so it was, eh?

Mind you - even Banksy (that was Jason Lee's character's name, right?) in Chasing Amy went beyond being an "inker" and did "Baby Dave" all on his own.

Also - what a weird spambot - clearly an actual person, but they were promoting contact lenses ... how odd, they're so often 'bots' ... I guess we were treated to "the personal touch" this time, eh?

Super Moderator

United States
    Yes...yes...I can agree that there were some music video moments. For example, I still like the use of Hendrix for the one scene...but it caught me off guard and I totally get how it doesn't fit for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Also - what a weird spambot - clearly an actual person, but they were promoting contact lenses ... how odd, they're so often 'bots' ... I guess we were treated to "the personal touch" this time, eh?
    Oh, he was a spammer? Good, good...hearing yet again about how harrowing an experience seeing a blue penis was for some dude is ban worthy enough, imo

In general the spammers have been getting a bit more...human(!) and correspondingly tricky the last few days here. Maybe they're...evolving

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Kazakhstan
    Yeah you're right about Snyder not being a visionary, he's just a trained mtv alumni monkey boy, technically competent & with a certain flair for visuals & action, but no real soul or inspiration.

Read the book though it's going cheap in a lot of places, and kicks the crap out of the film.

edit - how do we know he wasn't just a person with a contact lens business and not a spambot? He hasn't tried pimping his stuff on the boards
    Last edited by _liam_; 14-Apr-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Super Moderator

UK
    edit - how do we know he wasn't just a person with a contact lens business and not a spambot? He hasn't tried pimping his stuff on the boards
    There's a website we use, a database of spambots - it was on that - plus, the same profile came up on a myriad of forums.

Indeed - I'm going to get the book sometime soon, I'm just waiting until I finish another book I'm on, plus I want to spread out some of my spending at the moment. Although my birthday is coming up soon, I might whack it on "the list" instead.

Yeah you're right about Snyder not being a visionary, he's just a trained mtv alumni monkey boy, technically competent & with a certain flair for visuals & action, but no real soul or inspiration.
    High five.